Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

I hadn't paid much attention to where the fash vote was - all down-market coastal towns (edit apart from 30p Lee)- though if I was intending to be a pretend MP, I would have hoped for somewhere more salubrious - but at least the expenses for a constituency office / pied-a-terre shouldn't be too high...
It’s where poorer people retire to fwiw. A fair few reactionary old bigots. Those places probably have a lot of retired Londoners of the type who go on about London not being English anymore. Fertile ground for Farage’s con trick.

It’s where poorer people retire to fwiw. A fair few reactionary old bigots. Those places probably have a lot of retired Londoners of the type who go on about London not being English anymore. Fertile ground for Farage’s con trick.
There are downmarket coastal towns in plenty of parts of Britain though, and the reform vote seems especially concentrated in the east, which is interesting. Reform didn't even come second in Blackpool North or Morecambe, for example.

There are downmarket coastal towns in plenty of parts of Britain though, and the reform vote seems especially concentrated in the east, which is interesting. Reform didn't even come second in Blackpool North or Morecambe, for example.
The east phenomenon has been around a good while. I've not put the time or effort into it, and lack the experience, so I cant really do a proper analysis. But I know that in the past the phenomenon has begun immediately to my east. I'm in Nuneaton and as soon as you go a tiny bit further east and cross the A5, rural areas and small towns start to pop up from Hinckley onwards where Labour dont traditionally have a large foothold, and where the likes of UKIP and Kilroy-Silk have found some kind of platform in the past. Likely a combination of local job industries, seasonal employment and rural aspects, retirement patterns, ethnicity etc all play their part in this, and maybe some other factors I never thought about.

The east phenomenon has been around a good while. I've not put the time or effort into it, and lack the experience, so I cant really do a proper analysis. But I know that in the past the phenomenon has begun immediately to my east. I'm in Nuneaton and as soon as you go a tiny bit further east and cross the A5, rural areas and small towns start to pop up from Hinckley onwards where Labour dont traditionally have a large foothold, and where the likes of UKIP and Kilroy-Silk have found some kind of platform in the past. Likely a combination of local job industries, seasonal employment and rural aspects, retirement patterns, ethnicity etc all play their part in this, and maybe some other factors I never thought about.
I know round Peterborough way there was a large influx of people from Eastern Europe to work in the agricultural and food processing industries, I think because Britain allowed them to work here sooner than some other states when they joined the EU.

There was little in the way of provision for this, stuff like doctors didn’t get any extra funding, houses were getting turned into cramped HMOs with people sharing bedrooms in shifts to keep costs down.

The impact from this caused some local hostility. Also men living together in cramped conditions away from home would drink and occasionally fight among themselves, some stabbings as a result, made neighbours fearful even though violence pretty much contained to the group. But the likes of UKIP/Reform always would go after migrants, not those exploiting them.

If Labour has a shred of decency about migration they’ll focus on illegal employment, human traffickers etc. rather than the victims of this. I’m not that hopeful however and expect political attacks on refugees to continue.

It's been dubbed the 'sea wall' (a la the red wall and the blue wall) and, yes, it tends to lean (far) right. I'd also not be surprised about Farage winning Clacton, don't forget that only a few years ago it was UKIP (Carswell after he'd been chucked out the Tories, in a similar manner to 30p, and defected to UKIP because Brexit gave him a stiffy, he stood down in 2015 and the seat became Tory again). Doug's now in the US. Many of the most deprived and impoverished towns in the UK (certainly in England) are on the coast. Jaywick, which the Clacton constituency includes is the most impoverished place in England. Sea wall voters tend to be anti-immigration, nationalistic and Eurosceptic.

When I think of Clacton (which I admit I try not to) it's a '70s town, really, isn't it...? I think of extremely 'un-PC' 'comedians, eg Manning, Davidson, Dawson, Chubby 'Royston Vasey' Brown, et al - it's southern Blackpool really, innit...? Except Blackpool is Labour (although Reform came second).

