Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tour de France 2023

I know, I know, I'm just trying to give jumbo some credit for their thinking in a stage that was, in reality, a bit of a disaster for them :D
I think their tactics were valid - Pog looked in trouble yesterday, so let’s smash him to bits today and get ourselves a comfy place to be for week two.

The problem was they should have adjusted this a bit when by halfway up the Tourmalet it was quite clear he was in anything but trouble…

Reactions: Cid
I think their tactics were valid - Pog looked in trouble yesterday, so let’s smash him to bits today and get ourselves a comfy place to be for week two.

The problem was they should have adjusted this a bit when by halfway up the Tourmalet it was quite clear he was in anything but trouble…
I was told to watch the start of the stage as well and wow! Jumbo put the burners on from the flag. They really did try to break the whole UAE team. Glad it backfired for the sake of the race and also I like the Pog a lot.

Seems like a bit of a snoozefest today. There's alot of hype around Stage17 , will it be the decisive one, looks killa !
View attachment 382232

It'll be a sprint but while you are watching it spare a thought (or not) for Sam Bennett, the big money signing for BORA who's currently wheeling around Romania in a 2.1 race. He did manage to win the sprint yesterday against a bunch of Conti, club, development and national teams from the likes of such cycling strongholds as Mexico and Bulgaria.

ITV cut their coverage before they got the Cav interview. I think his and Philipsen's top speeds are pretty similar, so it'll come down to timing. Ewan also matched Philipsen earlier on this week. I don't think we've seen anything of Groenewegen in the finish sprints yet.

Marcel Kittel's a nice addition to the commentary team. I liked his point about him being the wheel to follow back in the day, due to his massive size.

I don't mind them as commentators, but Millar and Kennaugh's magazine piece near the start was very wooden. Boardman used to do a much better job.

Did he confirm that then?
Yeah, as he launched it jumped from the 11 to the 12, he got it back in 11 then it did it again.

Watching the slow-mo Robbie McEwan pointed out the point where it first went - there was a small speed hump, cavs bike came off it at an angle, the impact was probably enough to just cause the chain to jump. Modern 12 speed group sets really don’t have much room for error, the tolerances are fractions of a millimetre.

Reactions: Cid
I wonder if Cav needs a stage win now. I mean in the unretire sense. Whole tour finishing there or thereabouts; top 10-5, sure - still got it, but not quite there... got that Giro win, honourable retirement. But missing a stage against the undoubted best by a dodgy shift? In a clean sprint? I'm not sure someone like Cav is capable of letting that go. Would Astana take him? I don't see great prospects for Bol as a stage winner. I mean no slight on the guy, but Philipsen, Jakobsen, Ewan, Groanelbows etc, and the current generation of all-rounders and puncheurs. Lutsenko GC of course... but... similar rationale to this year would apply.

That said he does have a family to talk him round, and it was a pretty firm statement...

Still though...

Just... all those sprints and it's a ripple on the crest of a small hill. Fuck.

Nice finish tomorrow. Pog to take yellow?

View attachment 382401

Hmm... It's on UAE to push it this time. Reckon Jumbo will ride defensively, keep it fairly steady in the peloton, except for Wout or anyone else who might make the break (though UAE will probably try and shut that down). Just because there don't really seem to be any bits where they can get a proper feel for how Pog is feeling. Final climb is anyone's guess really. Depends on the legs and their assessment of each other.

Really really sad. There aren't many current sportsmen or women in any sport who can without doubt say they are the best to ever do what they do, but he certainly can.

Back
Top Bottom