Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Rishi is taking a "day off" which the Party is emphasising isn't an early relaunch or anything like that.

I'm just looking around for ideas here and I've come up with:

1. The first few days have gone terribly and it's a genuine break to regroup and it's back to normal soon enough.
2. The first few days have gone terribly and he's eager to come back strong so this actually is a relaunch weekend.
3. He's FUMING at everybody and everything because reality isn't the same as the ideas inside his Excel Brain so this weekend is protection for both him and his aides, let alone the Party
4. Soon enough he'll step down as Leader and possibly also MP "for personal reasons", perhaps genuinely because of family or personal reasons, or because the man who has everything can't fathom why the electorate is so ungrateful for his brilliance.

Wonder what happens to the floor crossers? There was some tory who went to Labour in Bury and then a doctor quite recently (i know that lunatic Elphicke isn't standing). Presume Starmer will keep them as candidates?

Too lazy to check. :oops:

The Doctor - Poulter - isn't standing again. Announced it yonks ago.

Rishi is taking a "day off" which the Party is emphasising isn't an early relaunch or anything like that.

1. The first few days have gone terribly and it's a genuine break to regroup and it's back to normal soon enough.

Normal being everything going terribly wrong anyway.

2. The first few days have gone terribly and he's eager to come back strong so this actually is a relaunch weekend.
3. He's FUMING at everybody and everything because reality isn't the same as the ideas inside his Excel Brain so this weekend is protection for both him and his aides, let alone the Party
4. Soon enough he'll step down as Leader and possibly also MP "for personal reasons", perhaps genuinely because of family or personal reasons, or because the man who has everything can't fathom why the electorate is so ungrateful for his brilliance.
I would go for 4. He will be heading for a jet plane and lift off from the country he loves. It would be the ultimate fuck you to his Tory colleagues. Lord Cameron somehow smarms his way in as interim leader of the party.

Spending a bit of time on his LinkedIn

I think it was Peston - one of them anyway - who was chatting last night about the timing of the election. They gave a list of reasons Sunak might go for July, and number 4 (?) was so his kids would be on time for the school term in California in September.

Obviously he's going to cease being PM about midday on the 5th July and he'll have to resign as party leader - and if he doesn't, the requisite number of letters will be in by the end of the lunchtime news, but does anyone see him hanging around to be the back bench MP for North Yorkshire (assuming, of course, that he actually keeps his seat....)?

Even if he manages to hold on to his seat, he'll have resigned it by Christmas. He'll be well away....

I think it was Peston - one of them anyway - who was chatting last night about the timing of the election. They gave a list of reasons Sunak might go for July, and number 4 (?) was so his kids would be on time for the school term in California in September.

Obviously he's going to cease being PM about midday on the 5th July and he'll have to resign as party leader - and if he doesn't, the requisite number of letters will be in by the end of the lunchtime news, but does anyone see him hanging around to be the back bench MP for North Yorkshire (assuming, of course, that he actually keeps his seat....)?

Even if he manages to hold on to his seat, he'll have resigned it by Christmas. He'll be well away....
When rat-boy finally jumps ship to return to California, no doubt the Mail will run this old headline again...

1716621740314.png

I dunno - I'm already bored of tittle-tattle from political commentators/journalists. Who honestly cares if he made his announcement in the rain of it he's stood in font a couple of 'Exit' signs. It really is complete twaddle.

Soonor or later the same sort of guff will be directed at Starmer.

Wonder what happens to the floor crossers? There was some tory who went to Labour in Bury and then a doctor quite recently (i know that lunatic Elphicke isn't standing). Presume Starmer will keep them as candidates?

Too lazy to check. :oops:
Both Poulter (the doctor) and Elphicke said at the time that they wouldn't stand for re-election.

I dunno - I'm already bored of tittle-tattle from political commentators/journalists. Who honestly cares if he made his announcement in the rain of it he's stood in font a couple of 'Exit' signs. It really is complete twaddle.

Soonor or later the same sort of guff will be directed at Starmer.

Tbf, that's how politics works, especially in an election. We all remember bacon sandwiches, Kinnock falling on a beach etc.

Ideology died with Thatcher.

Yes, that is true. But I do think it's getting worse. Being spotted outside an 'Exit' sign if more of a boring cliche now than a howler. Ditto making a speech in the rain - the only people who seem to be bothered are the journos.

I suspect it has more to do with saturation coverage now, more airtime, and more podcasts to fill with "content".

On a separate issue I'd hardly say Starmer has had a good start. Listening to him on the Today programme he came across as very dull - about as exciting as a mid-afternoon conference speech. If he keeps banging on about 'missions' and 'priorities' he's going to bore everyone to death and become a second Teresa May. I know the strategy may be to do a 'Joe Biden' but I think it's risky..

:weed:

The more I think about it, the more I'd say the Tories have had the better start to the campaign.. Their messaging is sharper, and Sunak is speaking with more conviction and engergy.

Good day.

On a separate issue I'd hardly say Starmer has had a good start. Listening to him on the Today programme he came across as very dull - about as exciting as a mid-afternoon conference speech. If he keeps banging on about 'missions' and 'priorities' he's going to bore everyone to death and become a second Teresa May. I know the strategy may be to do a 'Joe Biden' but I think it's risky..

I can't agree Sunak is doing well, he's been hopeless, just one inflation figure to help him out.

I do agree Starmer was terrible on Today. I was driving to work and it was so bad, especially when he got to the 2 child cap, I had to turn it off.

Yes, that is true. But I do think it's getting worse. Being spotted outside an 'Exit' sign if more of a boring cliche now than a howler. Ditto making a speech in the rain - the only people who seem to be bothered are the journos.

I suspect it has more to do with saturation coverage now, more airtime, and more podcasts to fill with "content".
Photographed next to an exit sign, yeah, that’s a cliche.
But deciding to stage that absolute fucking train wreck in the rain with Steve Bray DJing Nu Labour bangers in the background… That felt pretty special.

Photographed next to an exit sign, yeah, that’s a cliche.
But deciding to stage that absolute fucking train wreck in the rain with Steve Bray DJing Nu Labour bangers in the background… That felt pretty special.
Since that event I’ve been pining for the Gogglebox take on it, which feels kind of sad. “Won’t someone find that man a brolly?”. It’s national laughing stock territory.

I reckon he’s going for the sympathy vote, plucky underdog, or just being so shit that opposition voters get complacent and don’t make an effort.

He's got to go to the dry cleaners...water stains can be a bitch

Back
Top Bottom