Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

So basically you trust and believe in the system. It would explain why you believe in the contradiction of 'anti-establishment candidates'.

But hey, this is where so many insist on being stuck. People never fucking learn.
I believe in reality. I do not believe in refusing to do what I can with what currently exists just because it isn't how it ought to be. I refuse to just sit back and snark when things need changing. I refuse to accept that what is presented by the mainstream media trumps what actually happens in the real world. By all means if you believe the only option is a violent revolution to completely overturn the whole lot then go ahead get on with it, I'm probably too old now to man the barricades but I will quite happily pass on any advice I have, though that will largely be theoretical as so far in my lifetime nobody in the UK has even vaguely got started on such a thing. In the mean time I'm going to look for the weaknesses in the current corrupt system to try to get what change is possible.

I though Brexit was about taking us back to the 70s. I thought that's what the Tories wanted.
I thought Brexit was supposed to be about bringing back the "glorious" British Empire, which basically means the 50s at the latest. The 1850s in the case of Dame Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Two years after he was out of office? The Labour government was vehemently opposed to any possible nationalisation of Anglo-Persian, but I think we can still put the coup on Churchill.
Wiki states this:

"the parliament (Majlis) voted to nationalize Iran's oil industry and to expel foreign corporate representatives from the country.[13][14][15] After this vote, Britain instigated a worldwide boycott of Iranian oil to pressure Iran economically.[16] Initially, Britain mobilized its military to seize control of the British-built Abadan oil refinery, then the world's largest, but Prime Minister Clement Attlee (in power until 1951) opted instead to tighten the economic boycott[17] while using Iranian agents to undermine Mosaddegh's government.[18]: "

Back during the covid plague I opted for having a postal vote, and used the option of continuing for all future votes until I tell the register otherwise.
That gets me out of the photo ID bind and the polling station queues.

When I was a student, I was registered in both places.
But I was close enough to 'bike to the other place ...

I believe in reality. I do not believe in refusing to do what I can with what currently exists just because it isn't how it ought to be. I refuse to just sit back and snark when things need changing. I refuse to accept that what is presented by the mainstream media trumps what actually happens in the real world. By all means if you believe the only option is a violent revolution to completely overturn the whole lot then go ahead get on with it, I'm probably too old now to man the barricades but I will quite happily pass on any advice I have, though that will largely be theoretical as so far in my lifetime nobody in the UK has even vaguely got started on such a thing. In the mean time I'm going to look for the weaknesses in the current corrupt system to try to get what change is possible.
I don't know why you're jumping to the conclusion that the only thing people can collectively do other than voting for members of the ruling class who represent capital is to immediately launch a violent revolutionary uprising. It would be nice, but there are plenty of other practical things people could get together and do for their own individual and collective interests, rather than the dead-end, pacifying diversion of voting - which would be a start.

I don't know why you're jumping to the conclusion that the only thing people can collectively do other than voting for members of the ruling class who represent capital is to immediately launch a violent revolutionary uprising. It would be nice, but there are plenty of other practical things people could get together and do for their own individual and collective interests, rather than the dead-end, pacifying diversion of voting - which would be a start.
I'm not against direct action. In fact I have often taken part in direct action campaigns. However it helps if there's an open (or at least not locked and barred) foo push on, and that's where electoral politics comes into play. BOTH have to be happening or progress is glacially slow.

I'm not against direct action. In fact I have often taken part in direct action campaigns. However it helps if there's an open (or at least not locked and barred) foo push on, and that's where electoral politics comes into play. BOTH have to be happening or progress is glacially slow.
You're wrong. All politicians are the enemy. Left, Right and Centre. None of them deserve our support.

Last edited:
talking of Corbyn it will be interesting to see what move he makes this year. Personally I think he should've stepped back in late 2018, I think having him as a continued figure head is massively problematic, but nonetheless he might yet do something interesting within this election void.

I have heard this rumour

Thinking about it what is happening in Gaza/Israel acts as antidote to any resurfaced accusations of antisemitism, in fact possibly the opposite

Last edited:
It's quite close to any election to be setting up a new party and campaigning etc no?
would like it to happen to shit Shamrer up at least

You're wrong. All politicians are the enemy. Left, Right and Centre. None of them deserve our support.
I'd rather have the safety net of elections than the bottomless pit of direct <s>election</s> action.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom