Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK election poll: Islington North

It's not really been wall to wall it just appears it if you have been living overseas and reading U75 like we have.

Even my siblings haven't picked up on it which is good as they live in marginals and I want them to vote Labour without distractions or illusions.

It's the same as Palestine outside already highly invested groups, people dont know about it in any meaningful sense. Most people live in news bubbles where both consciously and unconsciously curate their own feeds or have them curated for them.
I think digital media has made this worse. If you don't already read about politics your feed is just full of whatever you do read, be that sports, entertainment gossip or whatever.

In the old days people would buy newspapers for the sports and end up finding out about major political events, even if they didn't watch the news. It is very possible now for people to be unaware of what is happening in Gaza in a way it wasn't before.

I think digital media has made this worse. If you don't already read about politics your feed is just full of whatever you do read, be that sports, entertainment gossip or whatever.

In the old days people would buy newspapers for the sports and end up finding out about major political events, even if they didn't watch the news. It is very possible now for people to be unaware of what is happening in Gaza in a way it wasn't before.
It might be possible for people not to be aware of what's going on in gaza, sure there are some people who have managed to evade hearing about it. But it's bloody difficult given the range and size of protests across the country, not to mention the volume of people talking about it.

I've spent a few days and evenings door knocking in my constituency over the last month - I must have spoken to 500+ random people.

There's a cohort out there - and I don't mean a trace element - who didn't know there was an election on. There's a cohort out there who knew there was an election on (in the same way I know there's some sportsball on) but who didn't know or care who was playing. There's a cohort out there who don't know who Sunak or Starmer or Führage is, there's a cohort out there who assumed that Johnson was still PM but didn't know whether he was Tory or Labour.

As Rimbaud says, it's really easy to live your life completely divorced from this stuff - if you watch Netflix and Disney, and your Facebook algorithm is set for cat videos, it would be quite possible to not know there was an election on or who was playing.

The only times I hear pop music since the age of 15 or whatever is when my kids are in the car - I could name perhaps half a dozen pop musicians (some of whome probably retired 15 years ago...), I might recognise some songs that I've heard before, but I wouldn't have a clue who sang them, or what they looked like. Same with football - I'm aware that there's some football on, but I don't know (because I don't care, and have no interest..) what teams are playing or who wins, or what tournament it is.

Modern media makes it very easy to silo, and if politics/news isn't one of the silos you get your feeds from, this stuff might as well be on Neptune for all the contact you have with it.

Under 35s more like . I think it depends , I’ve got family under 50 who just mainly watch terrestrial and still read a paper.

On the other hand I found out today that Farages tick-tock audience is very large .

I've spent a few days and evenings door knocking in my constituency over the last month - I must have spoken to 500+ random people.

There's a cohort out there - and I don't mean a trace element - who didn't know there was an election on. There's a cohort out there who knew there was an election on (in the same way I know there's some sportsball on) but who didn't know or care who was playing. There's a cohort out there who don't know who Sunak or Starmer or Führage is, there's a cohort out there who assumed that Johnson was still PM but didn't know whether he was Tory or Labour.

As Rimbaud says, it's really easy to live your life completely divorced from this stuff - if you watch Netflix and Disney, and your Facebook algorithm is set for cat videos, it would be quite possible to not know there was an election on or who was playing.

The only times I hear pop music since the age of 15 or whatever is when my kids are in the car - I could name perhaps half a dozen pop musicians (some of whome probably retired 15 years ago...), I might recognise some songs that I've heard before, but I wouldn't have a clue who sang them, or what they looked like. Same with football - I'm aware that there's some football on, but I don't know (because I don't care, and have no interest..) what teams are playing or who wins, or what tournament it is.

Modern media makes it very easy to silo, and if politics/news isn't one of the silos you get your feeds from, this stuff might as well be on Neptune for all the contact you have with it.
That's exactly what I was saying. Yep.

It might be possible for people not to be aware of what's going on in gaza, sure there are some people who have managed to evade hearing about it. But it's bloody difficult given the range and size of protests across the country, not to mention the volume of people talking about it.
You'd be surprised how many people don't get out much. I work with some people who live in North Tyneside who say they never go into Newcastle City Centre. No chance of such people seeing any protests.

Edit - also a lot of people have no sense of curiosity and just tune out smaller demos as background noise.

You'd be surprised how many people don't get out much. I work with some people who live in North Tyneside who say they never go into Newcastle City Centre. No chance of such people seeing any protests.

Edit - also a lot of people have no sense of curiosity and just tune out smaller demos as background noise.

Add to this - it also depends very much on where you go out. I don't doubt that if I went to London on a Saturday, I'd see Palestine stuff. We went into Birmingham in the run up to Christmas, and we saw Palestine stuff, same in Bristol.

But, we're out and about most weekends - Shrewsbury, Newtown, Welshpool, Builth, Leominster, Hereford, Worcester, Ross, Monmouth, Gloucester, Cheltenham, Cirencester, Stratford, Banbury, Nottingham - and we have seen one demo: Worcester - about two dozen people, in October.

We see the odd Palestinian flag, but we see as many Pride flags, and certainly far more Union flags, English flags, Welsh flags, and probably as many EU flags.

