Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2023

Also there is the fact that players can surprise you when they step up. I didn't guess that Stokes would be a superb leader in all regards. Not in the way he has turned out to be.

I agree about Brook. You need a bit of an ego to be an effective captain and he's definitely not short of that. Vaughan is a shit, but he was immensely arrogant and very successful.

I think once Brook grows up a bit he could be it. He's fearless at least. I think we can all agree that Ollie Pope succeeding Ben fucking Stokes would be hilarious. But who would want that job.

88a67eb7bc87ac6aac8cb7112a6bcf52.jpg

Anderson playing a tricksy one here: 12ft |

“I don’t mind if they stick with the winning team”

Noting his main competition is the pace of Tongue.

Re: Stokes, he doesn’t need to bowl. His captaincy and that ability to perform when it’s most needed will keep him in a job for a while yet. Let him gingerly hobble around mid off for a few years. We want to see him captain in Australia in 25/26. Hopefully Archer’s body would have hardened by then. One last tour for Wood. Olly Stone would have matured by then.

Anderson playing a tricksy one here: 12ft

“I don’t mind if they stick with the winning team”

Noting his main competition is the pace of Tongue.
From the timestamp on that, it looks like it was published in the Telegraph yesterday, before the squad for the 4th test was announced. Maybe there's a bit of latitude for Anderson as he's been playing for decades, but I can't imagine the selectors would be that chuffed at their key decisions being publicly pre-discussed by the players affected.

Edit: I particularly meant his discussion of Bairstow, which would have been the big decision for the selectors (in the sense of calling Foakes up or not).

Re: Stokes, he doesn’t need to bowl. His captaincy and that ability to perform when it’s most needed will keep him in a job for a while yet. Let him gingerly hobble around mid off for a few years. We want to see him captain in Australia in 25/26. Hopefully Archer’s body would have hardened by then. One last tour for Wood. Olly Stone would have matured by then.
I agree with the sentiment but I doubt the longevity. We need to enjoy him while we can.

I agree that Stokes obviously gets in for as long as he's able to play. If he does end up being unable to bowl that creates some big problems though I think. The team as it was last test and presumably next needs Moeen Ali and Chris Woakes to balance it up. It worked OK at Headingly but even in the short term Moeen has retired already and probably won't stick around too long and Woakes' record overseas is atrocious. Maybe Rehan Ahmed replaces Moeen but he's still only 19, and there's not an obvious Woakes alternative - maybe Sam Curran I guess and I don't see that going down well in some quarters. ;)

Judging by his fielding, Rehan Ahmed appears to be one of those annoyingly gifted people who are brilliant at any sport they choose to play. A lot of good judges think he'll end up as a batting allrounder. That could be very handy in places like India or Sri Lanka on pitches where you want three spinners. I can see him getting a run in India. We'll find out more about him then.

As for Sam Curran? :D

Wonder when Leach is back? I know he's out of the Ashes, but haven't seen any updates beyond that.

Leach is making the best of fairly ordinary talents IMO. He's clearly a very good bowler, or he wouldn't be playing international cricket - but he's a journeyman not a master craftsman.

Can someone explain to me why women don't umpire men's games? I get why they can't compete in the athletic stakes as far as actually playing is concerned due to pure brute strength. But I mean, umpires, you're just standing there. I'm sure one of these women umpiring in the womens ashes is just as capable as Marais Erasmus. The umpiring today has been very good.

I'd like to get rid of umpires altogether of course, they're irrelevant and unnecessary in today's world but baby steps. I will win eventually.

must not bite

What point do they serve?

To stop play when it's drizzling a little or the sun's gone behind a cloud and they want a cup of tea so fucking up everyone else's day? All other decisions can be made with technology now. Lose them. 'Umpire's call' is my bete noire and I can be fairly determined when I put my mind to it.

It's the team I expected, but Moeen at 3 is silly. Let's hope it comes off, but history suggests that it won't - he's never made runs in the top three. Root should be there with Moeen at 7. Hey ho.

It's a punt isn't it, probably because neither Root or Brook want to do it. I don't really like it in that it only works if he sticks around for a while and I suspect he'll be sent out with a 'have a swing and if you get out then fine' message.

Back
Top Bottom