Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tour de France 2023

Maybe I’m naive but thought this moment was a great. If you’re going to try and block the race you’ve got to do it properly and fair play for ignoring the intimidation but nothing wrong with trying.

Philipsen has already been a bit naughty in the a couple of the sprints he won so it's another excuse to call him out. the second block when they Eenckhorn (sp?) went to the right hand side was fairly dangerous. Anyway karma one, if Alpecin weren't so busy spending energy policing riders then they might have caught the break

Well that was close.
I'd love to see 21 stages of terrain similar to this :)

Start off in the Basque Country go up to Brittany, take in Roubaix area, slide into Wallonia, down for a good few days in the Massif Central and onto Paris.

I'd love to see 21 stages of terrain similar to this :)

Start off in the Basque Country go up to Brittany, take in Roubaix area, slide into Wallonia, down for a good few days in the Massif Central and onto Paris.

Pffff... That would be utterly savage.

Great for Mohoric anyway, and great to see Bahrain win again this year. That always feels a bit wrong; the team - fuck off countries sponsoring teams. And fracking companies too. Mainly supermarkets and interior finishing please. But yeah, for Gino and what seem like a decent group of lads.

Pffff... That would be utterly savage.

Great for Mohoric anyway, and great to see Bahrain win again this year. That always feels a bit wrong; the team - fuck off countries sponsoring teams. And fracking companies too. Mainly supermarkets and interior finishing please. But yeah, for Gino and what seem like a decent group of lads.

His interview was really heartwarming. One of the most likeable and entertaining riders in the peloton. I'm a bit of a Wolfpack stan but was equally happy with whoever won that. And kudos to Ben O'Connor who kept riding when he knew he probably had a 100/1 shot at winning against those two.

Meanwhile Philipsen really seems a prick. He was shouting at Mads Pedersen (who did most of the pulling when MvdP couldn't) and there was also a nice camera shot of Alberto Bettiol (another engine) basically telling him to go fuck himself. Who does he think he is? A guy with a few TdF stage wins to his name telling a world champ and a champion of Flanders what to. He's not worthy!

His interview was really heartwarming. One of the most likeable and entertaining riders in the peloton. I'm a bit of a Wolfpack stan but was equally happy with whoever won that. And kudos to Ben O'Connor who kept riding when he knew he probably had a 100/1 shot at winning against those two.

Meanwhile Philipsen really seems a prick. He was shouting at Mads Pedersen (who did most of the pulling when MvdP couldn't) and there was also a nice camera shot of Alberto Bettiol (another engine) basically telling him to go fuck himself. Who does he think he is? A guy with a few TdF stage wins to his name telling a world champ and a champion of Flanders what to. He's not worthy!

Yeah, disappointed in Philipsen's behaviour this tour... Was inclined to be sympathetic after the premature celebration/came across ok in the Netflix thing. I tend to be quite forgiving of antics, thinking about how I'd behave under all those different pressures, so I dunno, I'll give him a chance. Go and see the team psych. But it is shit.

O'Connor post race was great - just like 'yeah mate, didn't really expect to be there, didn't have much of chance, fun though eh?'. Also glad he's finishing on a relatively positive note.

e2a: I don't really like the wolfpack... Not so much because of the riders, they've always given us good racing. The best racing. But Lefevre I don't like and I'm pretty sure Bramati has killed, and will kill again if Philipsen doesn't win another stage. Also, y'know, don't name yourselves after nazi submarine tactics.

Last edited:
Also only just got round to watching Mohoric post race, respect to him for giving credit to the work of mechanics and other staff. And just for honesty on the imposter syndrome stuff and the complexity of it all.

What a difference a year makes eh?

jkPkTR28VRsqiNG7Nq6fV.jpg

e2a: I don't really like the wolfpack... Not so much because of the riders, they've always given us good racing. The best racing. But Lefevre I don't like and I'm pretty sure Bramati has killed, and will kill again if Philipsen doesn't win another stage. Also, y'know, don't name yourselves after nazi submarine tactics.
What? Bob Jungels (who coined the nickname) is a student of aquatic warfare?

What? Bob Jungels (who coined the nickname) is a student of aquatic warfare?

Fuck's sake, I can't find any prominent Kriegsmarine officers with the surname Jungels.

It's still a weird choice though. But I don't think Bob's a Nazi. Lefevre and Bramati probably encouraged him. Obviously why he left. :hmm:

Fuck's sake, I can't find any prominent Kriegsmarine officers with the surname Jungels.

It's still a weird choice though. But I don't think Bob's a Nazi. Lefevre and Bramati probably encouraged him. Obviously why he left. :hmm:
What have you got against Bramati? Doping?

thanks to everyone for your comments, i love cycling but i can't follow it much and youse are pointing out things i didn't even know i should be paying attention to.

thanks to everyone for your comments, i love cycling but i can't follow it much and youse are pointing out things i didn't even know i should be paying attention to.

It is difficult to really get under the bonnet. People who don't get follow it think, well it's a race so the fastest cyclist wins and that's all there is too it..

Yeah going to altitude is one of the more plausible ways of doping... hormone levels change legitimately, so you can blur the lines for the ABP. The unknown in that is how effective testing at altitude camps is, and whether teams would risk direct detection.

Nah, just the way he came across in the Netflix thing.
Still not seen that but his appearances in The Nazi Submarine Pilots, I mean The Wolfpack (on Prime) shows him as an ultra intense but funny guy. If I was a screenwriter I’d pitch a series a series about cycling along the lines of The Bear but about cycling.

Still not seen that but his appearances in The Nazi Submarine Pilots, I mean The Wolfpack (on Prime) shows him as an ultra intense but funny guy. If I was a screenwriter I’d pitch a series a series about cycling along the lines of The Bear but about cycling.

Oh it might have been that, the two got mixed together in my head.

Also would watch. Although I think cycling might be a particularly hard sport to get right in fictional media.

Also only just got round to watching Mohoric post race, respect to him for giving credit to the work of mechanics and other staff. And just for honesty on the imposter syndrome stuff and the complexity of it all.
It’s classic “the strongest rider doesn’t always win” as he admitted he struggled to follow Asgreen. Hanging on is how he won it.Respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cid
What have you got against Bramati? Doping?

I was drunkenly getting my blue teams and directors in a muddle; I meant Christoph Roodhoft, who of course is more relevant to Philipsen. Bramati is er... well. I'm not sure I'd want him as a sports director, but he is hilarious and probably hasn't killed. Not in malice anyway.

Lefevre puts me off the wolfpack. Because he's just a prick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom