Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tour de France 2022

Not with standing, the final day traditionally ends in Paris. The circuit is tight, the riders can always see everyone and there are cobbles. Not very good for anyone
wanting to make a break for it.

Everyone knew this tour wasn’t one for the sprinters, in hindsight should Cav have been picked, as if he’d managed just one stage win that would have been massive?

On the basis that their team had little hope for the GC, and TdF (and all pro-racing) is effectively an exhibition for the sponsors, I always found it fairly astounding that they thought they could produce any coverage better than Cav beating the Mercx record.

On the basis that their team had little hope for the GC, and TdF (and all pro-racing) is effectively an exhibition for the sponsors, I always found it fairly astounding that they thought they could produce any coverage better than Cav beating the Mercx record.
Exactly, all the way to Paris the story would still have been about Cav, can he do it? assuming he hadn't done it on the 2nd day! If i was a sponsor i wouldnt be happy as they were anonymous after the second day.

It made sense to me. Quickstep believed they had the best sprinter in the world on their books in Fabio Jakobsen. He's 25 and they wanted him long term so they had to bring him to the big one. I'm sure the sponsors were consulted especially Soudal who take over as the main sponsor next year when the team will be called Soudal-Quickstep.
As it turned out Philipsen won two stages though a lot of that was down to a better ability to perform after the mountains and the Quickstep team was depleted. Nevertheless Jakobsen is still in the top 3 of sprinters (Groenewegen being the other one) which is quite a feat considering he was in an induced coma two years ago.

Last edited:
I have a new found respect for pog after the way he kept on trying to attack. could be the start of an interesting rivalry between the 2.

He's a kid who just seems to really like racing. I've total respect for him because he has also won two of the one day Monuments which is very unusual in the modern era for Tour winners to even enter let alone win.

He's a kid who just seems to really like racing. I've total respect for him because he has also won two of the one day Monuments which is very unusual in the modern era for Tour winners to even enter let alone win.
he really is something isn't he. really interesting time generally with the crop of young riders around at the moment.

Some interesting stages, what with cobbles, gravel climbs, climbs that haven't been climbed in years and some great attacking. Also, liked the changes to the Champs Elysee. No major accidents caused by fans or otherwise. All in all, pretty good.

So, how do people rate this tour? Easily the best in years imo.

It's a meh from me as Van Aert reminds me way too much of Jalabert '95. I take your argument that VA might be a one in a generation talent but I've never seen such a level recovery or feats of endurance since 1995. Good solid pros were riding around France looking like makeweights.
Then again maybe it's just cos I can't stand Jumbo - at least it gives me others to cheer for. I really enjoyed yesterday's Tour of Wallonia and looking forward to San Sebastián on Saturday.

So, how do people rate this tour? Easily the best in years imo.

Absolutely. The racing, Bridge, Van Aert, The Pog vs Rest of the World show in all disciplines... was a great spectacle and contest.

Though I think I've changed my mind on a Roubaix stage. It's bullshit. in fact, I think I only ever supported such a concept was in the Froome skytrain era, hoping one of them would fuck up :D

Back
Top Bottom