Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tour de France 2023

Yates seems to be in good form, though I'm not going to pretend to be fully engaged. But y'know, winning Romandie and 2nd in Dauphine certainly isn't nothing. And I think odds were like 15:1 for podium. He's an outside pick, sure, but one which, if Pog's injury starts playing up, or something might actually deliver.

Or, y'know, maybe it's just because LRCP mentioned it in their TDF preview :D

9/2 now. Never say I don't bring you the best tips.

(slightly regretting not acting on them mind you)

Good to see Cadel Evans again, although he seemed to be mispronouncing every other name. He referred to the defending champion's team as "Lotto Jumbo", which they haven't been for five years.

In tech news apparently Jonas was on 1X yesterday, and WVA both yesterday and today.

This last climb looks absolutely horrible. Not for the steepness, for Majka driving it up. It is good to see a capable UAE, just not entirely sure what they're up to. It's stage 2. We're not even in France.

Pog is racking up the bonuses though.

Last edited:
Jumbo wasted so much energy and really screwed that up. Wout van Second threw a little fit at the end. Great television, and chapeau Victor Lafay!

Forums are at war over whether Ving should have taken a pull in the finale so Van Aert could catch Lafay I dint see why the race favourite should sacrifice his chances for a guy who let’s face it hasn’t won a big race in three years.

Forums are at war over whether Ving should have taken a pull in the finale so Van Aert could catch Lafay I dint see why the race favourite should sacrifice his chances for a guy who let’s face it hasn’t won a big race in three years.

I think they would argue he hasn't won because he's such a selfless worker. But it is daft... Particularly with this edition of the TDF, with UAE and Pog seemingly in good form and continually stirring the pot. It makes perfect sense for them to just match UAE, conserve Jonas and be patient... all these moves, keeping Yates in yellow etc are energy costs. Bit boring, but it's banking shit for the mountains. Think it does also make sense for Wout to go for stage wins, if only to try and push Pog into contesting, but not at Jonas' expense. Belgian press sounds like a nightmare.

Pete Kennaugh on the ITV aftershow mentioned the precedent of Wiggins leading out Cav whilst in yellow, but failed to point out that was in Paris with the TdF already won.

I think they would argue he hasn't won because he's such a selfless worker. But it is daft... Particularly with this edition of the TDF, with UAE and Pog seemingly in good form and continually stirring the pot. It makes perfect sense for them to just match UAE, conserve Jonas and be patient... all these moves, keeping Yates in yellow etc are energy costs. Bit boring, but it's banking shit for the mountains. Think it does also make sense for Wout to go for stage wins, if only to try and push Pog into contesting, but not at Jonas' expense. Belgian press sounds like a nightmare.
I was talking about Van Aert as team leader and he hasn't delivered in a Monument, World Championships or the Olympics since his one big win in March 2020 yet the guy is supposed to be a generational talent that the current TdF champion has to take risks for.
As for the Belgian press...it's worth looking at Sporza for a laugh. Barely any mention of Lafay.

Look bikes are so nice. Aesthetically. Good to see them feature a bit under Lafay.

Also in design terms, shittest kits in a while I think. Too many in white.

He's up against a strong field though... Like both Jakobsen and Philipsen too. Probably Philipsen for this stage. Cav would obviously be great though.
18/1 to win stage.. I stuck a couple of quid on him but I'm not expecting any returns.
Who's pulling the peloton? GC or sprint teams?
Edit..stupid question. Tuned in and Tim the Tractor is at the front.

Last edited:
18/1 to win stage.. I stuck a couple of quid on him but I'm not expecting any returns.
Who's pulling the peloton? GC or sprint teams?
Edit..stupid question. Tuned in and Tim the Tractor is at the front.

It's a big ol' bunch whatever else.

Loving this. Soon van Aert will have no toys left to throw out the pram.

Will the Belgians complain about a Belgian from a Belgian team beating a Belgian from a Netherlands team? Presumably :hmm:

I have sympathy for Wout, he's come across all right in things I have seen him in. Or at least no worse than most. Dude must have so much pressure on him, in addition to the innate pressure of racing in a grand tour, in the defending team.

Back
Top Bottom