Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

No you aren't. You aren't serious about any of this. You think you are, but you're actually just having a good old time winding yourself up and would like the validation of inflicting it on other people. You read what you like. Etc.

I suspect what you say is true of many people here. I certainly experience myself as serious, even though it may not seem that way to others. Maybe best to stick to the substantive topic under discussion?

Let me guess. Behind the scenes pressure, from deep state warmongering neocons, which conveniently leaves no trace?

No, open and undisguised pressure of the "you're either with us or against us" variety. The USA has been desperately trying to pressure all of its allies into joining in or at least funding the war. Fortunately it only seems to work on the UK:

No, open and undisguised pressure of the "you're either with us or against us" variety. The USA has been desperately trying to pressure all of its allies into joining in or at least funding the war. Fortunately it only seems to work on the UK:

On a spending in relation to their defence budget ratio basis, it's those notorious war mongering Swedes you want to look out for. Far ahead of the likes of us. (Poland too, but they have an axe to grind)

That article addresses a completely different point from the one at hand, which is whether Ukraine and other European countries, including the UK, realised before the US that resisting the Russian invasion was a regional imperative that would need considerable support in treasure, if not in blood.

The article you post is about the difficulty in convincing non-European and non-NATO unaligned states. You’re not really doing all this in good faith, are you?

That article addresses a completely different point from the one at hand, which is whether Ukraine and other European countries, including the UK, realised before the US that resisting the Russian invasion was a regional imperative that would need considerable support in treasure, if not in blood.

The article you post is about the difficulty in convincing non-European and non-NATO unaligned states. You’re not really doing all this in good faith, are you?

The article shows how the USA pressures other nations into doing its will. Do you have any evidence for this claim?
the UK, realised before the US that resisting the Russian invasion was a regional imperative that would need considerable support in treasure, if not in blood.

Every nation pressures other nations into doing their will. That's what diplomacy is. Both China and the US happen to have a very deep bag of bribery to dip into, so they're more effective at it. But I mean... you're not wrong, it's just that that is the way the world has worked for centuries. So... Big deal?

The bit which gets me about these kinds of takes is the way they just totally ignore the efforts of Ukraine itself (ironically because it doesn't fit their favourite phrase, "the narrative") and any concept of the leaders of these various countries having their own agendas. It's not "US pressure" that's persuaded Germany to send tanks, it's a wide range of factors involving domestic interests, European politicking and successful lobbying from Zelensky (who whatever else you might say about him has been a very assiduous and frequently successful diplomatic presence). It's a thing about conspiraloons that they work up these incredibly convoluted ways to come to simplistic conclusions.

The article shows how the USA pressures other nations into doing its will. Do you have any evidence for this claim?

It’s applied to all the big inflection points in support, from training troops to providing main battle tanks to supplying longer-range missiles.

Anyway, this is silly. I’d rather just put you on ignore and wait for this thread to go back to being one where people like kebabking who know what they are talking about with war stuff offer something above and beyond what’s generally reported.

I agree that a war like this brings dangers and players need to be careful about what they do. However the threat of nukes is overblown based on what we know from the cold war. It wasn't cold. There were military punches between the US and USSR during that time and it didn't go to mushroom clouds. That's because nukes don't play the role we think and no one wants to use them. Accidents were probably more likely to set the world ablaze than intention.

Back
Top Bottom