Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

It's been said many times before but this didn't start on 7 October 2023.
Always, the key.

It's not as though entering, armed, into settlements and killing residents and taking others prisoner and back to another country is a new tactic in the region.

Only time will tell how strategically important October 7th will be, but on any human metric it looks like a colossal misjudgement and (further) disaster for the Palestinian people.

What were the Palestinians supposed to do?
If that's addressed to me, I'm gonna put my hand up and say that i genuinely don't know. All that I can say is that tens of thousands of Palestinians have died and their homes destroyed as a result of the Oct 7th military decision made by their political leaders and Iran.

What were the Palestinians supposed to do?

Hamas, not the Palestinian people in general, because they are not the same, shouldn't have taken military action when they were not able to protect themselves or the people of Gaza from the inevitable response.

Do you think the attack on 7 October was either morally acceptable or tactically rational?

Always, the key.

It's not as though entering, armed, into settlements and killing residents and taking others prisoner and back to another country is a new tactic in the region.

Only time will tell how strategically important October 7th will be, but on any human metric it looks like a colossal misjudgement and (further) disaster for the Palestinian people.
It's hard to reply to that without following Tim's debating methods, but I'll just say this started long before October the 7th

Report by Al Jazeera.

They have some contact with remaining medical staff in hospitals who are refusing to leave their patients.

Reading the article and IDF have put remaining population effectively under siege

It's very hard to verify exactly what's going on.

It also looks like they are separating men from woman and children when they can. This is from IDF footage.
The UN’s World Food Programme said on October 12 that the north was “basically cut off and we’re not able to operate there”.

A doctor told Al Jazeera he was in convoy trying to get to north and was stopped by IDF

I'm not getting caught up in the morality, the armed forces of both sides are immoral but the 'tactically rational' line is used exclusively by people who think the Palestinians and their various armed forces should just shut up and accept their lot. Just as conversations aren't all rational arguments where we try to persuade each other of our point of view, acts of violence are rarely a rational tactic towards a clear aim but rather born of emotions like hatred and vengeance. What did the Israelis think the result of keeping two million people in an open air prison was going to be? Was that a rational act?

I'm not getting caught up in the morality, the armed forces of both sides are immoral but the 'tactically rational' line is used exclusively by people who think the Palestinians and their various armed forces should just shut up and accept their lot. Just as conversations aren't all rational arguments where we try to persuade each other of our point of view, acts of violence are rarely a rational tactic towards a clear aim but rather born of emotions like hatred and vengeance. What did the Israelis think the result of keeping two million people in an open air prison was going to be? Was that a rational act?
That raises some good points and causes me to reflect on how I expressed myself above. But, I'm still not really comfortable with the notion that, to the people, any armed forces are necessarily "theirs" or operate in their interests.

Hamas, not the Palestinian people in general, because they are not the same, shouldn't have taken military action when they were not able to protect themselves or the people of Gaza from the inevitable response.

Do you think the attack on 7 October was either morally acceptable or tactically rational?
History shows us that sooner or later there will be a revolt against brutality whether that itself be brutal beyond belief or peaceful. Haiti is a classic example as is the Warsaw Ghetto or the slave revolts in what is now present day Guyana. The first succeeded, the others sadly failed.

Unfortunately it will happen again, Israel cannot oppress and/or kill its way out of the situation it has created.

History shows us that sooner or later there will be a revolt against brutality whether that itself be brutal beyond belief or peaceful. Haiti is a classic example as is the Warsaw Ghetto or the slave revolts in what is now present day Guyana. The first succeeded, the others sadly failed.

Unfortunately it will happen again, Israel cannot oppress and/or kill its way out of the situation it has created.
Although ,clearly, it's going to have a damn good try

Does anyone know whether anyone in Gaza is still able to leave since the Israelis destroyed the Rafah crossing? I'm in contact with 2 people in Gaza through Goodreads who are trying to raise money to get out, but I'm pretty worried about them because the info on the Rafah crossing i can find, seems to suggest the area is now controlled by Israel.

Does anyone know whether anyone in Gaza is still able to leave since the Israelis destroyed the Rafah crossing? I'm in contact with 2 people in Gaza through Goodreads who are trying to raise money to get out, but I'm pretty worried about them because the info on the Rafah crossing i can find, seems to suggest the area is now controlled by Israel.
At least one of the people who I have supported on GoFundMe has got out. But he is a doctor and got out recently, travelling to study in Manchester, arriving a few days ago. Israelis might have been more amenable as he is a doctor.
Apparently it costs more than $5000 per person to get a visa from an agent in Egypt.

That raises some good points and causes me to reflect on how I expressed myself above. But, I'm still not really comfortable with the notion that, to the people, any armed forces are necessarily "theirs" or operate in their interests.
The Israeli general Populace and the IDF are not to be considered wholly distinct, most Israelis have either been in the IDF or have a family member in the IDF.
Polls indicate mass support for the IDF in the Civilian population.

At least one of the people who I have supported on GoFundMe has got out. But he is a doctor and got out recently, travelling to study in Manchester, arriving a few days ago. Israelis might have been more amenable as he is a doctor.
Apparently it costs more than $5000 per person to get a visa from an agent in Egypt.
How did he get out (assuming you know this?) By the Rafah crossing or somewhere else?

Yes, did you read it? All references and quotes are attributed.
Yes I read it. It's full of may, might, could, if, possibly etc. and treats some old and fairly out-there ultra-nationalistic 'aspirations' writing as if it's factual and likely to happen, rather than some far-right zionist fever dream. Fair enough, someone was bound to.

But you know, linking Herzl's 19th century zionism (with no mention of the pogroms and oppression that created that movement in the first place) to someone's opinion that the presence of extremists in Israel who still dream of a 'super-israel' (which no doubt there are) is evidence of A Strategic National Plan to that effect is .. ludicrous tbh.

Care este problema ta cu romanii?

כלל לא! כש אני רוצה לדעת משהו על תוכניות ישראליות, אני כול פעם קורא קונספירציות אירופאיות :thumbs:

Last edited:
Something that didn't lead to massive retaliation..Springs to mind.

TBF that assumes that the other side is rational and that it wouldnt do bad things unless provoked.

October 7th was a massacre of many innocent people but, in addition to the past 75 years, it came after ten months of the Israeli regime both demonstrating that it paid no heed to any agreements it signed with anyone else and that it had clear designs on ending the status quo protecting al-Aqsa. Many people (including Biden, the Jordanians, Egyptians and Fatah) tried to head this off by bringing some small crumb of trust back but they were all ignored, or belittled and ignored and so we ended up where we are now.

Back
Top Bottom