Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

PR1Berske

Alligator in chains by the park gates.
Guardian: Hamas launches surprise attack on Israel as Palestinian gunmen reported in south

"Unconfirmed initial reports and graphic pictures and video appeared to show that gunmen had opened fire in the border town of Sderot, killing several Israeli civilians and soldiers. One elderly woman was confirmed dead by medics in unclear circumstances, and another four people killed by rocket fire.

In a statement, Mohammad Deif, Hamas’ military commander in Gaza, announced the start of a new operation to free Jerusalem’s sensitive al-Aqsa mosque compound, which has seen an uptick in Jewish visitors in the last few weeks owing to the Jewish high holidays. He added that “this is only the first stage” of Hamas’ renewed efforts against Israel."

Aljazeera:

"US official condemns ‘indiscriminate’ attack on Israel
Stephanie Hallett, the charge d’affaires at the US embassy in Jerusalem, has slammed the rocket attacks from Gaza against Israel.

“I condemn the indiscriminate rocket fire by Hamas terrorists against Israeli civilians,” she said in a statement on social media platform X.

“I am in contact with Israeli officials, and fully support Israel’s right to defend itself from such terrorist act,” she a"dded.

BBC : Strikes on Gaza after Palestinian militants enter Israel

"Israel's Defense Forces (IDF) said the group "had begun a massive shooting of rockets from the Gaza Strip into Israeli territory" and that militants had entered Israeli territory in "different locations".

The statement said the chief of the general staff was conducting a "situational assessment" and that Hamas would "face the consequences and responsibility for these events".

It added that residents in the area surrounding the Gaza Strip have been asked to stay inside, while civilians in southern and central areas are "required to stay next to shelters".

Israel's Magen David Adom rescue agency said one person had died with 15 others injured."

Netanyahu has just tweeted a video with the caption "אנחנו במלחמה."

It translates as "We are at war"

I saw a claim on twitter that Hamas fighters live streamed killing civilian. Is that credible, does anyone know?

There are lots of videos circulating on telegram/Twitter /reddit of dead soldiers but I haven't seen any footage of executions of civilians

BBC reporter Frank Gardner has said he wouldn't be surprised if Hezbollah from Lebanon got involved too?

BBC reporter Frank Gardner has said he wouldn't be surprised if Hezbollah from Lebanon got involved too?

TBF I find it hard to believe that Hamas would have launched this without real promises of effective support.

I also cannot believe that, however shocking the footage is of this (and there does seem to be loads of it about) that the rest of the region and the wider world is going to sit by and watch whilst the Israelis retaliate on the scale which Bibi will attempt as a way of covering up his utter failure as a leader. Even the US veto may well be shown up as completely ineffective in that regard.

I saw a claim on twitter that Hamas fighters live streamed killing civilian. Is that credible, does anyone know?

I didn't watch it live, but I've seen a clip of a child, maybe 12yo or a tall 10yo, dragged from a car with Israeli plates, pushed into the road and shot through the head. There was lots of other shooting in the clip, which I presume was her parents being murdered.

Israel is going to go wild - part in panic at having failed to see this (and it's a massive, and complex operation for Hamas, far larger than anything they've ever done before), and part in panic at forestalling a Hezbollah led operation in the North. Bibi isn't going to be the driver in this - he's obviously failed to prevent this, and he'll be looking to play the hard man in his normal failing way - but he's not not going to be an outlier in terms of opinion.

The timing with the 50th anniversary of the 1973 war, where Syria and Egypt caught the Israelis napping, is not a coincidence.

Did Israeli intelligence not have any warning this was going to happen, because normally intelligence and agencies have tip off?

Did Israeli intelligence not have any warning this was going to happen, because normally intelligence and agencies have tip off?
That question was asked ( but not answered) on the BBC today . Seems incredible that there wouldn’t be some intelligence but perhaps timing was the surprise ?

Suggestion there is more to this than meets the eye ?

Sorry for repeating myself, and I don't necessarily agree with Mason there, but I think there is no way Hamas would have done this by themselves without some expectation that they would get properly supported in some way from someone able to provide that support.

That may not be immediate military support, but it could be in terms of preventing the sort of response that (as kebabking noted) the current Israeli leadership will demand - which is going to be orders of magnitude greater than Cast Lead and all the rest (which themselves killed hundreds / thousands) I think its very likely. Most of the non-US "West" is getting most of its energy from countries that could be expected to strongly object to Gaza being flattened and its population dying in large numbers.

Sorry for repeating myself, and I don't necessarily agree with Mason there, but I think there is no way Hamas would have done this by themselves without some expectation that they would get properly supported in some way from someone able to provide that support.

That may not be immediate military support, but it could be in terms of preventing the sort of response that (as kebabking noted) the current Israeli leadership will demand - which is going to be orders of magnitude greater than Cast Lead and all the rest (which themselves killed hundreds / thousands) I think its very likely. Most of the non-US "West" is getting most of its energy from countries that could be expected to strongly object to Gaza being flattened and its population dying in large numbers.
I don’t think you are suggesting that the other incidents are linked though like Mason is ?

Back
Top Bottom