Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK election poll: Islington North

This may surprise some, but do you know, I'd find it sad for Corbyn if he loses his seat because people who wanted to vote for him just ticked the labour box because they hadn't realised he wasn't the Lab candidate.

Sort of 'Corbyn is Labour, so I just looked for the Labour box, ticked and went on my way...' type thing.

There's other stuff, like the point about how utterly divorced for politics such a huge number of people are, or how Corbyn and his people (family?) just couldn't believe that in the end he wasn't going to be the labour candidate so they couldn't bring themselves to really start organising for Corbyn the independent candidate - but in the end, to lose a seat/identity because of folk not reading the ballot paper, that would be sad.

If he was explicitly rejected, or the electorate explicity embraced the Labour candidate, that would be fine, but if it went like that...

(Still thinks he'll win though - I even put a fiver on it....)
What odds did you get?

That’s the thing about gotcha screenshotted posts from eight years ago, they do tend to lack context.
Not really; it was perfectly easy to revisit the post and see its context in a discussion about the imploding Cameron/Osborne relationship and declining vermin popularity.

If he loses its not such a bad thing*....he's well past retirement age....that generation have done their stint....Its over, wether he wins or not.

The big question is WTF the left interested in parliamentary politics are going to do next....there's a limbo since 2019 - over 4 years now! - and a Corbyn win puts off grappling with that. His defeat might focus a few minds.

I expect him to win though.

*Islington North will lose out on a proper hardworking constituency MP though.

Corbyn win, by a large slice.
Unfortunately, I fear you might be right... I mean you will be right because it's now the Democratic People's Republic of Islington North. Thing is, voting JC won't necessarily keep out the Tories (which is obviously the aim of the game here). My views on JC are well-known; I don't like him - he's a vatnik, an antisemite, Eurosceptic and a terrorist apologist, and I find the blind slavish hero-worshipping of someone who has praised the likes of Assad in Syria and who refuses to condemn the regime in Iran distasteful to say the least. That's all I'll say on the matter...

Unfortunately, I fear you might be right... I mean you will be right because it's now the Democratic People's Republic of Islington North. Thing is, voting JC won't necessarily keep out the Tories (which is obviously the aim of the game here). My views on JC are well-known; I don't like him - he's a vatnik, an antisemite, Eurosceptic and a terrorist apologist, and I find the blind slavish hero-worshipping of someone who has praised the likes of Assad in Syria and who refuses to condemn the regime in Iran distasteful to say the least. That's all I'll say on the matter...
Just as well

Holy mother of God you're as full of shit now as you were in 2020.

This may surprise some, but do you know, I'd find it sad for Corbyn if he loses his seat because people who wanted to vote for him just ticked the labour box because they hadn't realised he wasn't the Lab candidate.

Sort of 'Corbyn is Labour, so I just looked for the Labour box, ticked and went on my way...' type thing.

There's other stuff, like the point about how utterly divorced for politics such a huge number of people are, or how Corbyn and his people (family?) just couldn't believe that in the end he wasn't going to be the labour candidate so they couldn't bring themselves to really start organising for Corbyn the independent candidate - but in the end, to lose a seat/identity because of folk not reading the ballot paper, that would be sad.

If he was explicitly rejected, or the electorate explicity embraced the Labour candidate, that would be fine, but if it went like that...

(Still thinks he'll win though - I even put a fiver on it....)
Apparently, there is evidence that the higher up someone's name is on the ballot paper, the more likely some people are to vote for them.

So this could go in Corbyn's favour, as he's a) a well-known name and b) should be second on the ballot paper.

Seems like he's getting good numbers out to help canvassing every day so maybe they will be able to knock on all the doors twice

Seems like he's getting good numbers out to help canvassing every day so maybe they will be able to knock on all the doors twice
A friend (who doesn't live in Islington North) was canvassing for Corbyn recently; he said the volunteer team included some people from the Midlands. Generally got positive responses when knocking on doors; one bloke waved a knife at him, but he was having his dinner...

