Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Steven van de Velde convicted rapist & paedophile competes

I don't think that's obvious, not from what I've seen reported. He clearly does not consider himself to be a paedophile, but that's not quite the same as thinking he did nothing wrong.
I feel that the law in Holland doesn't see him as a paedophile either. But in heavens name, he raped someone.

He should not have gone.. And he should have had the cop to have stood down himself. Obviously he doesn't believe he did anything wrong.

That’s not obvious at all. He’s said he considered it the biggest mistake of his life. Whether or not that constitutes contrition is another matter.

I don't think that's obvious, not from what I've seen reported. He clearly does not consider himself to be a paedophile, but that's not quite the same as thinking he did nothing wrong.

I think it was his own comments that made me feel less sympathetic towards him.

"After coming out of jail, he gave an interview to Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad, and said: “I do want to correct all the nonsense that has been written about me when I was locked up. I did not read any of it, on purpose, but I understand that it was quite bad, that I have been branded as a sex monster, as a paedophile. That I am not – really not.”

From Sue's post below..
And in his own words:

'After coming out of jail, he gave an interview to Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad, and said: “I do want to correct all the nonsense that has been written about me when I was locked up. I did not read any of it, on purpose, but I understand that it was quite bad, that I have been branded as a sex monster, as a paedophile. That I am not – really not.”'

That doesn't exactly sound like he's remorseful, does it?

He seems to lack an awareness of his actions and the impact they had on the girl..who went on to attempt to take her own life.

That’s not obvious at all. He’s said he considered it the biggest mistake of his life. Whether or not that constitutes contrition is another matter.

Bit too easy calling rape a mistake.
He booked a return flight ffs.. met her and raped her 3 times KNOWING she was 12.
That's not a mistake. That's a series of steps taken over time. He knew dawn we'll what he was doing was wrong.

I feel that the law in Holland doesn't see him as a paedophile either. But in heavens name, he raped someone.
The law in Holland, like the law in the UK, has a grey area. Here, that grey area is 13–15, in Holland it is 12–15. He falls outside the UK's grey area and inside the Dutch one, but the legal positions of each country are not wildly different.

Right. But a few seconds ago you were saying he didn’t think he’d done anything wrong.
He was not remorseful in his comments on leaving prison.

Doesn't mean he didn't know what he was doing was wrong. He just chose to say he didn't know it was wrong. It's ridiculous..and a lie. The Netherlands of ALL countries teaches sex ed very well. They start when children are very young
And he would have known that what he was doing was not ok

The age of consent is 16 in the Netherlands.
He would know this also. And whereas there is a grey area for consensual sex amongst teenagers, there is an acknowledgement regarding the difference in age according to the age gap. She was 12 ..he was..19? If he was 16 it might have been viewed slightly differently. If it HAS been consensual. But we know that the girl was traumatised by it and attempted suicide... so it was not entirely consensual or she did not fully understand what was going on.

Last edited:
I decided to look up the law in the Netherlands, in case "fornication" was a matter of mistranslation or something, and sadly it turns out it means the same thing as it does here.

The Netherlands has very recently changed their law so that the crime of rape does not require violence or the threat of violence. When this piece of shit was convicted it didn't matter that his victim hadn't consented, because he didn't beat her up as well.

That law literally changed this month. The very same month a high-profile perpetrator of that crime was chosen to be a hero for the country.

I don't think people should be punished forever for their crimes once they're rehabilitated, but this guy wasn't punished at all and, from his lack of remorse, doesn't seem to have been rehabilitated.

And if you're put forward to represent your country, in a role people hero-worship, then you should be held to higher standards than for any old job. You shouldn't be expected to be perfect by any means, but "not being a child rapist" is hardly too much to ask, is it?

I decided to look up the law in the Netherlands, in case "fornication" was a matter of mistranslation or something, and sadly it turns out it means the same thing as it does here.

The Netherlands has very recently changed their law so that the crime of rape does not require violence or the threat of violence. When this piece of shit was convicted it didn't matter that his victim hadn't consented, because he didn't beat her up as well.

That law literally changed this month. The very same month a high-profile perpetrator of that crime was chosen to be a hero for the country.

I don't think people should be punished forever for their crimes once they're rehabilitated, but this guy wasn't punished at all and, from his lack of remorse, doesn't seem to have been rehabilitated.

And if you're put forward to represent your country, in a role people hero-worship, then you should be held to higher standards than for any old job. You shouldn't be expected to be perfect by any means, but "not being a child rapist" is hardly too much to ask, is it?
It was already a heinous crime but the more you read the worse it gets from every angle. Doesn't think he did much wrong and got away with a far lighter sentence than he would have got today/or ever in lots of other countries.

Maybe you should be criticising the guy who raped a 12 yr old instead of pretending that you've caught me out.

😁

My opinion of the scumbag isn't the point at hand. If I had my way he'd still be in prison, rendering this thread moot.

But you're doing that weird thing of saying one thing that is disagreed with, then saying the opposite in its defence, as if that's what you meant in the first place!

My opinion of the scumbag isn't the point at hand. If I had my way he'd still be in prison, rendering this thread moot.

But you're doing that weird thing of saying one thing that is disagreed with, then saying the opposite in its defence, as if that's what you meant in the first place!

Not really.
I believe he knew what he was doing was wrong... And that he decided to say that he didn't know what he was doing was wrong when caught... ..so that he would not get a longer sentence. He then messed up that scenario on release, by implying he didn't think he had done much wrong. If anyone is messed up it's him.

Back
Top Bottom