Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2023

I could honestly still see England’s lead being less than 100. Collapses can happen very suddenly. Hopefully Brook and Stokes will stop that from happening. A 150 lead would be massive

Zak Crawley seemed surprisingly nice in that post match interview. Clearly loving knowing he's not going to be dropped whatever happens and even implying his huge edges over the slips are all part of his plan.

Sounds like a very nice lad in the interview, Crawley. Pleased for him. He rode a fair bit of luck but today was his day.

They're going to need some play at least on Sunday to force the win here, but they've done amazingly well to get to this position. Was pleased to hear Crawley say that the plan was to bat once if possible. That's got to be the right call. If it rains for two days straight, so be it.

Ludicrous to suggest Moeen's innings was anything other than excellent. Just what was ordered. A hundred partnership that set up the two hundred partnership that followed it.

Yep. We can be grateful he got the runs but still acknowledge that was one of the luckiest high score innings we've ever seen. I literally lost count the number of times he nearly chopped onto his wicket. Weirdly, he did improve a bit once past about 34, where he usually gets out. But he still could have been out many times after that as well as before.

Moeen though, yeah pile of shit Petcha. Btw, have you really ever seen a cricket match?

14 innings in and there still hasn't been a total under 200. I'm quite surprised by that - thought there would be some spectacular collapses somewhere from one or both teams. Maybe we're due one. ;)

Yep. We can be grateful he got the runs but still acknowledge that was one of the luckiest high score innings we've ever seen. I literally lost count the number of times he nearly chopped onto his wicket. Weirdly, he did improve a bit once past about 34, where he usually gets out. But he still could have been out many times after that as well as before.

Moeen though, yeah pile of shit Petcha. Btw, have you really ever seen a cricket match?

Nope. He's not shit. I never said that. But a strike rate of 65 at first drop with weather brewing was not the right tonic. The forecasts getting worse too.

Nope. He's not shit. I never said that. But a strike rate of 65 at first drop with weather brewing was not the right tonic. The forecasts getting worse too.

Moeen looked a perfect number three I reckon. Got his first fifty in a calm and orderly fashion then had a swipe, knowing that the run rate needed to come up and there was plenty more batting still in the shed.

First, 65 is a very fast strike rate. Second, he came in against a brand new ball and he took the time to play himself in. Third, although he was out to a short ball, he dodged quite a few before that. He applied himself against, let's remember, a very high quality seam attack with a new ball.

And so Root comes in with 130 on the board rather than 30, with the first spells of the quicks seen off and 27 overs put on the ball. England could have been in a mess very quickly after Duckett got out. Moeen played a perfect hand.

BBC highlights kept cutting to Todd Murphy in the shed with a face on him like thunder.

This was obviously a massive mistake and a good illustration of the negativity in this Aussie side. They packed the batting and came for a draw. Now they'll hopefully have to do without their best bowler, Starc, too. Bowling shoulder looked knackered from a quite innocuous fall, and that was already on top of a dodgy hamstring.

First session of play should be good to watch.

Starc has been excellent all series. Cummins has been underwhelming. Not sure why. Lack of rhythm? He's billed as a fast bowler but he's been fast medium at best this series. He was medium fast today.

We're halfway through the fourth game and Cummins is averaging 33 while Smith and Labuschagne's combined batting average is 30. Yet England are 2-1 behind.

England's batting stats are astonishing. Every batter except Broad and Anderson has a strike rate of over 60 for the series. You normally think of 55 as brisk.

Last edited:

Where’s the hate for Harry Brook with a SR of 34? Is he not muslim enough?

He makes some good points, particularly that this was a typical Crawley innings but somehow this time he didn't get out.

The cod psychology about his rich dad is bollocks, though. :D The point is often made in the other direction - that privileged private school types can lack gumption.

Boycott batted hyper conservatively because he knew he’d be the first to be dropped because of his class. Compare him to the last of the amateurs, Gower with his fancy, sometimes reckless shots. Social class, absolutely impacts on cricketing styles. Liew’s comment was tongue in cheek but there’s objectively truth in there.

A few bits and pieces throughout the series - dropped catches, daft declaration most of all - and England could have been 2-1 up going into this game and looking to wrap up the Ashes here. I mean, I know, any series is a mixture of small moments, self inflicted wounds and the rest, but England have probably outperformed the Aussies so far. And as has been said a few times, an Aussie team who are better than England man for man.

Chris Tavaré. Public school and Oxford.

Marcus Trescothick. Comprehensive school.

You can cherry-pick names to make any case you like.

Chris Tavaré. Public school and Oxford.

Marcus Trescothick. Comprehensive school.

You can cherry-pick names to make any case you like.

Just look at the modal social class of England’s fast bowlers compared with top order batters historically. Yes, you can point out exceptions but they ultimately prove the rule,

No funky declaration, please. Batting isn't going to be easier than it is right now. Don't declare under 500.

Their plan is to bat once in the match. So no declaration but I'd expect them to play like they want to be all out at lunchtime tomorrow with 550 on the board.

Back
Top Bottom