Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cricket World Cup 2023

398 is a long way, even if you get to half-way in decent shape. This will take the third-highest second-innings total and second-highest successful chase in ODI history, not just WC history.

Didn't matter in the end, but this is why I thought Pakistan's DLS win over NZ when they weren't even half-way was a nonsense.

Yep, when you have cramp, it's just a matter of manning up.

Daryl Mitchell btw. I guess we can't call him underrated any more. He's building an amazing career for someone who didn't play any internationals until he was 28.

Didn't matter in the end, but this is why I thought Pakistan's DLS win over NZ when they weren't even half-way was a nonsense.
Eh? What was a nonsense about it? They scored half the runs off 3 more balls than half the overs for loss of one wicket!

Eh? What was a nonsense about it? They scored half the runs off 3 more balls than half the overs for loss of one wicket!
Yes. But there was still the other half to get. And that's really hard. Most of the time, teams fail to sustain that rate. More often than not, at some point, set batters get out and it goes pear-shaped.

Pakistan were still odds-against winning that game despite negotiating the first half successfully - because the target was so high. They were half-way towards the second-highest successful chase in ODI history - that's nearly 5,000 games. It should have been declared a no-result, imo. But luckily it didn't matter much. NZ would have finished fourth anyway.

NZ did well to keep hope alive for as long as they did. So not quite the one-sided affair it threatened to be, but the Indian machine is still operating far too well for anyone to live with it. There are no weak links. The only hope I can see for the other team in the final is that one of the Indian bowlers breaks down.

Yep, when you have cramp, it's just a matter of manning up.

Daryl Mitchell btw. I guess we can't call him underrated any more. He's building an amazing career for someone who didn't play any internationals until he was 28.

He's not the most glamorous of players but I fucking love the way he likes to just tonk it straight down over the bowler. Fast bowlers really don't like that. The contrast between him and Willliamson. :D

Should've played Neesham. He's inconsistent but on his day he might have pulled it off.

Is the 264 just assuming they'll keep going at this run rate? Which normally doesn't happen. (Take your point though)

Nope, it's a worthless prediction. Even worse is cricinfo's 'win predictor' that at the end is capable of going from 85% for one team to 85% for the other in a matter of balls.

These things are worthless.

Last edited:
Struggling to think of a bigger choke than this, in any sport.

Super Bowl XLII comes close - but that wasn't in Boston, in front of the leader of Boston, in a ground named after him. Also that was a lot closer than this has been.

Back
Top Bottom