Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tour de France 2022

Vingegaard has been a revelation this tour. Thomas is sticking with it but not really a winner. Froome has shown signs of coming back, in spite of his age. Quintana still can't quite get there. Sorry for Pidcock today who was looking good for top ten It's certainly not been a sprinters race ( I see Cav is threatening to return next year). A bit of a worry is the times. A few days at least, they have come home inside the fastest estimated time 🤔

What with the stages being shortened, are the predicted times based on enough data to be regarded as gospel?

Plus the age of the top riders has reduced a lot, presumably because of more scientific/bigger budget youth development. Used to be that you weren't expected to complete a grand tour with a good time unless you had "matured". How do you go about comparing Pog's data with the riders of 10 years ago?

I've had my chain snap on a climb before. I didn't have a support car though, and so had to wheel my bike about three miles back to town.

prod2924_Silver_NE_01

49422.jpg

Jesus pog down. Not bad though. Just after Jonas' wobble.

Aww... they're quite sweet though, Jonas waited up.

(I assume there's a degree of 'maybe let's not push this descent quite so hard')

I want Pog to win but Ving should have drilled it. Stage racing has so many weird etiquettes; if someone crashed during a Monument the other guy would just pedal like hell and rightly so as rule number one is stay on your bike.

Unbelievable sportsmanship really from Jonas, could have easily just carried on and taken the advantage there but wants to win this on fairer terms. Two riders miles apart from everyone else, racing their own race really.

I'm fearing the Jumbo doctor is the key team player. I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but that was pretty alarming.
I dunno. They’re either all at it again, or the sport is clean and (known, established) gains in training, nutrition and equipment are as beneficial as they’re said to be.

Either way, I’m happy to just watch the spectacle, it’s been the best tour for years.

Pog's fall might have been 'minor' by tdf standards, but you could see he'd lost a fair bit of skin. Only needed to be off his game by a few percentage points for Jonas to take that kind of time.

Not that I'm going to say there's no doping in the peloton... But I don't think you can just extrapolate from relative performance on the day. Also Vingegaard's attack on stage 11 saw him hit 6.1-6.3w/kg for 15 minutes or so. The likes of Pantani, Ullrich etc were doing far higher numbers than that. Think Armstrong could get mid 6s for 30 minutes, close to 7 for 20 minutes (am not going to do a deep dive to look up confirmed figures). And as Bees says we do have actual, measurable improvements in training, nutrition etc. The tech one sometimes leaves me with a bit of a raised eyebrow (always seems to be '1-2 watts' for whatever vastly expensive thing ceramicspeed is trying to shift). But I think broader stuff like lighter aero wheels, better rider comfort, better shifting, braking etc are on firmer ground.

And yeah, this tour has been phenomenal.

I dunno. They’re either all at it again, or the sport is clean and (known, established) gains in training, nutrition and equipment are as beneficial as they’re said to be.

Either way, I’m happy to just watch the spectacle, it’s been the best tour for years.

Van Aert > Laurent Jalabert

The tech one sometimes leaves me with a bit of a raised eyebrow (always seems to be '1-2 watts' for whatever vastly expensive thing ceramicspeed is trying to shift). But I think broader stuff like lighter aero wheels, better rider comfort, better shifting, braking etc are on firmer ground.

The stuff CeramicSpeed sells is mostly laughable outside of a wind tunnel, but the bikes nowadays are measurably and significantly faster. Advances in clothing add another key watt saving. Both are noticeable for even an average rider, never mind at the speeds the biological freaks of the peloton can manage.

Reactions: Cid
Back
Top Bottom