Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2023

The ODI resurgence begins by losing to the WI after scoring a record total at the Viv stadium.

Sam Curran 9.5-0-98-0

:eek:

i'd not been following it closely, but it was looking like a likely england win at some point.

hmph at england losing, but on the other paw, don't want cricket in the 'west indies' fade away even further...

Ok so we're still in 2023.

Phil Salt hits back to back t20i centuries and goes unsold at the IPL. The IPL auction is a very strange thing.

Ok so we're still in 2023.

Phil Salt hits back to back t20i centuries and goes unsold at the IPL. The IPL auction is a very strange thing.

They were two centuries against a side who were not good enough to qualify for the world cup, so. Take that with a pinch of..

Surprised Startc commanded such a fee, not surprised there was a bidding war for Ravindra and Mitchell, both of whom thoroughly deserve it.

They were two centuries against a side who were not good enough to qualify for the world cup, so. Take that with a pinch of..

Surprised Startc commanded such a fee, not surprised there was a bidding war for Ravindra and Mitchell, both of whom thoroughly deserve it.
It's the nature of auctions that you often end up with buyer's regret. The biggest buys are often not worth it. Seems particularly true of the IPL. Each year, two or three players go for huge sums. They're often flops. Think Tymal Mills and Kyle Jamieson in previous auctions - both million dollar flops. Even Ben Stokes hasn't been a raging success in the IPL. Sometimes it appears that teams are spending big just because they can, because they have money left over.

Brook was a big money flop last year but still got picked up again this year at a reduced fee. That nobody wanted Salt for a seventh of the price of Mitchell is odd. I like Mitchell, not surprised he went for a lot, but I have him down as one of the potential big money disappointments. Ravindra looks like a relative steal at 1/7 the cost of Mitchell. Also no takers for Adil Rashid. Again odd.

The one who looks to be most overpriced is Pat Cummins. He's a superb test bowler but his white ball numbers are less good. His IPL record is very ordinary. Picked for his six-hitting ability as well as his bowling, but 2 million dollars looks like way too much.

Last edited:
Mitchell is fantastic, I don't think he'll flop. Kyle Jamieson was a bizarre purchase yes, bought on his Test form. He'd barely played T20 but his opening IPL season was cut in half by Covid remember so he didn't really have time to adapt. I assume Salt was budgeting for being picked up for something at least hence him being a bit pissed off. Starc's the biggest surprise. Cummins can bat, captain and obvs isn't bad at bowling, but Starc?

Everyone was expecting Starc to go for big money. His white ball stats are superb and he's been ranked no.1 in T20Is. He had a tricky World Cup, but came good near the end.

Re: Salt. If the auction had been held a day later, he would probably have been picked up. Unlucky.

He priced himself at 2 crore. Most of the centrally contracted England players price themselves at that amount. Any less and they'd be paying to play as they forego their England wages for the duration of the IPL.

It's the nature of auctions that you often end up with buyer's regret. The biggest buys are often not worth it. Seems particularly true of the IPL. Each year, two or three players go for huge sums. They're often flops. Think Tymal Mills and Kyle Jamieson in previous auctions - both million dollar flops. Even Ben Stokes hasn't been a raging success in the IPL. Sometimes it appears that teams are spending big just because they can, because they have money left over.

Brook was a big money flop last year but still got picked up again this year at a reduced fee. That nobody wanted Salt for a seventh of the price of Mitchell is odd. I like Mitchell, not surprised he went for a lot, but I have him down as one of the potential big money disappointments. Ravindra looks like a relative steal at 1/7 the cost of Mitchell. Also no takers for Adil Rashid. Again odd.

The one who looks to be most overpriced is Pat Cummins. He's a superb test bowler but his white ball numbers are less good. His IPL record is very ordinary. Picked for his six-hitting ability as well as his bowling, but 2 million dollars looks like way too much.

Presumably there's a marketing angle here as well though. Cummins is Australia captain and a very marketable character all round, I'm sure that puts a bit on his market value above his pure value to the team.

Presumably there's a marketing angle here as well though. Cummins is Australia captain and a very marketable character all round, I'm sure that puts a bit on his market value above his pure value to the team.

Well yes his movie star looks and the fact that he actively stuck around in India and donated loads of money when they were fucked with Covid helps. But he's an also all round player. Starc's not. Anyway, we'll see. It's so random as LBJ says. I mean Sam Curran is the first player on any team sheet he rocks up at over there. And he's not very good internationally really.

Well yes his movie star looks and the fact that he actively stuck around in India and donated loads of money when they were fucked with Covid helps. But he's an also all round player. Starc's not. Anyway, we'll see. It's so random as LBJ says. I mean Sam Curran is the first player on any team sheet he rocks up at over there. And he's not very good internationally really.
Curran's been retained at his massive price from last year. 18.5 crore.

No, I don't get it either.

So there's my prediction for the biggest flop of IPL2024 wrt their price - Sam Curran. His form this year, particularly with the ball, has been poor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom