Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

What little fun there will be will be around a couple of left candidates who have a chance of beating Labour (Corbyn top of the pile of course) and those standing on a pro-Gaza ticket (but ideally not on Galloway's latest vehicle). Yeah, not much fun.
Yeah, I wasn't going to vote as my MP is a certain K Starmer. But there is a decent ex-ANC bloke standing against him on pro-Gaza platform. He should get a few thousand, I think, from the Bangladeshi/Somali/me contingent. Won't be enough, though. :(

So rishi - we can do the announcement inside usuing the massive state of the art breifing room - or outside in the pissing rain with a crowd of demonstors trying to drown you out - which do you fancy?

This is what I was thinking. Why go to all the bother build a press briefing room complete with proper acoustics and lighting and all that shit and then choose to stand out in the rain and get drowned out in noise. I mean any idiot PA could’ve told him that.

They are such fuckwits.

This is what I was thinking. Why go to all the bother build a press briefing room complete with proper acoustics and lighting and all that shit and then choose to stand out in the rain and get drowned out in noise. I mean any idiot PA could’ve told him that.

They are such fuckwits.
maybe its the same people who advised him to call the election? They must be pissing themselves (im assuming its an outrageous prank).

nah - labours campaign will be boringly competant whilst the tories will be all over the place (as is already evident from the election announcement) with rats in a sack levels of infighting. The tories are fucked - all the evidnce from the polls, byelections and local elections point to a comfortable labour victory. ReFuk will take a bit out of their vote. I dont think it will be the uber wipeout that some polls predict - but I think it will be labour 39 -44, tories 25-30 and starmer looking at a 3 figure majority.
I think you might be right about the boringly competent, though it will be utterly dull and I have a feeling there will be hand grenades as starmer seeks to match every tory step to the right. Could be a low turn out? Labour won't inspire and won't get that lost generation of working class voters back, though equally they won't stay with the tories. I struggle to see young people lining up with Labour a la Corbyn and the greens and perhaps pro-Gaza candidates will hurt Labour. Those are all feelings - I do know the stats - just wondering whether the voters will be simply unenthusiastic about Labour or will fail to vote for them.

Yeah, my money is on a low turnout. I'm going to plump for sub-60%. 58% perhaps. Variety of reasons, including the new photo id requirement.

Labours leadership obviously believe this is 1997 all over again.

Except it isn't. They could win a majority, but their leader isn't popular by any means, their policy platform is the result of a small target approach and the economics and culture of Britain are extremely fucked up.

There's a lot of variables at work that make the polls interesting in terms of splits. I do feel like this one's a reverse 2017, when the Tories called it because they were so far ahead only for the campaign to cut that lead down to almost nothing.

They are such fuckwits.
You want to use HMG's pressroom for a Conservative announcement...there's headaches and bills involved

I just found out a few days ago that my local Labour Party have blocked both my Twitter accounts. I had an interesting discussion with the last Labour Party canvasser to come to my door, so this'll be something to bring up for sure, if they come back.
Considering the garbage you spew out I'm sure that's not an unusual occurrence.

Yeah, my money is on a low turnout. I'm going to plump for sub-60%. 58% perhaps. Variety of reasons, including the new photo id requirement.
In the 29 GE's since 1918 when all adult males got the vote there have only been 2 elections when the turnout has dipped below 60% (57.2% in 1918 and 59.4% in 2001) so I can't see that being likely. Mostly it oscillates between 70-75% though lower over the last three or four I would expect the same this time. I 'd lay a bet on 70%

In the 29 GE's since 1918 when all adult males got the vote there have only been 2 elections when the turnout has dipped below 60% (57.2% in 1918 and 59.4% in 2001) so I can't see that being likely. Mostly it oscillates between 70-75% though lower over the last three or four I would expect the same this time. I 'd lay a bet on 70%
Yes, I was aware of those numbers. I set it at just below 2001 (2005 wasn't much higher either) due to the photo id factor. We have already seen low turnout in the locals recently with photo id in place. It will make a measureable difference.

There has been a marked downward turn in recent decades, and it has been below 70% for the whole of this century. I'll be amazed if it is anywhere near 70% this time round.

i think a chunk of tory voters may well stay home - but the sheer disgust and hatred for the tories - and the real prospect of getting shot of them - will work agasint a low turnout. In 1997 - despite the myth making since - there was not a great wave of enthusaism for bliar - it was despair and disgust at the useless, sleezy fuckwit tories. Blair was reagarded by many labour people as too right wing, too cautious (he ditched clause 4 and wooded rupert fuckiing murdoch) and a bit "meh" by the public. however in contrast to starmer - he was sharp witted and an excellent communiator. Then again Sunak makes John Major look like martin luther king in the inspirational stakes.

Watch the Tory rally live from excell centre on sky news running now if you want to see why they are going to be toast.

Also fascinating to see if the Campaign against Antisemitism, Labour Against Anti Semitism and associated groups like the Jewish Chronicle etc decide to drop more in the line of the Rochdale by election - you know, footage or comments from months previously which led to a candidate and another PPC having their party support withdrawn.

You wouldn't put it past them.

Back
Top Bottom