Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Suggest your daughter uses a postal vote
That's an idea and I will ask her if she wants to do that but she is in her third year now and we don't tend to see her except during breaks these days. She could have a double postal vote I suppose where I post her voting papers to her and she posts them back for me to post locally. I imagine me filling it in for her would be illegal even if I voted for the person she wants to.
Or a proxy
Her mother and I are both postal votes already so I'm not sure how that would work, I do get the feeling she wants to go and place her X herself though.

be suprised if greens dont have a proper go at sheffield central, manor/wybourn area (very strong labour) being chopped off and moved into heeley should help them out as well as it being new labour candidate. i know local elections are a different thing but all city councillors are green too. theyll need a good candidate though imo the labour candidate is a good one or at least not a dickhead like a lot of them are now
not sure the Greens will even have a candidate. The one currently selected is a terf who may well not be endorsed nationally!

That's an idea and I will ask her if she wants to do that but she is in her third year now and we don't tend to see her except during breaks these days. She could have a double postal vote I suppose where I post her voting papers to her and she posts them back for me to post locally. I imagine me filling it in for her would be illegal even if I voted for the person she wants to.

Her mother and I are both postal votes already so I'm not sure how that would work, I do get the feeling she wants to go and place her X herself though.
on the postal vote application form you can optionally put any address (even overseas) for the ballot papers to be sent to instead of the registered constituency address, if required.
and the ballot doesn't need to be posted back locally. as long as it gets to the destination in time.
so she could get the ballot straight to her uni halls and back. no need for you to get involved. which given the cost of stamps nowadays is no doubt a relief.

you filling out the ballot on her behalf would definitely be illegal though.

on the postal vote application form you can optionally put any address (even overseas) for the ballot papers to be sent to instead of the registered constituency address, if required.
and the ballot doesn't need to be posted back locally. as long as it gets to the destination in time.
so she could get the ballot straight to her uni halls and back. no need for you to get involved. which given the cost of stamps nowadays is no doubt a relief.

you filling out the ballot on her behalf would definitely be illegal though.
I didn't know that, I believed postal ballots were only sent to the registered address. I will double check that and ask her what she wants to do.

I didn't know that, I believed postal ballots were only sent to the registered address. I will double check that and ask her what she wants to do.

I've had postal vote to home address a few times in the last few years when I've not been sure whether work / other circumstances might mean an actual vote would be inconvenient, and mum-tat's on postal votes now she's not as mobile as she used to be.

But I've had postal vote sent to a different address in the 1992 election, as I'd moved house (from Staffordshire to London) after the closing date for registration (I think registration is a bit more flexible now, I have a feeling that at that time, it was where you were living on X date each year and that was that) At that time you had to have a good reason for asking for a postal vote rather than just on demand, but I got the voting paper sent to London (it would have been no use sending it to me at the Staffordshire address as I didn't live there any more) and don't suppose it's that big a deal where you physically post it back from.

Would have thought that similar circumstances still apply - there must be a fair few people in similar circumstances, people who lodge somewhere else for work during the week and only go home at weekends, and so on.

It will annoy Youngest Q if the election is held in May, she is registered to vote both at home and at her Uni address

Never having been a full time student or parent of one, I'm a bit surprised that students can register to vote in two places - does this mean they can actually vote in two constituencies? Or is there some rule (in theory and / or practice) that says they can only vote in one?

I've had postal vote to home address a few times in the last few years when I've not been sure whether work / other circumstances might mean an actual vote would be inconvenient, and mum-tat's on postal votes now she's not as mobile as she used to be.

But I've had postal vote sent to a different address in the 1992 election, as I'd moved house (from Staffordshire to London) after the closing date for registration (I think registration is a bit more flexible now, I have a feeling that at that time, it was where you were living on X date each year and that was that) At that time you had to have a good reason for asking for a postal vote rather than just on demand, but I got the voting paper sent to London (it would have been no use sending it to me at the Staffordshire address as I didn't live there any more) and don't suppose it's that big a deal where you physically post it back from.

Would have thought that similar circumstances still apply - there must be a fair few people in similar circumstances, people who lodge somewhere else for work during the week and only go home at weekends, and so on.

Never having been a full time student or parent of one, I'm a bit surprised that students can register to vote in two places - does this mean they can actually vote in two constituencies? Or is there some rule (in theory and / or practice) that says they can only vote in one?
I didn't know students could register to vote in two places until another Urb (I forgot who) pointed it out but they can indeed, they only get to cast one vote though. If she votes here in True Blue Yokelville then she can't cast a vote in Unitown (or vice versa). I have no idea to what extend anyone checks though not much as I suppose.
She's currently around her sister's gooing over her niece but I will suggest it to her when she gets home.

wonder if the vermin will time the election to coincide with the week when universities are packing up before / starting after the summer break, to try and minimise the student vote?

wonder if the vermin will time the election to coincide with the week when universities are packing up before / starting after the summer break, to try and minimise the student vote?
I was wondering what exactly is there to stop a late summer election?, thats when Id have it if I was in the arsewipe's shoes.
Not a chance in hell it will be this spring I don't know why anyone would believe that waffle

ID required for this election don't forget.

