Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Good news from the BBC:
John Curtice said:
Notably, turnout is well down compared to recent elections. At the moment, it looks as though it could fall to 60%. This will be the second lowest turnout ever in a UK election since 1885. Only the 59% in 2001 was lower.

Can see some of that - also people from the bits just outside of London. Most people who move out of London do so for money reasons. but the people who move from outer London to Clacton are white flight.

There are some nice parts of Clacton, too.

Southend was going the same way but it has good train connections to London, which fits well with hybrid working. It's still very right wing but basically it has jobs and hope. Clacton has neither.
All the more reason for Labour to tackle levelling up where regional inequalities exist rather than withdraw candiddates.

The loss in 2019 was largely due to Brexit.

This win is due to the Conservatives imploding and Reform taking over large parts of their vote share.

It's got nothing to do with the grown ups being back in the room. My gut feeling is that if they'd run anything that actually proposed any kind of change then this would have been even bigger.

Imagine a Corbyn style manifesto but with somebody who half the population didn't think was a terrorist.

What a waste.

The loss in 2019 was largely due to Brexit.

This win is due to the Conservatives imploding and Reform taking over large parts of their vote share.

It's got nothing to do with the grown ups being back in the room. My gut feeling is that if they'd run anything that actually proposed any kind of change then this would have been even bigger.

Imagine a Corbyn style manifesto but with somebody who half the population didn't think was a terrorist.

What a waste.

As much as I would like to believe that narrative, Corbyn was very good at uniting the right/centre right vote against him and Starmer is very good at allowing Tory voters to stay at home or switch to Reform. I doubt Corbyn would have got as big a majority.

It's not a case of the grown-ups being in charge but it's a fact that there's a lot of right wingers out there and left haven't won the argument yet. Neither have Starmer/centrist of course, but triangulation works.

Genuinely not quite as sarky as it'll sound, but just how likely would that be?

I mean, they may not be branded 'terrorist', but would anyone presenting Corbyn-style manifesto get away without being branded something?
Yeah sure but, for example, Starmer is a Sir, ex head of the DPP etc etc. Would probably get an easier ride than an old lefty who's sat with the IRA and wore an old coat once or something.

In this election people were absolutely screaming out for change. But the only people who offered that were Reform (and the Greens). Look at the turnout. Everybody is so fucked off. Imagine if Labour had actually offered something meaningful.

Look at the Gaza independents. Single issue independents taking seats from a party winning a landslide!

The worry for me is that they won't look at that, they'll look at 400 seats and be "our mandate from the public is very clear and we'll carry on like the govt has for the past fifteen years, it will be fine, there's no magic money tree" and get absolutely obliterated next time round.

What are your demands regarding the border? Especially now the number of SF MP’s has increased?
I suppose the most realistic hope is the border poll.
It could lead to a United country on the island of Ireland, but even with a ‘democratic’ process there will be violence from Unionists in pain.

Back
Top Bottom