Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Election night plans

I doubt it is further but we've got the Scilly isles off of Cornwall they have to be transferred to the mainland to be counted I think.
Yes that was in the post I replied to, do you have Voley on ignore or something :confused: Scilly to St Ives is only about a third of the distance from Unst to Kirkwall.

28 miles off Lands End so not far. Bugger of a crossing at times though. I speak from nauseous experience.
Pity the deputy returning officer who'll be stuck on a boat for about 7 hours if the haar is too bad to fly!

They've taken all of the passenger seats out of the plane that usually does the Westray - Papay route to make room for ballot boxes apparently.

gsv has made a sensible suggestion that we'll go to bed after exit polls, set an alarm for 4am and kind of doze through results and then I guess we'll try to drift back off to sleep once we're sure the Tories are good and dead. :)
If I were going to do that I'd probably get up again at somewhere between 2am and 3am, otherwise a lot of the results and sad-faced tories will probably be missed out on. Unless loads of places end up running late.

CBA to be that 'middle of the night' I know it'll probably be settled by then, but it's about as early as I can face. That said, I will be having BBC results page open on my phone and if I happen to stir post 2am I'll have a look.

For the complete nerds, a trio of resources for your watch along:
  • Tory Wipeout Bingo - have fun crossing off each Tory MP's face each time one of them gets voted out, or switch to automatic mode and have the website do it for you in real time
  • Election Tracker Spreadsheet - A Google spreadsheet containing every seat in order of expected declaration time, notes of interest, predictions from various MRP polls. Should update in real time, or make a copy and update it yourself
  • Jon Skeet's Election 2024 results stats sheet - A page with virtually every statistic around the election you could possibly want, including predictions from each polling company, and sections for most recent results, biggest swings of the night, biggest surprises (where the result confounds expectations), and a summary of each constituency. Will also be live updated throughout the night.

Last edited:
I should have had a snooze when I got in from work. If I have a sleep now I could go all the way and miss the exit poll and lots of early results. Grr ..

For the complete nerds, a couple of resources for your watch along:
  • PORTILLOGEDDON - have fun crossing off each Tory MP's face each time one of them gets voted out, or switch to automatic mode and have the website do it for you in real time
  • Election Tracker Spreadsheet - A Google spreadsheet containing every seat in order of expected declaration time, notes of interest, predictions from various MRP polls. Should update in real time, or make a copy and update it yourself
  • Jon Skeet's Election 2024 results stats sheet - A page with virtually every statistic around the election you could possibly want, including predictions from each polling company, and sections for most recent results, biggest swings of the night, biggest surprises (where the result confounds expectations), and a summary of each constituency. Will also be live updated throughout the night.
We're not the only people gloating over this are we?

Right, election night vodka commenced

View attachment 431919

I've started with a spot of prosecco. Depending on the scale of armageddon, I'll either be moving to sauvignon blanc (disappointing 10pm exit poll), more prosecco (strong 10pm exit poll) or busting out the bottle of Veuve Cliquot I've been saving for a special occasion for a few years now (Kemi Badenoch / Suella Braverman loses).

Me: Remember I am stopping up through the night to watch the election, probably come to bed around 5-6ish
Mrs Q: Good job you're unemployed then isn't it.
Me: I am retired dear there is a significant difference

If I were going to do that I'd probably get up again at somewhere between 2am and 3am, otherwise a lot of the results and sad-faced tories will probably be missed out on. Unless loads of places end up running late.
Think i'm going for 1.30am. Avoids most of the "dead air time" but hopefully means i don't miss any portillo moments. 🤞

Working tomorrow, not got any special plans. I don't have the healthiest sleep patterns but expecting to be asleep far before most of the results come through. Lately I have found myself waking up super early a few times, presumably because of the dawn being so early, so maybe that'll happen again.
For those who are staying up to watch, have I mentioned that my new favourite word is "afammocc", a Neapolitan expression of schadenfreude? My Neapolitan friend describes it as "like a freeing cry of joy but charged with semantic nastiness", this dictionary gives it as "To cheer at somebody's pain or bad luck / an exclamation after a great achievements is reached". Might come in useful at some point, I imagine.

I managed part 1 of the plan, a couple of hours sleep until the 10pm exit poll.

And the exit poll shows pretty much what was expected, a labour landslide.

There is the detail to come from the actual results, the who lost their seats, Tories set to lose 241 seats, must be some prominent figures among that lot ..

Back
Top Bottom