Gonna be a lot of pissed off people getting caught out come polling day.
Dodgy though this is especially the fact that my daughter's student railcard is not photo ID but my bus pass is, I don't think it will have as great an effect as they are hoping for.
Indeed looking at people I know personally then the ones who struggle with access to photo ID tend to be older voters rather than younger ones. It won't affect Youngest (other than add to her dislike of the Tory Party) since she has both passport and driving licence.
Judging by one particular student then I doubt it would work.

Last edited:
Students can register in two places and can, theoretically, vote in two places. They rarely vote in their place of study, if turnout is any guide (a council by-election covering the university campus at Lancaster had one of the lowest turnouts in history iirc

Not sure what you mean by theoretically. It's one person, one vote, even when you are registered in 2 places.

In 1983 I was a student in Colchester. My home address was in Northampton. I voted, spoiled my paper, in Colchester. My sister's boyfriend voted (Labour) in my name in Northampton.

Not a chance in hell of getting caught out.

Not sure what you mean by theoretically. It's one person, one vote, even when you are registered in 2 places.

In 1983 I was a student in Colchester. My home address was in Northampton. I voted, spoiled my paper, in Colchester. My sister's boyfriend voted (Labour) in my name in Northampton.

Not a chance in hell of getting caught out.
Well, I say theoretically, because students can't always be encouraged to vote in one place never mind two!

I was assured on here that the Greens were an 'off the peg' solution for those disillusioned with the Labour Party
Probably by people who only know politics from what they see on TV. The Greens are a mess. They have the same sort of split between a personally ambitious leadership clique and a well meaning membership as the Labour Party does, except that the Green Party had its massive split with the democratic minded people leaving 30 years ago. They are broke and entirely bent on getting two of their national leaders into Parliament and stuff what their membership wants or the country needs. They have some good people amongst their members, but so does the Labour Party. In neither case do those good people have ANY actual influence. If they weren't organised on the basis of what suits the careers of their leadership clique they could become the third largest group in Parliament. Instead they are set to be even less important than the Lib Dems again.

First thing. Sunak is a Tory PM. So if he says there won't be a Spring election I am preparing to be ready for late April. The golden rules are, whatever a Tory says always assume the opposite, and do not attempt to predict a Tory PM's decisions on the basis of logic and good sense.

Second thing. This general election is NOT going to be business as usual. Trust in the mass media is at an all time low. The vast majority of the electorate know they have been shafted by the government and the opposition haven't been opposing that for the last few years. Meanwhile a whole bunch of different groups are organising to stand anti-establishment candidates in a whole load of constituencies. These aren't just mad nutters like Count Binface or the CPA. These are groups containing experienced organisers and campaigners, including sitting councillors and potentially some sitting MPs (though that can't be formally confirmed yet). While there isn't a single national party left of Labour, every single leftist group has agreed to cooperate to stay out of each others way at the election and decide between them who has the best chance in each seat. That may yet be scuppered in some places by the usual big egos, but it is something that hasn't happened before. With Reform attempting to attack teh Tories from the extreme right all over the place it is all up for grabs. However the mass media narrative will remain that you all have to make a choice between Sunak and Starmer. It is nonsense. Stop listening to it. Find out what is actually going on. Get off your damn sofas, switch off the telly, find out what is going on on your patch and then get out on the street.

Finally. Despite just about every case of voter fraud outside of Northern Ireland being related to postal or proxy votes, you do not need photo ID for those. If you don't have photo ID register for a postal vote. Anyone can get one, you don't need to have a specific reason to, you just have to ask.

Finally. Despite just about every case of voter fraud outside of Northern Ireland being related to postal or proxy votes, you do not need photo ID for those. If you don't have photo ID register for a postal vote. Anyone can get one, you don't need to have a specific reason to, you just have to ask.
That is correct, but living in a vermin/yellow streak marginal with the red-tories in a dismal third place, I'd prefer to use my right to attend the polling station and be turned away & disenfranchised for lack of photo ID and make a contribution to national total of voter suppression.

Probably by people who only know politics from what they see on TV. The Greens are a mess. They have the same sort of split between a personally ambitious leadership clique and a well meaning membership as the Labour Party does, except that the Green Party had its massive split with the democratic minded people leaving 30 years ago. They are broke and entirely bent on getting two of their national leaders into Parliament and stuff what their membership wants or the country needs. They have some good people amongst their members, but so does the Labour Party. In neither case do those good people have ANY actual influence. If they weren't organised on the basis of what suits the careers of their leadership clique they could become the third largest group in Parliament. Instead they are set to be even less important than the Lib Dems again.
ska invita

First thing. Sunak is a Tory PM. So if he says there won't be a Spring election I am preparing to be ready for late April. The golden rules are, whatever a Tory says always assume the opposite, and do not attempt to predict a Tory PM's decisions on the basis of logic and good sense.

Second thing. This general election is NOT going to be business as usual. Trust in the mass media is at an all time low. The vast majority of the electorate know they have been shafted by the government and the opposition haven't been opposing that for the last few years. Meanwhile a whole bunch of different groups are organising to stand anti-establishment candidates in a whole load of constituencies. These aren't just mad nutters like Count Binface or the CPA. These are groups containing experienced organisers and campaigners, including sitting councillors and potentially some sitting MPs (though that can't be formally confirmed yet). While there isn't a single national party left of Labour, every single leftist group has agreed to cooperate to stay out of each others way at the election and decide between them who has the best chance in each seat. That may yet be scuppered in some places by the usual big egos, but it is something that hasn't happened before. With Reform attempting to attack teh Tories from the extreme right all over the place it is all up for grabs. However the mass media narrative will remain that you all have to make a choice between Sunak and Starmer. It is nonsense. Stop listening to it. Find out what is actually going on. Get off your damn sofas, switch off the telly, find out what is going on on your patch and then get out on the street.

Ok, what is actually going on?

I'm under no illusions about the current state of the green party, my suggestion is mass entryism into a party with one member one vote on policy at conference , where voting can be done from home. Of the electoral routes it seems the most strategically pliable of those on offer .... Especially so as climate change bites. I appreciate its very much a doer upper. I'm not interested in taking part in party politics myself but for those who are it seems the least worst option

I'm under no illusions about the current state of the green party, my suggestion is mass entryism into a party with one member one vote on policy at conference , where voting can be done from home. Of the electoral routes it seems the most strategically pliable of those on offer .... Especially so as climate change bites. I appreciate its very much a doer upper. I'm not interested in taking part in party politics myself but for those who are it seems the least worst option
The slogan 'We are the least worst option' might just be the thing that revives the Greens.

The slogan 'We are the least worst option' might just be the thing that revives the Greens.
They did get their best ever results last local elections iirc
...and Eric's equivalent shittness between Green and Labour isnt quite right, Labour party democracy is utterly dead, Green party does have more democratic levers in it than likely any other registered party in Britain. No political party is immune from some kind of cabinet-vanguard aspect, but Starmer's Labour and Greens are worlds apart on internal democracy, and that democratic member power is what keeps it a possibly worthy vehicle, without that then yes its all much of a muchness.

Remember kids, 3 billion people sacrificed their lives fighting in 20 world wars so that we now have the right to vote in this wonderous free society we currently so enjoy. And not voting is the exact equivalent of pissing, shitting and vomiting on all of those people's graves :thumbs:

Bourgeois democracy can't be beat. Yay for the ruling class.

Yeah, I know they're a mess. I've never once been comfortable with their manifesto ahead of a GE. Though probably not any more disillusioned than by any other manifesto. I'm choosing them as a protest vote purely on the basis that they'll actually get enough votes to register as a meaningful protest and that I wouldn't hate myself if the local one somehow won. Besides, I don't believe in just staying home (I vote by post anyhow) and it's not like anyone else on the ballot will align with my values.

Good luck with it. The Green Party has probably been my natural political home since it was the Ecology Party, but I've also been committed to anti-racism, grass roots upwards democracy, and mobilising the disadvantaged and dispossessed for as long as I can remember, and while the Greens have always paid lip service to those things they always seem to revert in practice to a top down concentration on chasing the same white middle class floating voters as all the other parties. Change it and that's great. Vote for it where it is the least awful option or in an overwhelmingly white middle class constituency fine, but from here in Brixton they need to change radically before I see them as a solution.

What pains me most is that working on Holborn St Pancras they seem to have absolutely zero interest in fighting a constituency they could win if they would shift their arses from concentrating on the middle class white north of the constituency, get involved with bringing the Somali and Bengali communities on board, get on to the council estates. and actually listen to the people who need a change. Instead they have sent their big name off to stand in Brighton and stood a local councillor who seems intent only on bolstering his council seat vote in Highgate, while sending their other best prospect to fight in Hampstead and Kilburn instead. It's now too late for them. We've got the Somali and Bengali link up sorted through OCISA and are making massive inroads with the students. This is going on all over the country because they have no real ambition and aren't looking at representing the people who need real political change most. I want a red/green political future for the UK but the Green Party need to massively up their game for that to happen.

Back
Top Bottom