I read elsewhere one of Corbyn's team saying their biggest obstacle was voters not realising Corbyn was no longer standing as a Labour candidate - as posted above, voters might just assume he's still the Labour guy and tick Labour. It seems astonishing to me, but I guess it's an example of how disengaged a lot of the UK population are from politics - not that interested and wouldn't have read about Starmer's purge* - yet they are sufficiently motivated to vote :confused:

*Starmer's Purge would've been a good name for a English Civil War-era speed metal band

A friend (who doesn't live in Islington North) was canvassing for Corbyn recently; he said the volunteer team included some people from the Midlands. Generally got positive responses when knocking on doors; one bloke waved a knife at him, but he was having his dinner...

I read elsewhere one of Corbyn's team saying their biggest obstacle was voters not realising Corbyn was no longer standing as a Labour candidate - as posted above, voters might just assume he's still the Labour guy and tick Labour. It seems astonishing to me, but I guess it's an example of how disengaged a lot of the UK population are from politics - not that interested and wouldn't have read about Starmer's purge* - yet they are sufficiently motivated to vote :confused:

*Starmer's Purge would've been a good name for a English Civil War-era speed metal band
And a better name for a five year enema for the vile shammer

Over on VoteUK there are similar stories about voters assuming Corbyn is standing under the Labour symbol on the ballot. As an independent he isn't entitled to a logo of his own so that might cause some confusion.

Quite astonishing that for all the wall to wall media backing of Starmer and Labours money spent on targeted on communications retelling Robert Mitchums left hand right hand tale in Night of the Hunter that none of it has registered.

Quite astonishing that for all the wall to wall media backing of Starmer and Labours money spent on targeted on communications retelling Robert Mitchums left hand right hand tale in Night of the Hunter that none of it has registered.
It's not really been wall to wall it just appears it if you have been living overseas and reading U75 like we have.

Even my siblings haven't picked up on it which is good as they live in marginals and I want them to vote Labour without distractions or illusions.

It's the same as Palestine outside already highly invested groups, people dont know about it in any meaningful sense. Most people live in news bubbles where both consciously and unconsciously curate their own feeds or have them curated for them.

It's not really been wall to wall it just appears it if you have been living overseas and reading U75 like we have.

Even my siblings haven't picked up on it which is good as they live in marginals and I want them to vote Labour without distractions or illusions.

It's the same as Palestine outside already highly invested groups, people dont know about it in any meaningful sense. Most people live in news bubbles where both consciously and unconsciously curate their own feeds or have them curated for them.
I get your point but I also watch BBC and itv , sky news here and there’s a lot of coverage .
My son is over here btw on hols and he’s not voting , housing and wages are the big issues for him .

I get your point but I also watch BBC and itv , sky news here and there’s a lot of coverage .
My son is over here btw on hols and he’s not voting , housing and wages are the big issues for him .
Yeah you watch those programmes but who else does? My parents do, they even still read a newspaper but I'm not convinced anyone under 50 who is not a politics oddball gets their news anywhere other than via social media and Substack

To be fair I'm the same when it comes to celebrity and sports news, I've no idea what's going on and I don't get any of the memes or FB posts so I just skip past or block them.

My partner follows the celeb and sporting news from her own country and Korea and that's it but she couldn't really tell you about the politics back home because it never comes up on her Instagram or FB.

Yeah you watch those programmes but who else does? My parents do, they even still read a newspaper but I'm not convinced anyone under 50 who is not a politics oddball gets their news anywhere other than via social media and Substack
Under 35s more like . I think it depends , I’ve got family under 50 who just mainly watch terrestrial and still read a paper.

On the other hand I found out today that Farages tick-tock audience is very large .

I find this hard to believe to be honest.. I was down in Finsbury Park the other day, and there are Cobyn posters (independent) everywhere.

I wouldn't be suprised if he gets in based on turnout of his voters relative to Labour.

This is why the Lib Dems swamp winnable races with leaflets. They know that many people who will vote are not engaged so will default to Labour or Tories. Corbyn is in a similar situation. Especially in somewhere like Islington where people will be swamped with junk mail and so may not read political leaflets

I'm new here, so I'm sorry if already answered. Can you show me where Corbyn was anti-Semitic?

Back
Top Bottom