Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tour de France 2023

Yeah the problem with the idea of someone like Vinge riding for Rog is that everyone knows it's fake. It's not some honourable 'now you take your turn' thing, it's a race. Also there are a grand total of 10 people who have won 2 grand tours in a year; Coppi (2), Anquetil (2), Mercx (3+triple crown), Hinault (3), Battaglin (1), Roche (1x triple crown), Indurain (2), Pantani, Contador, Froome. Admittedly also a somewhat tainted list so er... And the Giro is more prestigious (not that that would make much sense this year). But there just aren't that many chances in a career, and in the modern world the Giro before the tour would be somewhat risky, particularly for a defending winner. It could pan out than Jonas can't sustain it, then it gets useful having Rog in there of course... But it is all about working out the parameters of Jonas' career, and taking advantage of every possible opportunity while he's at his peak.

Last edited:
Rarely a dull moment. I think this was my favourite bit way back on stage two:

Watched that again, yes for pure inspirational attack that has to be the win of the tour. Not so spectacular but Rodriguez's split second passing of the leaders atop the Col de Joux Plane was classy Stage 14.

Watched that again, yes for pure inspirational attack that has to be the win of the tour. Not so spectacular but Rodriguez's split second passing of the leaders atop the Col de Joux Plane was classy Stage 14.
The confused looks on the Jumbo riders faces when he whizzes is past is priceless. Iirc that was the stage the Belgian press really laid into Vinge for not helping their golden calf who they expected to win that stage.

Think ITV just has highlights & live coverage is Eurosport & GCN.
Thanks. Highlights are all I strictly need. I was worried because the only Freeview channel who had the Giro was S4C, and the novelty of watching stages in a language I know nothing of, save for the odd SFA or Gorky's lyrics, fell away quite quickly.

Thanks. Highlights are all I strictly need. I was worried because the only Freeview channel who had the Giro was S4C, and the novelty of watching stages in a language I know nothing of, save for the odd SFA or Gorky's lyrics, fell away quite quickly.
Realised I was wrong about this - not on ITV4 but looks like they’re on Quest which I can’t work out how to get.

For highlights I usually just watch Lanterne Rouge on youtube, or listen to their podcast. Podcast usually comes out pretty soon after a stage, then Patrick does his youtube highlights a few hours later (presumably because it takes a fair bit more editing, he has access to race footage).

Come to think of it I wonder whether the highlight footage is a standard selection? Have to work that out one day. Presumably it is to some extent, but what extent? :hmm:

We don’t have an aerial so just watch through a Fire Stick which I can’t find it on. I’ve got GCN but not a fan of their highlights - have you seen the Quest ones? Are they any good?
It's basically the GNC coverage condensed into an hour: intro from Orla, 40 minutes of Kirby, Kelly and McEwan, and then Orla analysing and previewing with Lloyd and Blythe.

I like Eurosport for the coverage but am heartily sick of Carlton Kirby and Rob Hatch, and to a lesser extent Orla too.

Back
Top Bottom