Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2023

Its definitely not good prep for Starc/Cummins/Hazlewood no. I guess nobody else was available. They should at least warm up against an England A side.

Pre 2005 Ashes England played some Mickey Mouse games purely to attain the winning mentality.

Crawley’s 50 ties down his spot for the next 2 years.

Crawley doesn't stand a chance against the Aussies' new ball attack. It will be interesting to see if he does try to run down the pitch and smack them though. You never know. Clearly McCullum sees something in the guy. He's locked in for the whole series yes.

Yeah, embarrassing. Ireland are probably a decent UK Saturday league standard, if we're honest. I genuinely think my club's first XI has some better batters.

Not sure whether this is good for cricket or not.
They've gone backwards for sure, despite this being their fourth test of the year.

I'm not sure what the plan is wrt Ireland and tests. They gained test status on the back of the performances of a bunch of players with County Championship experience. But madly, those players were forced to choose between being CC players registered domestically and playing for Ireland. Meanwhile, their first class tournament was cancelled in 2020 because of Covid and hasn't restarted. If Little had been available to play, this would have been his first first class match in four years.

So they don't have a domestic red ball comp. They're not allowed in the County Championship except as overseas players, even if, like the players from NI such as Sterling, they're UK citizens. Their own administrators are prioritising white ball tournaments. They don't stand much of a chance.

I don't know what the highest test score is in a day (is it actually this England last year?) but if they bat all day they'll surely surpass it. 600?

To finish by tea. Knock em over in the morning then smack 200 odd in the second session. This would of course defeat the whole purpose of giving some fringe players a bit of a run-out. But you never know.

It does at least send a message to the aussies.

That would be completely disrespectful towards Ireland and just the game generally. Won't happen, but if it did, I'd be rooting for Ireland to win.

I'm hoping Ireland show some determination second innings. Often happens when the top order has failed miserably - and played some very bad shots - that they come out and do much better second dig. They could have some decent batting conditions second innings.

England should be looking to score at least 500 before even thinking of declaring. If they can do that and have a dart at Ireland in the final session tomorrow, that's all good, and is probably roughly what will happen. Or they could collapse in a heap and let Ireland back in. Yes Ireland were poor today with bat and ball, but they may not be so bad tomorrow.

To finish by tea. Knock em over in the morning then smack 200 odd in the second session. This would of course defeat the whole purpose of giving some fringe players a bit of a run-out. But you never know.

It does at least send a message to the aussies.
No it doesn't. Not as much of a message as scoring 500-plus and winning by an innings.

This match is basically irrelevant to the Ashes. Treat it as an in-and-for-itself event. As such, I'm hoping for Irish fight from now on. They're going to lose, but they don't have to be humiliated.

And let's not forget that however badly Ireland played today (and they were bad), if they'd won the toss and bowled, they could have had England in trouble at lunch. Stuart Broad is slated at number 8. This side does not bat deep.

Irrelevant or not, Crawley's innings was the same old joke wasn't it. I don't care he scored 56. 12 of those were 3 Chinese cuts, possibly all in the same over (two certainly were) where he had no clue.

As cricinfo says, maybe he should be applauded for carrying on and driving into the abyss.

I don't even think this should be a Test. They've already downgraded it by only allowing 4 days so just call it something else. There's going to be a false inflation of averages - why would Duckett want 208* in this as his highest score - they should retire out at 100 and if you don't reach 100 you should be left out of the Ashes. Zak.

Duckett is getting pretty close to scoring 100 in a session (88 with 15 minutes left). And he's not Don Bradman.

This is a bit silly.

I don't even think this should be a Test. They've already downgraded it by only allowing 4 days so just call it something else. There's going to be a false inflation of averages - why would Duckett want 208* in this as his highest score - they should retire out at 100 and if you don't reach 100 you should be left out of the Ashes. Zak.

I remember back in the day when people were saying the same about Sri Lanka. But they're not bad now. Same goes for Bangladesh, but yeh - I get your point about Duckett's highest score being against Ireland being a bit hollow. I mean all of them could get their highest score here. They could get 1000 as a team conceivably.

Crawley's innings was dodgy as fuck yeh. He won't last two overs against the Aussies.

The only wicket to fall so far was Crawley thrashing a ball into the beer belly of a village cricketer who even then almost dropped it. About 5 balls beating the bat so far in the entire innings. What's the point of this.

Irrelevant or not, Crawley's innings was the same old joke wasn't it. I don't care he scored 56. 12 of those were 3 Chinese cuts, possibly all in the same over (two certainly were) where he had no clue.

As cricinfo says, maybe he should be applauded for carrying on and driving into the abyss.
Duckett provides a good contrast to Crawley. Scores very quickly but in control. He looks good pretty much every innings. Yet Crawley is no doubt inked in for the first Ashes test. We'll see if he survives the series. Easier to keep him in a team that can't stop winning.

This is getting near the point where it's debatable as to whether taking more easy runs or making an early declaration is the more disrespectful thing to do.

So they went at close to 7 an over in that last session. Insane. Why did nobody think of this before?

I would just bat on. Set a new world record. Surely the ECB or the MCC or whoever gets the profits here would want them to, for beer sales alone. Otherwise this'll be over by lunch tomorrow.

See attached for his unconvincing wagon wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpeg
    IMG_0019.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 3
This is getting near the point where it's debatable as to whether taking more easy runs or making an early declaration is the more disrespectful thing to do.
fwiw I think they judged the declaration well. The money people will be hoping the game goes on for at least another 25 overs tomorrow, mind you.

Rotten luck on McCollum. Nothing going Ireland's way.

Decent stat from cricinfo. Stokes is on course to become the first captain ever to win a test without having batted, bowled or kept wicket.

See attached for his unconvincing wagon wheel.
12 down to long leg all aimed at one of the places that says zero. :D He scored a 50, but really, against gentle bowlers on a flat pitch in the sunshine, he was awful. How will he cope with the Aussie bowlers? 10-15 ks quicker, more bounce, more consistent, more accurate.

It reminds me a bit of a 50 Moeen Ali made a few years ago when his batting head had clearly gone. Somehow - through a large slice of luck - managed to stay in long enough to show just how out of touch he was.

I'd love to see England reverse their decision here, put Brook up to open and bring back Foakes. Won't happen, of course. Well, hasn't happened - they've just announced a 16-man squad for first two tests. The 15 for this one plus Tongue.

Stokes hobbling about. He is literally only in the side for his leadership by now. Can't bowl, his batting has faded and he no longer fields in the slips due to his finger injury.

Back
Top Bottom