Having said that, there's a fair deal of overlap between the 'sea wall' and the 'red wall'.

UKIP's largely an irrelevance now - the UKIP candidate in Clacton lost his deposit.

Shockat Adam from Leicester South

By way of a follow up to this:
Archived version: https://archive.ph/jz029
Leicestershire Police said 36-year-old Majid Novsarka — also known as Majid Freeman — had been charged with encouragement of terrorism and supporting a proscribed organisation. He was released on bail. The police have not said which alleged conduct by Freeman formed the basis of the criminal charges.
A video on X — that was reposted by Adam on June 22 — showed Freeman repeatedly questioned Ashworth on the street about why he abstained in a parliamentary vote over a ceasefire in Gaza earlier in the year. Adam wrote above the video, in a reference to the ceasefire vote, that Ashworth was “ashamed” of Labour’s “pro-genocide position”. “If you don’t want to be asked questions by the public when you are canvassing on our streets then maybe you should just stay at home,” he wrote.

Reaction on twitter here

It does leave the question of whether someone in Labour had a word with the police.

Last edited:
The thread unroll service doesn't want to work properly I'm afraid. I thought this might be of interest to people: some of the different oaths and affirmations made by MPs

Graph du jour; the electoral flattening of the "class gradient" achieved by Shammer:

this was predicted. Big turnouts in the middle class areas less so elsewhere. No one wants to say it without circumlocution on the tele but basically the politics of 'where else have they got to go'- which has served everyone so well and deffo not empowered the far right

didn't dennis skinner once get away with adding 'but not her heirs and successors' to his oath?
1720706736539.png
Our old MP Tony Banks taking the oath with his fingers crossed.

From VoteUk:

Sitting MPs defeated at general elections since 1945

1945 - 174
1950 - 84
1951 - 25
1955 - 19
1959 - 33
1964 - 63
1966 - 51
1970 - 78
1974f - 52
1974o - 29
1979 - 65
1983 - 63
1987 - 41
1992 - 60
1997 - 133
2001 - 21
2005 - 50
2010 - 76
2015 - 92
2017 - 67
2019 - 79
2024 - 218

From VoteUk:

1945 - 174
1950 - 84
1951 - 25
1955 - 19
1959 - 33
1964 - 63
1966 - 51
1970 - 78
1974f - 52
1974o - 29
1979 - 65
1983 - 63
1987 - 41
1992 - 60
1997 - 133
2001 - 21
2005 - 50
2010 - 76
2015 - 92
2017 - 67
2019 - 79
2024 - 218
And if I remember correctly, a pretty much unprecedented number of MPs stood down, ie didn't seek reelection.

From VoteUk:

1945 - 174
1950 - 84
1951 - 25
1955 - 19
1959 - 33
1964 - 63
1966 - 51
1970 - 78
1974f - 52
1974o - 29
1979 - 65
1983 - 63
1987 - 41
1992 - 60
1997 - 133
2001 - 21
2005 - 50
2010 - 76
2015 - 92
2017 - 67
2019 - 79
2024 - 218

Biggest by quite some way.

Parliament could be quite random this term, with so many new people

It's Vicky Foxcroft who was the shadow minister so no weird surprises. Wonder how long it'll take them to update the page on the government website.
Found out through checking wikipedia, can't be doing with SM rn.

Minister of State for Disabled People, Health and Work

(not to be confused with Secretary of State for Work and Pensions)

I was wrong. They didn't appoint Vicky Foxcroft.

It was still not clear by 11am this morning (Thursday) who Labour will appoint as its minister for disabled people.

Keir Starmer, the prime minister, has now appointed six work and pensions ministers, but most of their roles have not yet been announced.

Anger and frustration over Labour’s ‘disgraceful’ decision not to appoint Foxcroft as disability minister

Back
Top Bottom