Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

One of the loons* on Conservative Home was calling for the whole of Whitehall to be closed to anyone but people who work in Government party members of the government because of this guy…

(* Boringly there aren’t many loons on today. Just lots of Tories saying how fucked they are.)

He's proposing the entire Tory party gets chucked out for the forseeable then? :D

This is what he was previously known for.
Chris Heaton-Harris, Conservative MP for Daventry and a staunch Eurosceptic, wrote to vice-chancellors at the start of this month asking for the names of any professors involved in teaching European affairs “with particular reference to Brexit”. Neatly ignoring the long tradition of academic freedom that universities consider crucial to their success, his letter asks for a copy of each university’s syllabus and any online lectures on Brexit.

Prof David Green, vice-chancellor of Worcester University, felt a chill down his spine when he read the “sinister” request: “This letter just asking for information appears so innocent but is really so, so dangerous,” he says. “Here is the first step to the thought police, the political censor and newspeak, naturally justified as ‘the will of the British people’, a phrase to be found on Mr Heaton-Harris’s website.” Green will be replying to the MP but not be providing the information requested.

I think the idea that Sunak actually thinks his party/govt will get worse from now until November, and that this inflation news is about as good as it gets, is a compelling one. Sunak and any sane Tories left have probably just had enough and want to get it over with. His party is falling apart, nobody likes him and endless talk of leadership challenges, Farage looming...

This is hilarious. Tory mps are massively pissed off and his big announcement descends into a rain soaked farce. I really cant think of how Sunaks big play could have gone worse short of strangling Larry the cat on live TV

Why Conservatives are furious with Rishi Sunak

heres to more of the same over the next 6 weeks
This is superb. The bafflement and dismay of Tory backbenchers. “Cruel” - oh my sides.
From the link:
“a warning from the Deputy Prime Minister that Brits should start stockpiling food (hardly a strong message with which to kick off a campaign”

Sunak should get behind that strong message and have it plastered across his lectern, the nob. Forget ‘stop the boats’, replace with ‘hoard yer bogroll’ 😄

I think the idea that Sunak actually thinks his party/govt will get worse from now until November, and that this inflation news is about as good as it gets, is a compelling one. Sunak and any sane Tories left have probably just had enough and want to get it over with. His party is falling apart, nobody likes him and endless talk of leadership challenges, Farage looming...
Either that or he knows a major Jeffrey Donaldson-type scandal is brewing and due to hit the press when the injunctions expire. “JEFFREY!! ITS ME! LOOKATIM. YA GUILTY LOOKING. TALK TAE ME JEFFREY!!”

And old Sunak isn't great at debating and TV - it's easy to get him riled and looking petulant, which isn't a look voters like.

I don't think it's a genuine offer.

He was so petulant on radio 4 this morning. No matter how hard he tries to spin it, no planes are going to Rwanda on his watch.

Alistair Campbell put it pretty well when he said - of Sunak's 5 pledges, the only one that's actually panned out is the one which he probably had least influence over (halving inflation) and the rest just aren't true when taken in the context of the last 12 months. Sunak desperately trying to spin it so everyone looks at the Economy/NHS waiting lists/National Debt through the lens of the last 3 months. Hopefully nobody is buying his bullshit.

1716462659221.png

Last edited:

I thought there was a Reform press conference planned for 11? That's one of the most crucial elements of this election. It will be close without a spoiler to the right.

Nothing very interesting, certainly no hints of a pact. Close the borders to foreigns. Candidates in 630 seats. Tice standing somewhere grim up North. Claims that Farage will be actively involved, despite his tweet this morning. It didn’t get a lot of coverage because the AV packed in.

Reform have cancelled their morning Blitzkrieg media round, and are doing a press conference nat 11am.

I think they'll do a 2019 - bottle it, and back the Tories.
Standing in 630 out of 650 seats

I won't pretend I'm not slightly surprised by Tice standing after Führage bottled it, but let's wait till Reform get 630 sets of nomination papers in, shall we?

Reform didn't stand a candidate for PCC where I live, while the English Democrats (Send them back where they come from and hang the (brown) rapists Party) got 20% of the vote.

I'm not remotely convinced they've got the depth to put 630 candidates forward, let alone actually campaign for the.

Reform standing in the newly formed Godalming & Ash, will chip away at Hunt's vote, the people who would've voted Hunt but will vote Lib Dem this time won't be drawn to Reform at all, could make Hunt's position very vulnerable...

Back
Top Bottom