Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2023

Reflecting on yesterday, that was a day that could have gone badly wrong for England. Coming into today with all to play for still is a decent result. I worry that Aus just need one good partnership to break the back of this, though.

20 miles away.

Hammered it down most of last night, and it's still going. Supposed to stop around 11, 11 30 - how fast the outfield can be dried is going to be key, but in my inexpert opinion we're looking at first session wiped out, early lunch, play by maybe 1 30, 2ish.
Some might consider me selfish, but I'll be away from the telly till about 2pm, so a bit of early rain would do me fine. ;)

Anyway, that probably reduced England's chance of winning and the draw comes back into it.

It would be funny AF if that decision to declare was the difference between England winning and losing this one.

Yes. As I was saying earlier I think it was a masterful decision. Australia will have to be quite aggressive to win it which will open up opportunities. Great minds.

I wish I wasn't but I am finding myself getting increasingly annoyed by Bazball. every shot of Baz lounging on a sofa with a rugby ball, Stokes kerrazy field positions and strange bowling choices, trying a massive slog on your first ball etc. "no bad shots" - it's like following a new age hippy on Instagram.
as Barney Ronay put it, "In the Stokes era England’s cricketers have found an even more annoying way to win. Now the English are trying to be the good guys.".

Yes. As I was saying earlier I think it was a masterful decision. Australia will have to be quite aggressive to win it which will open up opportunities. Great minds.
Nah. Obviously we can't know what would have happened if they hadn't declared, but it's not unreasonable to think that they would have had a little bit more fun before being bowled out. Let's say they scored another 36, being bowled out to end the day's play, bit like in 2005, then Aus made the same number of runs from the start of day 2 with all their wickets as they made - so that score minus 14. You've added 50 to England's lead without taking any time out of the game at all. Alternatively, maybe they just had one over more fun, scored another dozen then lost a wicket. Aus come out to bat with three overs left, survive scoring eight, say. You've added 20 to England's lead without taking any time out. Alternatively, those two could have kept going for a while, adding another 100. Stranger things have happened. England score 500 and get themselves a big first innings lead.

3 an over, the Aussies to lose.

They've no problem with the run rate but scoring last day runs to win a test doesn't normally prove that easy does it. It's about the pressure here I think - they won't want to rely on their tail so an early wicket or two for England would put a hell of a lot of pressure on.

Not sure why Australia have come out so timidly here. Head is a terrific smasher of a cricket ball as he showed in the first innings. And he blocked until he was out.

Yes strange your main run getter playing defensive leaving the batters at the other end facing a lot more balls.

Back
Top Bottom