Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2023

Good to see some fight from Ireland today to extend the game into the final session. But we've learned nothing we didn't already know from this match, aside from seeing that Tongue is a decent bowler with good pace and bounce and looks like a wholehearted trier. (I confess I did not know of him before last week.)

Despite his six wickets in the match, I still don't measure Broad as part of England's first choice team anymore when everyone is fit. We'll see who starts at Edgbaston. No Stokes to bowl is a point against the selection of Mark Wood, sadly. I'm guessing it will be Broad, Anderson and Robinson. I'd actually choose Potts ahead of Broad, but that won't happen. And I certainly don't begrudge Broad his chance - he may well be magnificent. But then so could Potts.

Potts wouldn’t be so weary 2nd innings but he also wouldn’t be able to create the occasional wonder spell Broad can pull out of the hat.

I’d play Broad to scare Watson.

Can Jimmy manage both Edgbaston and Lords? If it’s a choice between the two, I’d prefer him at Lords.

I’d play Broad to scare Watson.

Can Jimmy manage both Edgbaston and Lords? If it’s a choice between the two, I’d prefer him at Lords.
There's a week between the two, so the answer to that should be yes. I think it's a straightforward case of pick your best team for the first match. But what is the best team? Does the answer change if Stokes can't bowl?

Despite his six wickets in the match, I still don't measure Broad as part of England's first choice team anymore

You never did! I did a cheeky search of your posts, just to check. This is 2008.

What have you got against the man and his 581 wickets?!?

It's Broad, it's the Ashes, he winds them up chronically. 131 wickets in 35 games at 29.

Jimmy has 112 in the same number of Tests, at 33.

Broad often doesn't look that good does he. You can't argue with his record though, what he does tends to work. Tbf I'd probably go Anderson, Robinson and Wood for the first test but I'd be happy enough to see Broad in there.

Jack Leach ruled out of the Ashes with a back fracture.

I'm out of touch - any other spinners waiting in the wings?

Fuck me, this is a bit of drama.

Poor old Jack. ECB statement: Official Statement: Jack Leach

“England Men's spinner Jack Leach has been ruled of the LV= Insurance Men’s Ashes series with a low back (lumbar) stress fracture.

The 31-year-old Somerset slow-left-armer developed low back symptoms during England’s LV= Insurance Test victory over Ireland on Saturday.

A scan on Sunday in London has revealed a stress fracture, which will keep him out of the forthcoming Ashes Test series, which gets underway at Edgbaston on Friday 16 June.

England will announce a replacement for the Ashes series in due course.”

Rotten luck for Jack Leach. :(

Will be interesting to see what England do. Can they trust Ahmed to form part of a four-prong bowling unit? That could unravel very quickly. Who else is there?

Jack Leach isn't a world-beater, but he was the best we had, enjoyed the confidence of his captain, and that was ok. Kind of the opposite to the seam options, where every new seamer blooded through injury seems to be pretty impressive and no single player is essential.

But yes, picking Ahmed would be bold. He would bat at eight and can smack it, we know that. I think it's safe to assume that the Aussies would try to batter him out of the attack. They might fail, of course. A few years ago, a few teams tried to do that to Moeen Ali in England and failed.

Criminally low batting average for someone with his abilities (although still higher than Crawley's). He could play the Leach role. And he could easily come in at 8 and smash a quick fifty or two, maybe even a hundred.

Ironically, if Moeen were to come back, it would be at number eight - a source of contention in his earlier career, and a reason why his overall batting average is only 28. Getting the band back together with Stokes, Bairstow, Moeen at 6,7,8? It's not the worst idea. Does Moeen want to do it, though?

I assume Brendan’s and Mo’s recentish conversation was about him coming back into the side longer term. But just 1 more series may be a different conversation.

And yes, Joe Root, Harry Brooks, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali wouldn’t look too shabby.

Jack Leach ruled out of the Ashes with a back fracture.

I'm out of touch - any other spinners waiting in the wings?

Just heard about this. I mean, we're not losing Warne or even Giles here but who the fuck is gonna take over? Moeen is the obvs choice and is close friends with both Stokes and Baz from the IPL. I think they can talk him into it.

Looks like he’s been given 48hrs to mull it over.

“Moeen Ali will decide over the next 48 hours whether he is ready to end his retirement from Test cricket and answer England’s spin-bowling distress flare in the Ashes.“

Criminally low batting average for someone with his abilities

I always felt that because of his bowling role he was given permission to see 'hit a few decent shots and get out for thirty' as a good innings in a way that others weren't, and that it didn't help him maximise his potential. It was almost like he was expected to bat like Graeme Swann although he was a much more capable batter.

That seems fine in the current team though. Might as well let him open.

There are certain highs that only come from test cricket.

3251.jpg

Back
Top Bottom