Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

T20 Cricket World Cup

Afghanistan shouldn't be anywhere near any of these tournaments anyway. If other sports are banning Russian athletes from everything then its quite grotesque that these guys are living it up in the Caribbean with the Taliban's full blessing. As for Trott and Bravo. Shameless.
I'm conflicted on that. Surely the team is in just about the same position as players under any vile regime. Maybe we'd like them to refuse to play, but it won't happen
The real issue the ICC should take a stance on is the disgusting treatment of women players in Afghanistan. Well, treatment of women full stop.

I'll admit I don't know the detail, but the ICC should be in the firing line before the male players.

I'm conflicted on that. Surely the team is in just about the same position as players under any vile regime. Maybe we'd like them to refuse to play, but it won't happen
The real issue the ICC should take a stance on is the disgusting treatment of women players in Afghanistan. Well, treatment of women full stop.

I'll admit I don't know the detail, but the ICC should be in the firing line before the male players.
This is the point right here. It's not about banning countries with nasty regimes. That's a huge rabbit hole - ban the US, anyone, or the UK? But equality of opportunity for women to play is a simple, non-partisan point to make. Afghanistan is the only cricket nation that bans women from playing.

Well I wouldn't be taking a salary and calls from the Taliban leadership if I was Trott or Bravo. Nope, I wouldn't work for them and cannot support them, even if they do knock out the Aussies.

Watching them sitting there in the dugout with their backwards caps and feet up in the sunshine (sans burka of course, coz hey they've got penises), laughing away while meanwhile back in Afghanistan hell is being wrought upon women. No.

This is the point right here. It's not about banning countries with nasty regimes. That's a huge rabbit hole - ban the US, anyone, or the UK? But equality of opportunity for women to play is a simple, non-partisan point to make. Afghanistan is the only cricket nation that bans women from playing.
Yeah, it would be tough on the men, especially now, but there's a massive issue of sporting equality there.

Well I wouldn't be taking a salary and calls from the Taliban leadership if I was Trott or Bravo. Nope, I wouldn't work for them and cannot support them, even if they do knock out the Aussies.

Watching them sitting there in the dugout with their backwards caps and feet up in the sunshine (sans burka of course, coz hey they've got penises), laughing away while meanwhile back in Afghanistan hell is being wrought upon women. No.
Until 2 minutes ago I hadn't realised Trott only took over in 2022. Very much in the Taliban era. So yeah fuck him, 100%.

Until 2 minutes ago I hadn't realised Trott only took over in 2022. Very much in the Taliban era. So yeah fuck him, 100%.
He's almost certainly nevet set foot in Afghanistan. The team is based in India. I doubt any of them go back very often. They're a wandering group of exiles, effectively. Not to excuse it, but that's the context.

The argument made originally was that the Taliban didn't care if the men's team was banned or not, so banning them wouldn't make much difference. Bad argument anyway, but it's clearly not true. They do care and they do take the opportunity to congratulate the team.

Oh I think do care and they're very proud of them. They're the only positive thing being about the country being broadcast on the global stage. Rashid is a superstar in the country and I wish he would take the opportunity to use his celebrity to condemn his 'goverment'

Rather naively, I'd assumed the team played abroad because they were seeking to escape the Taliban. :facepalm: Whilst I imagine that was in the mix at one time, a couple of minutes reading suggests that's not at all where things are at now. And that must have been very clear to the likes of Trott even before he took over. He's not an Afghan, he's not an Afghan player, he's someone who could have quite easily put his principles first (assuming he has the rights principles anyway). So, fuck him.

Afghanistan thrashed. Now it's England's turn. Or is it? There's every chance of rain, in which case India win.

But this is why, and how, TV money from India is ruining cricket. And I quote;

First and absolutely foremost, however, it is a television product; the first in a four-year deal that cost Star India $3bn and represents 90% of the International Cricket Council’s revenue. Star wanted consistent start times for India throughout – 10.30am local time to make it 8pm viewing back home – and just a day out from the fixtures being released in January the broadcaster is said to have successfully lobbied to make this the case during the group stages, along with 25 of the 55 games overall.

But with the first semi-final in Trinidad always down to be played at night, and the second slated for Guyana at 10.30am the following day – itself a climbdown after Cricket West Indies originally asked for all three knockout games to be evening affairs – the odds facing the punters this week were something neither Star nor the ICC were willing to take on. A playing regulation was inserted to ensure India would definitely be in Guyana regardless of finishing first or second in their Super Eight group. Every country nodded along to this, their split of the kitty too alluring to make a fuss about a trifling issue such as sporting integrity.

June is Guyana’s wettest month – 359mm of rain on average – and the forecasts look a bit iffy.

At the very least it'll be broken up. I can't remember what time of year the 2007 50 over version was in the Caribbean, but I went to the whole thing pretty much and don't recall a drop of rain. Tis a shame, a wasted opportunity not to host the final in the US as well.

At the very least it'll be broken up. I can't remember what time of year the 2007 50 over version was in the Caribbean, but I went to the whole thing pretty much and don't recall a drop of rain. Tis a shame, a wasted opportunity not to host the final in the US as well.
Think that took place in March and April....

Afghanistan thrashed. Now it's England's turn. Or is it? There's every chance of rain, in which case India win.

But this is why, and how, TV money from India is ruining cricket. And I quote;

First and absolutely foremost, however, it is a television product; the first in a four-year deal that cost Star India $3bn and represents 90% of the International Cricket Council’s revenue. Star wanted consistent start times for India throughout – 10.30am local time to make it 8pm viewing back home – and just a day out from the fixtures being released in January the broadcaster is said to have successfully lobbied to make this the case during the group stages, along with 25 of the 55 games overall.

But with the first semi-final in Trinidad always down to be played at night, and the second slated for Guyana at 10.30am the following day – itself a climbdown after Cricket West Indies originally asked for all three knockout games to be evening affairs – the odds facing the punters this week were something neither Star nor the ICC were willing to take on. A playing regulation was inserted to ensure India would definitely be in Guyana regardless of finishing first or second in their Super Eight group. Every country nodded along to this, their split of the kitty too alluring to make a fuss about a trifling issue such as sporting integrity.

June is Guyana’s wettest month – 359mm of rain on average – and the forecasts look a bit iffy.
I listened to a TMS podcast and they spoke about this. I think it was Geoff Lemon who said that one of the ideas behind T20 is that it's an evening fixture so that people can go after work, families can attend etc.. and the TV rights deal just goes against.

Plus playing it in different countries is supposed to the reflect that country and should be played at times that are convenient for that country and the people who live there. It should be for the live audience attending the matches not the TV audience

Link here if anyone is interested Test Match Special - T20 World Cup: It's time for the semi-finals! - BBC Sounds

You wouldn't host it in June in Florida, though.

It's a facilities issue in the US. They built a ground from scratch, which they are now dismantling, at a cost of $30 million. It's actually a bit of a bonkers and wasteful thing to do. Plus no floodlights, drainage issues...

And let's face it, expats from India, Pakistan, the Caribbean, follow cricket in the US. Nobody else does. The US-India game had 95% India support in the ground.

I see SA crushed Afghanistan last night. Only problem with t20 is it sometimes produces non-events like that.

SA and India have been the best two teams in the tournament. If India win today, the overall winner will have a perfect 9/9 win record.

Yeah but 56 all out is pretty special.
it's not just t20. It's true of all limited overs contests. Back in the day, with 10:30 starts in September, whoever batted first in the Gillette Cup final was just trying not to lose in the first hour, and often not succeeding. It can ruin the game as a spectacle.

it's not just t20. It's true of all limited overs contests. Back in the day, with 10:30 starts in September, whoever batted first in the Gillette Cup final was just trying not to lose in the first hour, and often not succeeding. It can ruin the game as a spectacle.

And yet Afghanistan won the toss and chose to bat :facepalm:

Yeah watching the highlights, it was rearing up off a length and moving all over the place. A few Afghan batters just missed straight ones, though.

Back
Top Bottom