Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

County Cricket 2024

tbf though that is exactly the approach morgan would have taken. idiotic. but gets the headlines.

Well, no, in this case Morgan was spot on. I mean just take the bye and hope the keeper misses which he probably would have.

I've read this three times and can't make any sense of it.

Edit didn't see your post correcting yourself before I posted this.

Shame about piers Morgan, but yes, a brilliant catch. Glove off for the run-out. I don't think I've seen that before. Good idea.

I have. It's a thing these days probably more in 20/20. Last ball deciders. But I don't remember seeing a catch without a glove, and a great catch at that.

I have. It's a thing these days probably more in 20/20. Last ball deciders. But I don't remember seeing a catch without a glove, and a great catch at that.

I don't think I've ever seen it in a 600 first-class run chase. Dhoni does it in ludicrous wham-bam IPL games. But this.... just bunt the ball or take the bye. What was he thinking? Was there no mid-pitch conversation? :facepalm: :D

Kevin Howells on the radio points out that Somerset are on for the Treble. Finals Day of the Blast on Saturday then the 50-over final a week later.

Eight points behind Surrey in the CC. That is just striking distance if Surrey draw and Somerset win.

and :) at kent managing a draw
Kent are virtually doomed.

Need to beat Notts next week and win their last game and hope that Notts lose their last game and hope that Lancs do no better than one defeat and one draw in their final two games.

It's not impossible. It is highly improbable.

All 20 Surrey wickets fell to the two spinners. Nine for Leach, 11 for 18-year-old Archie Vaughan (son of Michael, but we shouldn't hold that against him).

Shakib got nine for Surrey (flown in specially for this game), but perhaps they will reflect that they came into the game a spinner light. Somerset know their conditions and trust their spinners, who bowled 155 overs between them out of 191 total overs.

ETA: Looking at the match figures, it all looks very puzzling from Surrey. Aside from Shakib, only six other overs of spin were bowled. I know nothing about Cameron Steel other than what cricinfo tells me, but he appears to be a former batting allrounder who's now being picked more for his bowling. Batting down at 9, he bagged a pair. And he bowled six overs for 38 runs. I would suggest that they got something wrong there.

Last edited:
Gloucestershire win their first T20 Blast title in Mark Alleyne's first season back as head coach. Not a coincidence, I don't think. It's crazy how Alleyne has been passed over for major coaching jobs in the last 15 years or so. Crazy and shameful.

David Lawrence is president of Gloucestershire. Diagnosed with MND this year. :(

A Gloucester team with eight home-grown players. Doing something right, and a timely reminder of the value of the 'small' counties.

CC looks to be heading back to The Oval. Surrey have four batting points and a lead of 150 over Durham. Somerset currently face chasing 290 and counting to beat Lancs, with three Lancs wickets still to take.

Realistically, Somerset must win to keep their hopes alive. Even if they do win, Surrey will be 4 points ahead if they draw and 12 points ahead if they win. So Somerset reallly need Durham to mount a remarkable comeback.

ETA:

Not helped by Durham losing the nightwatchman first ball.

Kent are virtually doomed.

Need to beat Notts next week and win their last game and hope that Notts lose their last game and hope that Lancs do no better than one defeat and one draw in their final two games.

It's not impossible. It is highly improbable.

i think the improbability factor is increasing...

:(

i think the improbability factor is increasing...

:(

Kent need to beat Notts after following on, and they will then need Notts to take zero points from their last game. That means scoring under 250 in their first innings, taking fewer than three wickets in the first 110 overs of their opponents' first innings and then losing the game.

With Notts taking zero points, Kent will need maximum points in their last game. So 450+ score and bowl the opposition out, then win.

Then all that's needed is for Lancs to lose vs Somerset and not win their last game.

Not down yet.

Geli can breath easily now. Sussex are officially up and unofficially will win Div 2.

Things looking good for Surrey and bad for Somerset. Kent almost officially down now. Will happen today. Lancs will need to beat Somerset to avoid joining them this week.

Kent have had a stinker of a season.

The averages tell the story. No batter who's played in more than one game has an average over 36. No bowler who's taken 10 or more wickets is averaging under 34. Top wicket-taker Matt Parkinson has 30 wickets at 53!

Mediocre batting and ineffective bowling. Choosing player of the season is going to be tricky. Nobody has done well.

How I prefer to think of KCC…

The History of Kent County Cricket Club – Part Seven: The Glory ...

Somerset may be on course for another one of their second-place specials. Second in the Blast, probably now either second or third in the championship, and the 50-over cup final to come at the weekend. Lose that and they may well finish second in everything.

Geli can breath easily now. Sussex are officially up and unofficially will win Div 2.

4 MORE POINTS! 4 MORE POINTS!

Big credit to Cheteshwar Pujara who has seen us through a rebuilding with young players. And getting his mate Unadkat to join this year didn't hurt either. But seriously, Pujara, a man who just loves cricket (and is very good at it), joining an inexperienced team to keep them together and give them confidence - massive respect.

And John Simpson. Thanks Middlesex.

Back
Top Bottom