Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2023

Definitely bat out the day if possible. Bowling Australia out could be very tricky judging from England’s performance, so the bowlers need to be as fresh as possible and have a many runs in the bank as possible to bowl at. If two days isn’t enough then I can’t see two days and 30 minutes being the decisive factor.

377 lead at close. Surely that's that, no point sending Broad and Anderson back out in the morning to score a couple more but take a chunk of time out.

Broad just announced his retirement live on TV!!!

Going out after a fabulous series on a personal level, he's been excellent.
Took me by surprise (but not Athers and Sky obvs).

I’m a lot older than these players but feel I’ve watched Broad and Anderson grow up. I’ve loved watching Stuart bowl (& bat) over the years…loved the Ashes shithousery. No doubt a long stint in the commentary box awaits. Good luck to him. Hope he takes a 5-fer tomorrow

An odd time to announce it, but on the cards.

8-15 is the single word answer for the greatest day of cricket I've ever seen (on tv). Was a train strike IIRC, and the while nation was transfixed. The innings that fit in a tweet.

The shithousery and 'Bails of the Century' yesterday all put him in the elite tier of fan favourites.

An odd time to announce it, but on the cards.

8-15 is the single word answer for the greatest day of cricket I've ever seen (on tv). Was a train strike IIRC, and the while nation was transfixed. The innings that fit in a tweet.

The shithousery and 'Bails of the Century' yesterday all put him in the elite tier of fan favourites.

8-15 right up there for me too ❤️

Well, that was a surprise. No reason to think the 2 things are linked, but I wonder if this precipitates Anderson's retirement? He might feel a bit exposed now. Equally England might not want to lose 2 at once.

Anyway, a big loss for England, he's been just about their best bowler.

Jimmy's a bit silly not to follow suit really. Surely this is also his last test match. Broad's going out on his terms. Jimmy's gonna be dropped.

Assuming Broad's recounting is accurate, Anderson's reaction would possibly suggest he really isn't considering his own retirement any time soon.

"He just said 'are you joking?'," Broad told BBC Test Match Special, after being asked when he gave Anderson the news.

This has prompted me to pay through the nose for a ticket tomorrow. The last opportunity to watch Broad and Anderson bowl (and bat!) together.

Got fucking good seats to boot.

I was sorely tempted to look for one too, but I'm committed to umpiring a club game.

What did you pay for the ticket and which stand?

Assuming Broad's recounting is accurate, Anderson's reaction would possibly suggest he really isn't considering his own retirement any time soon.
Were you listening to TMS? It was actually quite moving. He said that Jimmy first just didn’t say anything, then he asked “are you joking?”, but Broad recounted it in quite a quiet way. I got a catch in my throat, to be honest — it was like the end of a marriage.

Back
Top Bottom