Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

They knew an election was due some time this year so why haven't they sorted it out? Are the other parties having the same problem or just the tories? It's not like we haven't had a snap election before.

Labour List reports that 100 constituencies don't yet have a labour candidate in place (as of two days ago)

I have seen some rumblings because it sounds like the remaining vacancies will be filled by party HQ rather than local constituency parties having much if any say.

There may also be a few more sitting MP's who had been in two minds whether to stand again who will have to make their minds up pretty damn quick.

Labour List reports that 100 constituencies don't yet have a labour candidate in place (as of two days ago)

I have seen some rumblings because it sounds like the remaining vacancies will be filled by party HQ rather than local constituency parties having much if any say.

There may also be a few more sitting MP's who had been in two minds whether to stand again who will have to make their minds up pretty damn quick.
Going by C&W, London Regional are full steam ahead with imposing Starmerite filth without any local interference from troublesome members

I was in Rees-Mogg country earlier, just out with friends having a beer in the country. The near to Bristol country anyway. He’s not gonna lose I don’t think but I really really want that prick to lose. Go running home to Nanny.

Nomination papers have to be submitted by 4pm on Friday 7th June - two weeks from now?
Yeah, very very tight turnaround. £500 isn't that hard to get for the bigger associations though I know some "no hope" areas usually left alone by the HQs do rely on old fellas with deep pockets.

Yeah, pretty annoyed that my local Labour MP quit a few days ago, which means her successor will likely be some party hack who's never even been here. And she's probably done that deliberately, as there's really no other reason to leave announcing that you've had enough to the last minute.

Yeah, pretty annoyed that my local Labour MP quit a few days ago, which means her successor will likely be some party hack who's never even been here. And she's probably done that deliberately, as there's really no other reason to leave announcing that you've had enough to the last minute.

It depends on the relationship with the CLP, but I'd put far more money on it being a very difficult decision personally for the MP than it being spite.

There's lots of political gossip on twitter that many (particularly Tory) MP's are really angry at having been bounced into a decision they were going to make more slowly over the summer. It's about self-purpose, family - health, see Craig MacKinnon - and livelihood.

It depends on the relationship with the CLP, but I'd put far more money on it being a very difficult decision personally for the MP than it being spite.

There's lots of political gossip on twitter that many (particularly Tory) MP's are really angry at having been bounced into a decision they were going to make more slowly over the summer. It's about self-purpose, family - health, see Craig MacKinnon - and livelihood.
Not necessarily spite. But simply knowing that it's useful to the leadership to have these positions suddenly become vacant at the last minute, and going along with that, perhaps to keep you in good relations for future opportunities.

And she's probably done that deliberately, as there's really no other reason to leave announcing that you've had enough to the last minute.

dunno really. nobody was really expecting now to be the last minute. it may well be they were planning to make a decision in the summer and have been bounced in to it. (without knowing which MP we're talking about and what their motives might be.)

Two MPs quoted the other day said they had planned to wrap up constituency work and the like over a six month period and now everything has had to be wound up. For all the lols and memes there are also offices with staff and volunteers suddenly unemployed.

Two MPs quoted the other day said they had planned to wrap up constituency work and the like over a six month period and now everything has had to be wound up. For all the lols and memes there are also offices with staff and volunteers suddenly unemployed.
Ah well.

Sorry, but this is politics. If they work for an MP, they know their work could end like this. If they're volunteers, they can volunteer somehwere else. The chance of snap elections is part of the deal.

And if they work for a Tory MP...

Ah well. Diddums.

I was in Rees-Mogg country earlier, just out with friends having a beer in the country. The near to Bristol country anyway. He’s not gonna lose I don’t think but I really really want that prick to lose. Go running home to Nanny.
Unfortunately due to boundary changes I think my Tory mother now gets to vote for him ... Skidmore was a Tory with at least one principle ...

Ah well.

Sorry, but this is politics. If they work for an MP, they know their work could end like this. If they're volunteers, they can volunteer somehwere else. The chance of snap elections is part of the deal.

And if they work for a Tory MP...

Ah well. Diddums.
I'm not denying that it's nature of the work. It's also unemployment, and that stinks if you're an assistant given no notice that the constituency duties you had coming up are practically worthless on a fingerclick

I'm not denying that it's nature of the work. It's also unemployment, and that stinks if you're an assistant given no notice that the constituency duties you had coming up are practically worthless on a fingerclick
There are 650 constituency offices now. There will be 650 constituency offices post-election. It is zero-sum. You having a job with your person means someone else not having a job with their person.

As I said, ah well.

Wonder what happens to the floor crossers? There was some tory who went to Labour in Bury and then a doctor quite recently (i know that lunatic Elphicke isn't standing). Presume Starmer will keep them as candidates?

Too lazy to check. :oops:

There's a story here about a bill being rushed through before the winding up of parliament which appears not to have been noticed. Interesting who they've chosen to write the story...

Cat and dog theft to become criminal offence in August

Close up shot of dog pantingThe Pet Abduction Bill is due to receive Royal Assent with the law subsequently set to come into force in August. It's one piece of legislation, among others, that has been pushed through today on the final day of Parliament.
It will make taking a cat, or taking or detaining a dog, a criminal offence. Anyone convicted under the law could face a fine or a maximum of five years in prison.
Currently, pets are legally considered to be property. Stealing a pet is covered by the 1968 Theft Act with the law similar in Scotland.
You can read more details about the new law from our correspondent Helen Catt.

dunno really. nobody was really expecting now to be the last minute. it may well be they were planning to make a decision in the summer and have been bounced in to it. (without knowing which MP we're talking about and what their motives might be.)
But there have been previous rumours of election announcements over the past six months. There was never a guarantee it would be up to the wire - May was a pretty strong possibility.

The MP is Holly Lynch who has a decent enough reputation locally, so may well have been last minute personal decision, but it's still not great for her constituents to get someone imposed in a rush.

Back
Top Bottom