Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

A friend (not on here) has reminded me that I said round xmas time that he might try and call it so as to (try and) benefit from a euro 24 bounce.

but more recently, i've thought they would wait

wonder what they are expecting to hit the fan over the summer?
War crimes related maybe?

So, what are people's theories as to why they called it now?

I've heard:
  • the Rwanda scheme is likely to fail spectacularly, so let's call an election before we make tits of ourselves over it
  • announcement about inflation coming down, that should make people forget the cost of living crisis, Partygate, Lettuce Truss crashing the economy, not being able to get a doctor's appointment until October, shit in the water, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
  • the footy is on and that will result in a spontaneous outburst of joyous patriotism which will make people forget the Lettuce, Partygate, see above, and vote Conservative.

I haven't heard that a huge scandal is about to break or anything like that, which could add to the fun.

Rishi has a job offer starting in September

Do you think he’ll be playing the plucky underdog, going for the sympathy vote, and his bravery playing on a wet pitch was part of this? Ten-nil down in the pouring rain, looking for a Roy of the Rovers moment?

That effectively halves the Labour poll lead if so

Dunno.

It's certainly true that Reforms supporters/voters are far more homogeneously 'ex-tories' than UKIP's were, which were almost 50/50 ex-labour/Tories.

But.

Reforms' venting has been relentlessly anti-tory. Führage and Tice might pivot, but I'm not convinced that given the consistency of their message over the last couple of years, that all of their followers will do so.

Galloway might say 'vote Labour ', but that doesn't mean those who voted for him, support him, will do so.

Reform have cancelled their morning Blitzkrieg media round, and are doing a press conference nat 11am.

I think they'll do a 2019 - bottle it, and back the Tories.

Given that their entire 'rationale' thus far has been that "the tories ain't the tories and we are"; I'm not convinced that Tice wants to throw it all away. I think he's deluded enough to think he can destroy them.

Given that their entire 'rationale' thus far has been that "the tories ain't the tories and we are"; I'm not convinced that Tice wants to throw it all away. I think he's deluded enough to think he can destroy them.

I certainly hope so. If Reform stand in my constituency - and they put some prospective councillors up on the locals (though none were elected) then the Tory here will lose.

So, what are people's theories as to why they called it now?

I've heard:
  • the Rwanda scheme is likely to fail spectacularly, so let's call an election before we make tits of ourselves over it
  • announcement about inflation coming down, that should make people forget the cost of living crisis, Partygate, Lettuce Truss crashing the economy, not being able to get a doctor's appointment until October, shit in the water, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
  • the footy is on and that will result in a spontaneous outburst of joyous patriotism which will make people forget the Lettuce, Partygate, see above, and vote Conservative.

I haven't heard that a huge scandal is about to break or anything like that, which could add to the fun.
i would speculatively add to those:
summer holidays = reduce turn out, disproportionate amount of young people wont vote.... holidays less youth energy to campaign....a switched off/status quo feeling in the air ...... .. get on with it before anything else majorly bad happens in autumn

I don't know about the student vote thing. Seems to me that term time vote= students voting predominantly in seats the Tories have no chance in, whereas summer vote = student vote spread out all over including in marginals.

I mean I'm not saying that isn't their thinking, just that if it is it looks like a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom