Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Every nation pressures other nations into doing their will. That's what diplomacy is. Both China and the US happen to have a very deep bag of bribery to dip into, so they're more effective at it. But I mean... you're not wrong, it's just that that is the way the world has worked for centuries. So... Big deal?

The UK isn't Guatemala, we have a choice about whether to bow to US pressure. But ever since Suez we've chosen to obey them. Perhaps that made sense during the Cold War but, like I say, it's time for a change now, what with the US going completely bonkers and all.

Oh Dear

It’s ok, being in the SS doesn’t necessarily make you a Nazi, you probably just liked the uniforms

It’s ok, being in the SS doesn’t necessarily make you a Nazi, you probably just liked the uniforms

I’ve nearly finished Safe Haven: the United Kingdom’s Investigations into Nazi Collaborators and the Failure of Justice by Jon Silverman. It’s both an astonishing and depressing read about the failure of the U.K. ( and by mention Australia, Canada and the States ) to prosecute, both after the war and then again in the 1990s , those troops involved in war crimes who fought within Nazi ranks who were allowed in to those countries with no adequate screening . When the Soviets demanded extradition they said no , when the Soviets sent intelligence from their interviews with survivors and locals the U.K. wouldn’t use it as evidence .

Last edited:
I’ve nearly finished Safe Haven: the United Kingdom’s Investigations into Nazi Collaborators and the Failure of Justice by Jon Silverman. It’s both an astonishing and depressing read about the failure of the U.K. ( and by mention Australia, Canada and the States ) to prosecute, both after the war and then again in the 1990s , those troops involved in war crimes who fought within Nazi ranks who were allowed in to those countries with no adequate screening . When the Soviets demanded extradition they said no , when the Soviets sent intelligence from their interviews with survivors and locals the U.K. wouldn’t use it as evidence .

Van Braun was lauded by the USA for his rockets ... which absolutely disregarded what happened at Pennemunde {?sp} and the slave factories building V2s ...

Some of the worst ones were returned to the USSR, but on the sly as British agents to stir the UPA insurgency in Western Ukraine.

I think most of them were dealt with pretty quickly though, as I seem to recall that they were betrayed by Kim Philby, or one of his mates.

I've not read this particular pamphlet yet, not wanting to shell out on what I suspect is a load of old bunkum. I say this because of all the other stuff of his I've read on Ukraine. First of all he starts off with the obligatory paragraph denouncing the unjustifiable invasion by Russia, then says how it was provoked anyway, then proceeds to attack Western governments for everything they have done elsewhere in the world.

I've not read this particular pamphlet yet, not wanting to shell out on what I suspect is a load of old bunkum. I say this because of all the other stuff of his I've read on Ukraine. First of all he starts off with the obligatory paragraph denouncing the unjustifiable invasion by Russia, then says how it was provoked anyway, then proceeds to attack Western governments for everything they have done elsewhere in the world.
Yes the old left is very much anti western imperialism.

It's a case of wanting to have the cake and eat it. I am always impressed at the naivety of these anti-war fundamentalists who seem to cherish the notion that if Ukraine just stops fighting, everything will suddenly be peachy, and Russia will stop where it is. Fat chance of that, in my view.

Back
Top Bottom