Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

The testimonies of those that survived say that many of the more systematic massacres carried out during the Nazi occupation of what was Western Ukraine, Belarus and Lithuania involved locals joining the Police sections of the occupiers. They knew who the Jews were, they knew where they lived, they knew those who had communist sympathies. It was these that enthusiastically herded up their former neighbours to be locked in cattle sheds and burnt alive, to be lined up and shot and thrown in trenches or piled on top of each other, babies heads smashed against walls and children executed.

250,000 Ukrainian Auxiliary Police helping to round them up, Nazi German Sonderkommandos and Einsatzgruppen shot 1.5 million Jews to death in the Holocaust in Ukraine. 80,000 Ukrainians originally volunteered for the Ukrainian SS Division Galicia, though not all were accepted. Waffen-SS members had to swear allegiance to Adolf Hitler and the Nazi regime. This is the unit that Hunka volunteered and joined in 1943.

"Caption of Hunka's photograph that I found refers to him in this camp. Estimated 7,500 Jews, 5,000 Soviet prisoners of war & 2,500 Poles perished in concentration camps which were created there to build & serve SS training camp." I. Katchanovski

SS Galicia Division volunteers in SS training camp Heidelager in Nazi-occupied Poland ( below).

1696320532692.png

An interesting analysis from ISW - rather long, well worth reading as it makes some good points and debunks some of the shite ^^^^

Interesting article on waning support. Electoral politics begin to bite into Ukraine support

Decent quotes from involved people.
They're lucky in that Slovakia has pretty much already donated everything that they possibly can, so losing their support doesn't amount to much.
The US is obviously a lot more worrying, but there is still a lot of stuff hiding out in warehouses that's basically zero-cost to donate once it's been shipped. The US Army has made a killing getting rid of things they were going to have to pay to dispose of properly - it's cheaper to let the Ukrainians blow it all up.

They're lucky in that Slovakia has pretty much already donated everything that they possibly can, so losing their support doesn't amount to much.
The US is obviously a lot more worrying, but there is still a lot of stuff hiding out in warehouses that's basically zero-cost to donate once it's been shipped. The US Army has made a killing getting rid of things they were going to have to pay to dispose of properly - it's cheaper to let the Ukrainians blow it all up.

And a wonderful advert for things like Himars.

That's a really superficial post because it fails to take nato's consensus approach into account https://www.nato.int/wearenato/how-are-decisions-taken-nato.html so Slovakia taking a new line on Ukraine could be more important than you suggest

That's a really superficial post because it fails to take nato's consensus approach into account https://www.nato.int/wearenato/how-are-decisions-taken-nato.html so Slovakia taking a new line on Ukraine could be more important than you suggest
I'm not so terribly worried about that because the Americans (and to some degree the Brits, the French) have proven that they'll happily bribe anyone who stands in the way of what they want in NATO. Slovakia just donated all of their MiGs to Ukraine and are waiting on F-16s to replace them. Production delays have pushed them well back into 2024, but they could easily get some tomorrow if the Americans are willing to let one squadron go under-strength for a year. It might even be what the real plan of the new government was in the first place, choosing to ride a wave of populist nonsense to get there. Turkey constantly throws a tantrum to get new toys.

I'm not so terribly worried about that because the Americans (and to some degree the Brits, the French) have proven that they'll happily bribe anyone who stands in the way of what they want in NATO. Slovakia just donated all of their MiGs to Ukraine and are waiting on F-16s to replace them. Production delays have pushed them well back into 2024, but they could easily get some tomorrow if the Americans are willing to let one squadron go under-strength for a year. It might even be what the real plan of the new government was in the first place, choosing to ride a wave of populist nonsense to get there. Turkey constantly throws a tantrum to get new toys.
you think this is all about supplying weapons to ukraine?

Sigh
Let me translate that post for you:
"Would you care to contribute any meaningful content on the subject instead of smug remarks? Because if you do that, I'm going to respond in kind, good and bad."

You've contributed a video on how NATO makes decisions, by which I've said NATO is the Americans getting what they want because they bribe anyone who doesn't agree with that. Then you've offered up some nonsense about whether it's all about weapons for Ukraine, which isn't even something I said.

Sigh
"Would you care to contribute any meaningful content on the subject instead of smug remarks? Because if you do that, I'm going to respond in kind, good and bad."

You've contributed a video on how NATO makes decisions, by which I've said NATO is the Americans getting what they want because they bribe anyone who doesn't agree with that. Then you've offered up some nonsense about whether it's all about weapons for Ukraine, which isn't even something I said.

The US has failed at getting what it wants from other NATO members for many years.

Sigh

It's essentially what you've said, in your post about a change of government in Slovakia not mattering much because they've sent all the weapons they might. For me your the yanks will bribe their way past any local difficulty is complacent. A new government in Slovakia less sympathetic to Ukraine could poke a stick in nato's spokes. maybe you've forgotten Turkey not taking bribes in 2003 and refusing use of their land to launch the planned northern invasion of Iraq, not everyone has tho.

It's essentially what you've said, in your post about a change of Slovakia not mattering much because they've sent all the weapons they might. For me your the yanks will bribe their way past any local difficulty is complacent. A new government in Slovakia less sympathetic to Ukraine could poke a stuck in nato's spokes. maybe you've forgotten Turkey not taking bribes in 2003 and refusing use of their land to launch the planned northern invasion of Iraq, not everyone has tho.
Iraq wasn't a NATO policy. If France or Germany had shared a border in the area, they'd have refused too (pity the UK wouldn't have). It's totally irrelevant. Hungary is already far more pro-Russia than Slovakia and it's not made a lick of difference in NATO's policies. What exactly do you think it will change?

Back
Top Bottom