Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2023

Why? :confused: The batting line up will be very similar and Wood and Woakes will still be there - injury permitting. Also, Leach should be back. Yes, Broad is very Bazbally in his attitude, but he's just one player. I'd have thought this series solidified the 'approach', even if it also showed that you can play the state of the game whilst also going for the jugular.

Because they can't continue with Dad's Army. There has to be a succession plan. They're gonna need to blood some younger players on that tour.

Oh, and Stokes looks completely spent. I don't know if you've ever been to India. It's not exactly relaxing in Baz's winery in Hawke's Bay with a round of golf and oh even a little bit of cricket now and then. I can't see this continuing. Stokes continues to defy belief though so you never know. But he's got a young family now, so.. well. If their succession plan is Ollie Pope then I can't see that working.

Why? :confused: The batting line up will be very similar and Wood and Woakes will still be there - injury permitting. Also, Leach should be back. Yes, Broad is very Bazbally in his attitude, but he's just one player. I'd have thought this series solidified the 'approach', even if it also showed that you can play the state of the game whilst also going for the jugular.

Yeah the approach will be much the same I'd expect. Difficult to call the team though, particularly on the bowling side, with various retirements, injuries, past poor records overseas (Woakes), and the particular demands of playing in India. I think 'big hitting, can spin it a bit' batting all rounders like Livingstone and Jacks are likely to be in for this tour at least which is arguably even more Bazball-ish.

One last thing on this 71 page thread.

Zak Crawley. Surely the walking embodiment of the Stokes/McCullum approach. Let the fucker waft his bat outside off for a beautiful drive or be caught at second slip. Who fucking cares! Someone else will cover your blushes. You won't be 'rested'. I get it now. Because he's actually quite good. He's probably the first on the team list now, bizarrely.

Lol. He has something. But, as I've always said, he's a number 3. Though we seemingly have no other options for openers.

If we're selecting Jacks, we're in trouble.

Well we might well be tbh. Ultimately the team for the India tour is going to look a bit cobbled together because they could probably put out twenty top quality spinners and we've got Jack Leach if he's not injured, then who? Rehan Ahmed is only 19. They could dig out Dom Bess I suppose. Root will obviously play. But England will need more spin options in India won't they and they're going to need to come from somewhere - my best guess is Livingstone and/or Jacks as they did that in Pakistan but whoever it is is probably not going to fill anyone with confidence.

India will be big favourites whatever, but then I guess the whole Bazball thing has been about overcoming the weaknesses in the team to a large degree, so who knows.

Because they can't continue with Dad's Army. There has to be a succession plan. They're gonna need to blood some younger players on that tour.
Yes, certainly, there may be 3 different bowlers playing next time they line up, even 4 (though 1 will be Leach). Not sure why that changes the approach and I suspect willingness/ability to play 'the approach' will be big criteria for selection. I'll give you that Stokes is important in that if he's crocked the positivity and togetherness factor would drop, but he'll probably carry on as a batter.

I would love to see Livingstone given the nod as an allrounder. He does it in the IPL. Knows the players he'll bowling/batting at. Just a question whether they can talk him into it.

I don't think the approach depends on who is in the team really. They just need to buy into it. Stokes is important, obviously, but his batting and captaincy are enough to keep him in.

Almost unbelievably the ICC has made it quite difficult for England to get to the WTC final due to their slow over rate in the Ashes. They've been docked 19 points.

Do they actually want to kill test cricket? Surely the most exciting side in the world should be in that final this time?

Almost unbelievably the ICC has made it quite difficult for England to get to the WTC final due to their slow over rate in the Ashes. They've been docked 19 points.

Do they actually want to kill test cricket? Surely the most exciting side in the world should be in that final this time?
... and from a quick look at the table, without the deductions, Aus and England would be top of the table. Over rates are awful, but why can't the umpires take some responsibility? Shouldn't be that difficult for the 3rd umpire to deliver reminders and warnings (maybe using the public address system).

... and from a quick look at the table, without the deductions, Aus and England would be top of the table. Over rates are awful, but why can't the umpires take some responsibility? Shouldn't be that difficult for the 3rd umpire to deliver reminders and warnings (maybe using the public address system).

Or just play longer. As Root suggested. Why knock off at 6.30pm when the suns out till 10.

It's the start of August and no more tests... :(

I really can't muster any excitement for the hundred. T20 is fine - why do we need this daft gimmicky format?

It's the start of August and no more tests... :(

I really can't muster any excitement for the hundred. T20 is fine - why do we need this daft gimmicky format?

It's quite funny (it isn't) that the Hundred has made T20, and it's daft gimmicks, (almost) acceptable. No, wait...

STRATEGIC TIME OUT

The other thing the kids go wild for are the on screen state of the match scores that defy human comprehension (and often don't fit the screen). But the thing that clinches it is having the captain's mic'd up, so the yoot can hear such gems as 'yeah, they bat down to number 10, but we are really confident with the attack we've got'.

I've never had a problem with 20 over cricket. It's the only format I've ever played. It's been the mainstay of village/local cricket since whenever.

Limited overs is good to play, it’s just not interesting to watch.

Well I think the viewing figures for the IPL would say otherwise. I mean I love all cricket (and I'm not including the hundred in that because its not actually cricket). The IPL is good telly, you'd be silly to say otherwise. It's not day 5 of a 5 match test series, no. But it's still got its place.

I think an interesting benchmark will be someone like Harry Brook. Who will be able to make millions by the age of 30 in the shitty T20 leagues. But will he able to turn down that money to enjoy an Ashes summer..?

I think an interesting benchmark will be someone like Harry Brook. Who will be able to make millions by the age of 30 in the shitty T20 leagues. But will he able to turn down that money to enjoy an Ashes summer..?
Kerry Packer's shade will be dreaming of all the money he could have made.

Back
Top Bottom