Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2023

Just look at the modal social class of England’s fast bowlers compared with top order batters historically. Yes, you can point out exceptions but they ultimately prove the rule,
That's true enough. In the age of Gentlemen and Players, the gentlemen were generally batters, and that trend has continued.

But it's still a cod psychology just-so story about Crawley's style. Trescothick is the best comparison I can think of in terms of style of play and approach. Crawley is a poor-person's version of Trescothick, basically. A tall, strong, uncomplicated biffer at the top of the order.

A few bits and pieces throughout the series - dropped catches, daft declaration most of all - and England could have been 2-1 up going into this game and looking to wrap up the Ashes here. I mean, I know, any series is a mixture of small moments, self inflicted wounds and the rest, but England have probably outperformed the Aussies so far. And as has been said a few times, an Aussie team who are better than England man for man.
Massive day.
In the interviews from Edgebasten, it was obvious that the Aussies started the series being a bit too cocky for their own good, yet they've continually become unsettled by the random nature of bazball.
The overall momentum has shifted, with the turning point seemingly the Bairstow stumping (despite the "fuck you, we're Australia, and them's the rules" attitude), leading to England getting in their heads.

Today was the first time either team had held the momentum over multiple sessions, and it seems the only thing that can stop that will be the weather. :confused:

Last edited:
Today was the first time either team had held the momentum over multiple sessions
I think this is a good point. It's pretty unusual to have a whole series of close matches. Even in tied series, there are usually some one-sided wins for either side. But England are now one good session away from taking control of this game, particularly with the pitch starting to play tricks already. It will be a massive shame if Aus are saved by the rain. They don't deserve it.

That's true enough. In the age of Gentlemen and Players, the gentlemen were generally batters, and that trend has continued.

But it's still a cod psychology just-so story about Crawley's style. Trescothick is the best comparison I can think of in terms of style of play and approach. Crawley is a poor-person's version of Trescothick, basically. A tall, strong, uncomplicated biffer at the top of the order.

Marcus has a test average of 43. He was a serious player. He didn’t throw away his wicket, he valued it. That came first, he still was able to score briskly.

Marcus has a test average of 43. He was a serious player. He didn’t throw away his wicket, he valued it. That came first, he still was able to score briskly.
Trescothick was a far superior batter. But on his day, he played innings like Crawley's yesterday. Trescothick is the batter Crawley would love to be the right-handed version of.

Will hubris get the better of England? All the media chatting like the Ashes have been won. 3 quick wickets and Australia are right back in this.

Cricket is so frustrating that they start so late in the day, when they know that bad weather is going to interfere.
Can't start early very easily, though. Punters have bought tickets and booked trains based on the 11am start time. At best you could maybe squeeze an extra half hour in at the start.

Can't start early very easily, though. Punters have bought tickets and booked trains based on the 11am start time. At best you could maybe squeeze an extra half hour in at the start.
You can’t change it once you’ve sold the tickets, but you could easily plan to start matches at 10am, or at least 10:30. By 11am, you’ve often lost the best hours of the day!

Australia doing everything they can to slow the game up - field placings, chats with the bowler etc.

ICC are gonna have to implement a run fine soon or later for slow over rates

Trescothick was a far superior batter. But on his day, he played innings like Crawley's yesterday. Trescothick is the batter Crawley would love to be the right-handed version of.

Going back to the original point of class privilege affecting a batters style of play. Boycott had 2 choices in life, become a cricketer or go down the pit. He didn’t want to follow his father. He had real world pressure to protect his wicket.

Whereas if Gower was dropped he could just go back to his country manor house, raid the exquisite wine cellar, get a handjob from a flunky and go fly in his Tiger Moth. So, why wouldn’t you play in devil may care style? Crawley’s style clearly has been influenced by the confidence he’s going to have an extraordinary lavish lifestyle regardless of his success in cricket. He’s a modern day amateur.

Going back to the original point of class privilege affecting a batters style of play. Boycott had 2 choices in life, become a cricketer or go down the pit. He didn’t want to follow his father. He had real world pressure to protect his wicket.

Whereas if Gower was dropped he could just go back to his country manor house, raid the exquisite wine cellar, get a handjob from a flunky and go fly in his Tiger Moth. So, why wouldn’t you play in devil may care style? Crawley’s style clearly has been influenced by the confidence he’s going to have an extraordinary lavish lifestyle regardless of his success in cricket. He’s a modern day amateur.
In Boycott's day, pre-World Series at least, test players were paid virtually nothing. His living came from playing for Yorkshire. But his methods and tempo weren't atypical certainly during his younger days. If you look at strike rates in the 1950s and 60s, you will see that there was a lot of very dull cricket back then.

In Boycott's day, pre-World Series at least, test players were paid virtually nothing. His living came from playing for Yorkshire. But his methods and tempo weren't atypical certainly during his younger days. If you look at strike rates in the 1950s and 60s, you will see that there was a lot of very dull cricket back then.

He states himself, even at Yorkshire there was a preference to pick those from better off backgrounds. He said while others could get away with playing rash shots and losing their wickets, he knew if he did the same, he’d sooner be dropped.

I wouldn't declare just yet. If they declare now, with 4.5 hours left to play today, Aus should have a lead by the close if they survive that far. Maybe losing Wood to the last ball might change that calculation.

Aus have looked very dangerous with the new ball. I'm surprised the commentators aren't more critical of them for delaying it for 10 overs. They just let things drift this morning with Stokes and Brook there. Waiting for a batter to make a mistake, happy to concede * just * 5 an over.

If the thinking is bat once and win by an innings (which they've said it is) then I think they bat on, albeit very aggressively. It puts the runs on the board but also reduces the chance of losing time between the third and fourth innings.

Really tricky one. I’m not keen to lose extra time for the change of innings
Exactly. Surprised they didn't go a bit harder this morning when they had wickets in hand. Time is the enemy now, not the Aussies.

If the thinking is bat once and win by an innings (which they've said it is) then I think they bat on, albeit very aggressively. It puts the runs on the board but also reduces the chance of losing time between the third and fourth innings.
I can see that, but if they are going to bowl the Aussies, they have to do the bulk of that today.

Exactly. Surprised they didn't go a bit harder this morning when they had wickets in hand. Time is the enemy now, not the Aussies.
I think they judged it well. Took the singles on offer when the men went back. We saw with Brook's dismissal that a wicket was likely to fall if they tried to clear the boundary riders. Forced Aus to take the new ball, which has produced wickets but also a few runs.

No good slogging from the off and collapsing in a heap to allow Aus to knock off the deficit by teatime. At least now, even if they bat on for 20 minutes after lunch, they have the equivalent of two full sessions at Australia.

Back
Top Bottom