Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

the lectern didn't have the government logo on, so it was a party announcement not a government announcement, apparently
Apologies if we've already covered this since (got a lot of pages to catch up on!), but occurred to me earlier: might a reason for holding it outside with the lectern be because the briefing room has govt. logos that can't be easily removed, meaning Sunak wouldn't have been able to include any campaigning in the announcement.

I'm not saying it would prove to be a good reason, just wondering if that might have played into the decision.

<edit: following a very cursory Google (which yes, probably could have been done before posting), it looks like no, there is no immovable branding that would have caused such a (non-)constitutional issue. As you were>

The damp far ago tells me that no one in No 10 had/has the sense to access and interpret any of the weather radar sites available free online to see the ‘weather window’ that arrived just after rat boy made a fool of himself 😂

Reactions: tim
Apologies if we've already covered this since (got a lot of pages to catch up on!), but occurred to me earlier: might a reason for holding it outside with the lectern be because the briefing room has govt. logos that can't be easily removed, meaning Sunak wouldn't have been able to include any campaigning in the announcement.

I have seen the suggestion somewhere that using a government building for a party event is not allowed (other than the sort of government owned building that can be hired by an outside organisation)

I'm not involved so don't know the precise rules

I am not surprised Farage isn't standing, he's earning so much from GBN and other grifting, there was no sense in him doing so. He can still cause a lot of trouble from the sidelines as a supporter of and/or spokesman for Reform, without seeing a dip in his earnings.

It comes as no surprise to see Farage on the news, saying the reason for not standing is that 6 weeks is too short a period to be focused on both a local and national campaign, so he's going with the latter, and will be touring the country, and doing media appearances on behalf of Reform.

Slightly surprising is that he's stepping down from his GBN regular show for the duration, although I suspect he'll regularly popping up on there as a guest, so it will probably not hit his earnings.

The constituency I grew up in is on there!*

likewise, lewisham east

Half tempted to offer to stand, and then... christ, I mean the opportunities for shenanigans are endless :D

hmm. it may just be a requirement to be a member of the vermin party.

more seriously, some of them are very safe labour seats so they will either be someone local but enthusiastic, or effectively a 'trainee candidate' role for someone who might get a more winnable seat next time.

but there's a few that look marginal - basildon, wellingborough (isn't that where the recent by-election was) and a few others.

obviously the secret plan was so secret it's left the party in a bit of a mess.

may be entertaining if there's some hurried appointments of candidates then some stuff they posted on social media a few years back comes out...

hmm. it may just be a requirement to be a member of the vermin party.
For how long? :hmm:

"Yeah, up 'till now I've hated everything the party stands for, but I tell you, Rishi's speech really spoke to me. Things really can only get better"

more seriously, some of them are very safe labour seats so they will either be someone local but enthusiastic, or effectively a 'trainee candidate' role for someone who might get a more winnable seat next time.

but there's a few that look marginal - basildon, wellingborough (isn't that where the recent by-election was) and a few others.

obviously the secret plan was so secret it's left the party in a bit of a mess.

may be entertaining if there's some hurried appointments of candidates then some stuff they posted on social media a few years back comes out...
Oh aye, I mean there's a fair bit of precedent on that front, isn't there?

I heard today that Nigel Farage will not be a candidate in this election. Just so that everybody knows, I feel compelled to inform the world that I too will not be standing for Reform UK this time around. Even though they have been pestering me for months to do so. I realise this may well be the death knell for Reform UK, but so be it. What finally tipped the balance was when I discovered that they were a bunch of reactionary, xenophobic, climate change deniers with no generosity of spirit, no compassion and a dogmatic nationalist mindset. No proper understanding of history, or economics, or culture or philosophy. Led by dishonest, populist demagogues. What a great shame. Apart from all that our views were almost in alignment. Well, apart from the militarism, flag-waving, anti-European stuff. And a few other matters...

Labour have opened selections for these tonight:

Altrincham & Sale West
Dewsbury & Batley
Dudley
Gateshead & Whickham
Halifax
Hyndburn
Makerfield
North Durham
Queen’s Park & Maida Vale
Rochdale
Tipton & Wednesbury.

Why did Prime Minister Rishi Sunak have to get wet making the much-anticipated announcement of the 2024 general election? Is there some kind of protocol that the prime minister has to brave the weather when making a speech at the lectern outside number 10? Someone could have held an umbrella which is an obvious arrangement. I think it is a poor show on everyone's part.

Why did Prime Minister Rishi Sunak have to get wet making the much-anticipated announcement of the 2024 general election? Is there some kind of protocol that the prime minister has to brave the weather when making a speech at the lectern outside number 10? Someone could have held an umbrella which is an obvious arrangement. I think it is a poor show on everyone's part.
It’s a metaphor, innit? In Tory land, in adverse conditions you’re on your own, no umbrella of the nanny state to protect you.

John Redwood - Weirdo spock-like creature for Wokingham - is not standing at the GE.
C4N last night reckoned there were 93 Constituency Conservative Associations yet to select a candidate; many of them in safe LP seats, but some with vermin majorities of 20k :eek:
Reporters sign-off was that Sunak's surprise election date caught his own party off guard.

I mean, I'm not a Starmer fan but one thing he is quite good at is debate and cross examination.
Starmer's just been on the 08:10h slot on Today, interviewed by Mishal Husain. He comes across as a man who plans to have a plan, but still doesn't want to elaborate.

Husain put Starmer on the spot over him previously declaring he was in favour of abolishing student tuition fees but more recently backtracking on that, and he stumbled and prevaricated, wouldn't commit to it.

Husain put him on the spot over welcoming Nathalie Elphick into the party but Diane Abbott still being without the whip. She specifically asked him if he wanted Abbott to be a candidate and if the disciplinary process would be concluded in time for her to stand as a candidate. He suggested it would be over in a few days, because deadline for declaring candidates is... 4 June? Which begs the question, if it can be concluded in a few days (if/when politically expedient), why has the disciplinary process dragged on so long.

Starmer also said he supported a Palestinian state but wouldn't commit to recognising Palestine. More wishy-washy bullshit.

Starmer comes across as a man with no principles, someone prepared to say what he thinks the interviewer and audience want to hear. A shifty man on shifting sands. Untrustworthy.

Back
Top Bottom