Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

We need to remember that no party has published their manifesto yet, I heard a report yesterday that Labour's is all drawn-up, and it just needs approval before publication, this is done by calling a Clause V meeting, so we should soon know what their policies are going to be.

Once a general election is called, a date will be set for the Clause V meeting. This is the meeting, chaired by the leader of the Labour Party, when the NEC, TULO [Trade Union and Labour Party Liaison Organisation] and Shadow Cabinet agree the manifesto. Attendees hand over their electronic devices and are given numbered copies of the manifesto to discuss and agree.

The meeting could play out in different ways. In a usual parliamentary cycle, delegates attending the Clause V meeting tend to rubber stamp a pre-agreed document, which is effectively ready to be published. In snap election years, there was less time to agree policy positions so there was more debating, with delegates voting on multiple amendments to the document. LINK

l don't think Starmer has ever had a plan beyond getting elected. We will just have to wait and see what actual policies he pursues.
Does he even plan to get elected? Or was/is his function simply to prevent a left-wing (Palestinian rights-supporting) politician getting elected?

Tough on immigration
Tough on benefits
More austerity
Meaningless platitude about the NHS
Reducing energy bills, some vague stuff about being "greener".

They need one more... Youths on quad bikes late at night. Oh, more police! Of course.
Mishal Husain put Starmer on the spot this morning on Today's 08:10h slot, asking him specifically about the two-child benefits cap and he mealy-mouthed platitudes and tap-danced around it, but refused to commit to do so, even when Husain made repeated references to child poverty.

He's a scumbag.

Mishal Husain put Starmer on the spot this morning on Today's 08:10h slot, asking him specifically about the two-child benefits cap and he mealy-mouthed platitudes and tap-danced around it, but refused to commit to do so, even when Husain made repeated references to child poverty.

He's a scumbag.
He didn’t simply refuse to commit, he said he wouldn’t. Unaffordable supposedly (& the NHS is the priority)

John Redwood - Weirdo spock-like creature for Wokingham - is not standing at the GE.

wonder what effect that will have locally.

might reduce the anti-tory vote unless they find a complete twat to put up. in general, constituency is fairly middle class, and was majority remain (although the latter may have been borough rather than constituency - the boundaries never quite matched, and will match even less this time round)

refuck have got a candidate lined up to take the loon vote - don't think they stood against redwood with him being a euro septic.

Anarchist Carne Ross is having a go

Big news from me. I'm standing for Parliament in Islington South for
@TheGreenParty
. As my friends know, I basically hate today's politics and don't believe in the current system. I'm doing this to get rid of the system of 'elective dictatorship' and replace it with bottom-up people's democracy. I'm really going to try to avoid those boring campaign-y messages. Two days into the campaign, I for one have already had enough of hearing them. (Btw, it's an old portrait of me. I didn't have a more recent one of me greyer and fatter.)

....Starmer comes across as a man with no principles, someone prepared to say what he thinks the interviewer and audience want to hear. A shifty man on shifting sands. Untrustworthy.
I'm shocked, shocked i tell you.

Meanwhile in a move which should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone, our broadcasters intend to give little or no airtime to smaller parties:

It is starting to look deliberate:

1. Stand outside in the rain
2. Throw out Sky News live on camera
3. Go to a brewery (as a teetotaler)
4. Ask the Welsh about looking forward to a football tournament they didn't qualify for
5. Stand outside the Titanic Quarter
He's a year late to show his intrepidity

4. Ask the Welsh about looking forward to a football tournament they didn't qualify for
I think he's really cracked that 'man of the people' vibe. (Guess he avoided the 'looking massively awkward holding a pint' thing which is a shame.)

Any guesses on the next one? It's surely got to involve something awkward in hi-viz. :cool:

6 get tory councillors in hi vis pretending to be workers to ask a question
Rishi Sunak has taken questions from two men dressed in hi-vis clothing at a warehouse in Derbyshire who turned out to be Conservative councillors.

The prime minister was visiting a biscuit distribution centre in the marginal constituency of Erewash, where he gave a stump speech to people who appeared to be employees of the business.

He took unchallenging questions from two men who were later found to be Conservative politicians, one of them from a different county. Ben Hall-Evans and Ross Hills were first identified by Byline Times, with Hills confirming to the outlet that he had been present.

The incident raised questions about whether the men were “plants” to ask Sunak questions on his preferred topics, and whether the Conservatives will pursue a controlling approach to the election campaign.

Later, Sunak appeared in Barry, south Wales, where he as

Back
Top Bottom