Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2023

Jimmy's a bit silly not to follow suit really. Surely this is also his last test match. Broad's going out on his terms. Jimmy's gonna be dropped.
He only told Anderson last night. I don't know how much of a moment in the spotlight Anderson wants, but I doubt he wanted to be bounced into it. He may well be thinking he wants to carry on, but I do think this speeds up his departure. Even though the other bolwlers are knocking on a bit, he'll be around 7 years older than the oldest of them. Dunno, he might retire on Monday, though he certainly wasn't planning on doing so before this.

He only told Anderson last night. I don't know how much of a moment in the spotlight Anderson wants, but I doubt he wanted to be bounced into it. He may well be thinking he wants to carry on, but I do think this speeds up his departure. Even though the other bolwlers are knocking on a bit, he'll be around 7 years older than the oldest of them. Dunno, he might retire on Monday, though he certainly wasn't planning on doing so before this.

IMG_0026.jpeg

Anderson is 10 wickets short of 700 and 18 away from Warne. If he plays a few of the tests against India, Sri Lanka and the West Indies he should achieve that.

View attachment 385042

Anderson is 10 wickets short of 700 and 18 away from Warne. If he plays a few of the tests against India, Sri Lanka and the West Indies he should achieve that.
Good point, though there will be a lot of touring and not getting picked every match before he gets those 18. But yeah, if he doesn't go now, it looks like he may be after that 2nd place, or biggest run taker who isn't double jointed.

I looked at those figures above earlier on and had assumed Murali and Warne were way better than Anderson on all counts. They do have better averages, but the strike rates are very similar from my maths (Murali 55.04, Warne 57.49 and Anderson 56.71). Though maybe spinners tend to bowl longer spells and build pressure slowly?

Worth noting that none of them are anywhere near the top of the strike rate list: Top 8 bowlers with best strike rate in Test cricket with more than 200 test wickets

He's about to turn 41. He needs to get realistic. I don't think there's a chance he'll go to India. McCullum should have a quiet word with him and let him retire with grace rather than be dropped.

He's about to turn 41. He needs to get realistic. I don't think there's a chance he'll go to India. McCullum should have a quiet word with him and let him retire with grace rather than be dropped.
An in form Anderson is a very handy player to have in India. Different calculation for Broad, who has a poor record in India where conditions don't suit him, so wouldn't realistically be looking to feature again until next summer anyway. In that sense, Anderson in form is a more complete bowler than Broad - Anderson has had success everywhere in all conditions.

It's not so much his age as the fact that he's had an appalling summer. I wouldn't have picked Anderson for OT, and I definitely wouldn't have picked him for the Oval after his OT performance. His form just doesn't merit selection.

I hope the pair of them do well tomorrow. But players don't always get the perfect ending. I will be surprised if Anderson doesn't follow suit. He has every right to put himself up for selection for as long as he likes, but the selectors have a right not to pick him.

Interesting tactic protecting one another.

How the hell did that bounce that much, mind you?

So there it is, target 384. 382 for England to square the series.

90% chance of rain later. Why the fuck didnt they declare overnight?
Not often I agree with Eeyore, but should have done. Broad got a lovely moment walking out and a lovelier one belting a six, but that's 4 overs down and we could need every ball available with the weather.

I suspect it will be Wood and Woakes who do most of the damage, but a new ball wicket for Anderson here would be great. Plus Broad getting Warner one last time.

One of the big turning points for me has been the return of the two Ws for the last three tests. They've been outstanding.

I suspect it will be Wood and Woakes who do most of the damage, but a new ball wicket for Anderson here would be great. Plus Broad getting Warner one last time.

One of the big turning points for me has been the return of the two Ws for the last three tests. They've been outstanding.

Well presumably Wood's injured so thats that one out

They've just been saying on TMS that the weather radar is not looking very promising for the rest of the day. This would kind of bear that out.

What a hugely unlucky series weatherwise.

Credit the Aus openers here. England have been a bit flat. Moeen clearly not right and he could have been a handful today. Wood also not quite right. 'down' at 140kph. But Warner and Khawaja have played very well. Warner's had a funny series. He's looked very good most of the time, but just hasn't gone on to anything big.

Intriguing final day set up assuming a good chunk of play. Aus don't need to force anything. England need to find a bit of energy.

It is odd that Anderson bowled twice as many overs as any other seamer today. I'm afraid it has to be more in hope than expectation that he will discover some magic. He currently has five wickets at 81 for the series. Clinging to Anderson is now damaging England's chances.

Back
Top Bottom