Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2023

The one test match I went to was day 2 at the Oval, England v NZ 1999. Basically nothing happened
Yeah, it's like with football. You have to endure the dismal 0-0 draws to earn the right to the 4-3 thriller.

I was at the final day of that match. England were maybe two or three down at the start of play, all out by 2pm.

Yeah, it's like with football. You have to endure the dismal 0-0 draws to earn the right to the 4-3 thriller.

I was at the final day of that match. England were maybe two or three down at the start of play, all out by 2pm.

My memories are Tufnell joining in the Mexican wave from the balcony and a drunk woman being bribed with a tenner by someone a few rows in front of us to flash her bra.

Had a better day at the oval a few years later with a ODI against Pakistan, despite missing the first hour due to train issues. Shoab bowled close to 100mph, Trescothick scored about 90 at a run a ball and some bloke called James Anderson took a hattrick. Wonder what happened to him?

I don't want to do a full on 'but for the rain in Manchester we'd have won the series' (even if it is true), it rains, you play the conditions you are faced with etc. There is though a less churlish version, which is that England simply played better than Australia and were a lot braver. England played better than the sum of their parts and were stronger than the best in the World. Which was nice.

Suppose it's also a vindication of 'the approach' - well yes, obviously it is. But not the 'don't question us, this is what we do, we'll go even harder next time' version. Can't remember whether it was the first or second test, but England lost 4 top/middle order wickets, rushing the keeper, cross batting etc. Certainly this test, it's been more nuanced and they managed the rather obvious trick of playing the actual condition of the match. Hope they remember that.

Thinking about Geoff Lemon's piece, I think the thing Aus should be most disappointed about is that this series really was all about England. England lost the first two matches due primarily to their mistakes, particularly the dropped catches. Once England sorted that out, they were on top. Before the series started, I had Aus as the stronger team on paper. I'm not so sure that's right now. They have better career averages than England sure. But they were outplayed by England once England got their act together. I will be intrigued to see how the next Ashes goes.

I don't want to do a full on 'but for the rain in Manchester we'd have won the series' (even if it is true), it rains, you play the conditions you are faced with etc. There is though a less churlish version, which is that England simply played better than Australia and were a lot braver. England played better than the sum of their parts and were stronger than the best in the World. Which was nice.

Suppose it's also a vindication of 'the approach' - well yes, obviously it is. But not the 'don't question us, this is what we do, we'll go even harder next time' version. Can't remember whether it was the first or second test, but England lost 4 top/middle order wickets, rushing the keeper, cross batting etc. Certainly this test, it's been more nuanced and they managed the rather obvious trick of playing the actual condition of the match. Hope they remember that.
Oh England learned from their mistakes in the first and second tests, for sure, whatever they may admit in public. Should really have won at Edgbaston and shouldn't have fallen so far behind at Lord's. They became much more ruthless as the series wore on.

The only mistake they didn't correct, and I feel bad for saying this as we've all politely avoided mentioning him, was the continued selection of Anderson. He bowled just four mediocre overs today. I think he has to be done. :(

My memories are Tufnell joining in the Mexican wave from the balcony and a drunk woman being bribed with a tenner by someone a few rows in front of us to flash her bra.

Had a better day at the oval a few years later with a ODI against Pakistan, despite missing the first hour due to train issues. Shoab bowled close to 100mph, Trescothick scored about 90 at a run a ball and some bloke called James Anderson took a hattrick. Wonder what happened to him?

I was at the Oval ODI v Pakistan. Wonderful days cricket. Shoab was bowling consistently at close to 100mph. At one stage Trescothick lifted/lofted him, almost shouldering arms, into the Pavillion.

On the rough v smooth nature of being an English cricket fan - yes, absolutely have to have suffered to make days like to day count. Most of the 90’s, recent away Ashes tours and days like South Africa at the Oval in 2012 make it all worth while. I love the ebb and flow, the quiet periods, then the acceleration of events that engulfs teams and spectators alike.

Oh and the conditioning - I’m also a Spurs fan like Ted. I’m not superstitious about anything else in life but sport. I’ve found going for walks during this series has helped England put together partnerships and get wickets in clusters. Absolute bollocks of course, just coincidence but I suppose it’s all about dealing with our emotions/nerves/anxiety. I’m a far better watcher at the ground than at home…

Look, I don't even know if I should write this, this is a sports forum, not community. But.

I've had the shittest year. My partner of 28 years died in January. I'm no longer the same person I was. This weekend I spent in London, yesterday on Hampstead Heath in the pissing rain, perhaps appropriately, commemorating Liza. It broke my heart, which is already broken anyway. Today I drove back the 5 hours to home and arrived suicidal. Hence my first post today, earlier, when Aus were lots for 3 and it all seemed lost. Like me.

What happened after that is what sport can do, and what it did for me. Maybe it's ridiculous that a game can have so much effect on a person. But I got lifted from the depths of annihilation and I can't thank England cricket enough. These are surreal times for me. And for cricket.

I'm just glad that right now, unlike 4 hours ago, I no longer want to die. It sounds facile to say that. But it's true. I don't understand life much anymore. But I know I understand cricket, my life long love.

Liza used to laugh at me. Called it 'shitball'. She'd be laughing with me now.
Thanks for sharing this. It means a lot.

I was trying to explain cricket to someone today. I gave up as I realised it would take too long after the query about how a five-match series could end in a tie. Reminded me that both Ashes series ended in ties with both Aus teams the top-rated nations. Ashes didn't change hands, but Australia doesn't return home victorious. Which is very cricket.

Look, I don't even know if I should write this, this is a sports forum, not community. But.

I've had the shittest year. My partner of 28 years died in January. I'm no longer the same person I was. This weekend I spent in London, yesterday on Hampstead Heath in the pissing rain, perhaps appropriately, commemorating Liza. It broke my heart, which is already broken anyway. Today I drove back the 5 hours to home and arrived suicidal. Hence my first post today, earlier, when Aus were lots for 3 and it all seemed lost. Like me.

What happened after that is what sport can do, and what it did for me. Maybe it's ridiculous that a game can have so much effect on a person. But I got lifted from the depths of annihilation and I can't thank England cricket enough. These are surreal times for me. And for cricket.

I'm just glad that right now, unlike 4 hours ago, I no longer want to die. It sounds facile to say that. But it's true. I don't understand life much anymore. But I know I understand cricket, my life long love.

Liza used to laugh at me. Called it 'shitball'. She'd be laughing with me now.

Took some courage to write this and I think it’s absolutely the right forum for it. Glad the cricket offered some respite x

I was trying to explain cricket to someone today. I gave up as I realised it would take too long after the query about how a five-match series could end in a tie. Reminded me that both Ashes series ended in ties with both Aus teams the top-rated nations. Ashes didn't change hands, but Australia doesn't return home victorious. Which is very cricket.
Yeah, as we discussed upthread, the England Women were even more 'moral victors' than the men. There surely should have been an 'in the event of points being tied, whichever team wins the most games overall takes the series' rule.

Boo. Test cricket is over already. :(

My combined team:

Crawley (to face first ball and hit it for four)
Khawaja
Smith (had an average series but I still want him there for annoyance factor, and someone has to bat 3)
Root
Brook
Stokes (c)
Carey (wk) (didn't score many runs, but call me old-fashioned, I like a proper keeper)
Woakes
Starc
Lyon
Broad

12th man: Wood (unlucky to miss out)

It's an odd combined team, though, because in the batting it combines two totally different philosophies, and I'm tempted to pick an all-England top 6. Khawaja and Smith are going to have to shape up for their new captain.

Boo. Test cricket is over already. :(

My combined team:

Crawley (to face first ball and hit it for four)
Khawaja
Smith (had an average series but I still want him there for annoyance factor, and someone has to bat 3)
Root
Brook
Stokes (c)
Carey (wk) (didn't score many runs, but call me old-fashioned, I like a proper keeper)
Woakes
Starc
Lyon
Broad

12th man: Wood (unlucky to miss out)

It's an odd combined team, though, because in the batting it combines two totally different philosophies, and I'm tempted to pick an all-England top 6. Khawaja and Smith are going to have to shape up for their new captain.

Did you do that on the BBC? I picked exactly the same team.

Did you do that on the BBC? I picked exactly the same team.
No. Just had a look at that. Done before the final test by the looks of it. I'm amazed Pat Cummins was selected. Been reading some others saying he had a decent series. I thought he was very ordinary most of the time and his average of 37 was a fair reflection of his bowling. Down a bit in speed and not much movement. Bazball got to him.

Tbf, I've been watching and reading about cricket since Botham's Ashes, and I couldn't really explain it :D

Taking it well then.
“We don’t really care, we’ve got the urn, but after a hard-fought series it is pretty pathetic,” the source was reported to have said. “Talk about the spirit of cricket.”

Oh noes, did the nasty English players do something that isn’t against the rules but is against the spirit in which the game is traditionally played? How awful, I can’t imagine that the Australian team would ever have done anything that would contribute to the decline in that spirit

So Bazball....

This is surely the end of it given the personnel changes that will be required for a gruelling 5 test tour of India which isn't even for another 6 months or something. But fuck it's been great.

Dance like nobody's watching. That's kinda what I got out of it, something I think we should all do more of. Thank you Baz/Ben... oh and er, Zak (surely the next captain?) ;)

I don't see why it's the end? Who is leaving out of the top 6 or 7?

Unfortunately Pope will be back ("all we are saying, is give Lawrence a chance").

I think India is the place it will work least, but c'mon, anything will be better than the embarrassment of what happened there last time. 220 all out swinging is better than watching Pope miss 18 balls out of 22 before being out for 5.

So Bazball....

This is surely the end of it given the personnel changes that will be required for a gruelling 5 test tour of India which isn't even for another 6 months or something.
Why? :confused: The batting line up will be very similar and Wood and Woakes will still be there - injury permitting. Also, Leach should be back. Yes, Broad is very Bazbally in his attitude, but he's just one player. I'd have thought this series solidified the 'approach', even if it also showed that you can play the state of the game whilst also going for the jugular.

Back
Top Bottom