Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2023

Sorry to do it to you, lbj, but this morning’s cricket did bring a wry smile remembering this exchange:

Despite his six wickets in the match, I still don't measure Broad as part of England's first choice team anymore when everyone is fit. We'll see who starts at Edgbaston. No Stokes to bowl is a point against the selection of Mark Wood, sadly. I'm guessing it will be Broad, Anderson and Robinson. I'd actually choose Potts ahead of Broad, but that won't happen. And I certainly don't begrudge Broad his chance - he may well be magnificent. But then so could Potts.

You never did! I did a cheeky search of your posts, just to check. This is 2008.

What have you got against the man and his 581 wickets?!?

It's Broad, it's the Ashes, he winds them up chronically. 131 wickets in 35 games at 29.

Jimmy has 112 in the same number of Tests, at 33.

Pace is up. In the high 80s mph, touching 140 ks.

As for that 2008 post, Broad had an ordinary start to his test career. He was lucky not to be dropped in that period.

Tbf to littlebabyjesus he is the person on here who I most agree with, he often posts what I'm about to.

I just think he's wrong on Broad. He's pretty damn right on most else.
Oh yes, no disrespect intended. It’s just funny that the anti-Broadism came back to bite him within 10 overs of the first innings of the Ashes! :D

Lol, did this really happen? Harry Brook as first change?

15th over: Australia 40-2 (Khawaja 22, Smith 6) It’s been an hour without any Stokes-induced madness, so he decides to introduce… Harry Brook to the attack. Five overs from Broad, including two in two, and he gets replaced by a middle-order bat who runs in off a long approach and bowls a twisty frog-footed Virat Kohli kind of stuff that is notionally medium pace but comes out at around 65 miles an hour and seems to loop as though he has an off-spinner’s grip. Smith clips one to midwicket on the bounce, which gets the crowd excited, but more impressive is Bairstow’s take about two metres down the leg side to some proper club-level dross. Smith gets a run to fine leg.

The contrast between the two sides here is quite hilarious. Yesterday you couldn't take your eyes off it, today you can wander down the shops, come back, and nothing's happened.

By the by, I'm a pretty casual cricket watcher and only just found out about Smith's 12 month ban for ball tampering. I've no idea how that sits with other bans, but seems very lenient for what is just about the worst form of cheating imaginable (short of bribing an umpire). Also, tried to conceal the cheating.

By the by, I'm a pretty casual cricket watcher and only just found out about Smith's 12 month ban for ball tampering. I've no idea how that sits with other bans, but seems very lenient for what is just about the worst form of cheating imaginable (short of bribing an umpire). Also, tried to conceal the cheating.

Well yeah. And threw a junior player (Cameron Bancroft) under the bus by getting him to do the tampering and then getting him to lie about it in front of the nation's media. It's pretty clear the senior bowlers would have also known about it.

No, that would be hindsight bias. The media is certainly full of that kind of shit but I am professionally trained to avoid it. It would still have been a terrible decision even if it had worked. Benefiting from a lucky near miss is not the same as successful risk mitigation
Yeah I know. And in that regard I still think it was a good gamble to take, even though it didn't come off last night.

Hmmm. Atherton with the soil in his pocket. Imran Khan used a bottle top. du Plessis and his mints.

tbh the Australian authorities went ballistic but everyone else was just laughing. The idea that the Aussies are paragons of fair play was laughable.

It is cheating but this kind of thing was commonplace. It was inept for them to cheat so badly, though.

The ban came from the Aussies, btw, not the ICC. The penalty for ball tampering from the ICC was maybe a demerit point or two, lose a match fee, perhaps miss one match.

Hmmm. Atherton with the soil in his pocket. Imran Khan used a bottle top. du Plessis and his mints.

tbh the Australian authorities went ballistic but everyone else was just laughing. The idea that the Aussies are paragons of fair play was laughable.

It is cheating but this kind of thing was commonplace. It was inept for them to cheat so badly, though.
Oh yeah, I agree fully about those other cases, every bit as bad. There's 'casual ball tampering', using a finger nail on the seam kind of thing and then there's planned tampering using sandpaper, bottle tops etc. For me, Smith's case was at the very top end - planned, using an implement, covered up - even got someone else to do it. Anyway, I'm waffling on, it just felt like a 12 month ban was very lenient.

Oh yeah, I agree fully about those other cases, every bit as bad. There's 'casual ball tampering', using a finger nail on the seam kind of thing and then there's planned tampering using sandpaper, bottle tops etc. For me, Smith's case was at the very top end - planned, using an implement, covered up - even got someone else to do it. Anyway, I'm waffling on, it just felt like a 12 month ban was very lenient.

Back
Top Bottom