If it's in your silo, it's probably everywhere, but if it's not in your silo - Neptune.

I find this hard to believe to be honest.. I was down in Finsbury Park the other day, and there are Cobyn posters (independent) everywhere.

I wouldn't be suprised if he gets in based on turnout of his voters relative to Labour.
yeah, I've seen Corbyn posters all over Islington so I'm looking forward to this result...

"How happy is the moron, he doesn't give a damn. I wish I were a moron - my god, perhaps I am."

(NB - no moronism detected in your post, old bean, that's just what I was reminded of).

"How happy is the moron, he doesn't give a damn. I wish I were a moron - my god, perhaps I am."

(NB - no moronism detected in your post, old bean, that's just what I was reminded of).

Hadn't heard that before.

In July of 1929 the verse appeared in the London publication “The Eugenics Review” with the following preface [ERES]:

The following expression of the conscientious eugenist’s thoughts at 2.0 in the morning has just reached us from America.

See the Happy Moron – Quote Investigator®

I always try the "office worker test". Sometimes we'll have one of those commercial stations in the background, the same songs every ten minutes in-between adverts, and for about 15 seconds an hour somebody will rush through the headlines. If anything registers at all there might be some comment but it's simply true that news is something wholly disconnected to people who aren't generally 'plugged in'. Nobody, not one single person, with whom I work has mentioned Israel or Hamas or Gaza once in months, maybe since Christmas. And why? The commercial radio stations don't mention it, they don't go out of their way to read about it, and nobody brings it up in conversation.

I'm not about to stand up and say, "stop processing medical records, everybody, let's talk about Hamas incursions into Israeli territory'. My salary is more important than starting a debating society in an everyday office in suburban England.

Do they mention immigrants or foodbanks or things?
Sometimes. Not always complimentary things (I'm a fence sitting Charles Kennedy-era don't scare the horses type person, so most things aren't complimentary to my ears).

For this conversation I've been trying to find the statistics on accessing news. It's something like 10 minutes a day for the typical person, and with the collapse in trust in 'mainstream news', it's no surprise to hear more people entrenched in opinions without wanting to hear two sides.

A colleague explained to me that since Brexit, two elections, Covid, and everything connected to those things, it's no surprise that people are just switching off. Our own lives are important, much else has been zoned out from.

Sometimes. Not always complimentary things (I'm a fence sitting Charles Kennedy-era don't scare the horses type person, so most things aren't complimentary to my ears).

For this conversation I've been trying to find the statistics on accessing news. It's something like 10 minutes a day for the typical person, and with the collapse in trust in 'mainstream news', it's no surprise to hear more people entrenched in opinions without wanting to hear two sides.

A colleague explained to me that since Brexit, two elections, Covid, and everything connected to those things, it's no surprise that people are just switching off. Our own lives are important, much else has been zoned out from.
Break down by age and the amount of tv news consumed is even lower by younger people...

I always try the "office worker test". Sometimes we'll have one of those commercial stations in the background, the same songs every ten minutes in-between adverts, and for about 15 seconds an hour somebody will rush through the headlines. If anything registers at all there might be some comment but it's simply true that news is something wholly disconnected to people who aren't generally 'plugged in'. Nobody, not one single person, with whom I work has mentioned Israel or Hamas or Gaza once in months, maybe since Christmas. And why? The commercial radio stations don't mention it, they don't go out of their way to read about it, and nobody brings it up in conversation.

I'm not about to stand up and say, "stop processing medical records, everybody, let's talk about Hamas incursions into Israeli territory'. My salary is more important than starting a debating society in an everyday office in suburban England.

Hasn't your trade union got a position on Gaza?

My friend who's had a stroke has not got out in the past 18 months but is still well aware of gaza etc

There was very little comment where I work when the queen died. None when philip died. None when thatcher died tho our union branch secretary was in pictures of a thatcher party. Didn't mean people weren't aware of those things. There's things you talk to your colleagues about and things you don't and very little news receives discussion at work. Your office worker test is a daft one given the context of office chit chat.

Last edited:
My friend who's had a stroke has not got out in the past 18 months but is still well aware of gaza etc

There was very little comment where I work when the queen died. None when philip died. None when thatcher died tho our union branch secretary was in pictures of the thatcher party in Brixton. Didn't mean people weren't aware of those things. There's things you talk to your colleagues about and things you don't and very little news receives discussion at work. Your office worker test is a daft one given the context of office chit chat.
One day you and I will have an interaction where it doesn't feel like I'm being wafted away by a dismissive form tutor.

The figures for young people and TikTok is remarkable. And look at the results, Reform on 23% amongst the young.

Dodgy poll with a tiny sample of 201, though. I can’t find any other 16-17 year old polls, perhaps because all the reputable pollsters seem to limit respondents to adults.

The figures for young people and TikTok is remarkable. And look at the results, Reform on 23% amongst the young.

Yep, I read the ofcom report on media habits each year, it’s really useful stuff. Helps understand how news consumption works across the demographics and explains why so many people many not even realise things that are obvious to those of us who are paying close attention…

Back
Top Bottom