Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

There's this from the final week's polls. Not perfect as the Labour vote dropped in the final couple of days (tactical voting, last minute switchers to Greens/Independents once it was clear the election was in the bag etc.), but gives you a good flavour of how people ended up switching between 2019 and 2024

View attachment 432450
Interesting that there's a "too young to vote in 2019" and not a "voted in 2019, but dead by 2024" category.

Some NoID stats

More than 400,000 people may have been prevented from voting in the general election because they lacked the necessary ID, with those from minority ethnic communities more than twice as likely to have experienced this, polling has suggested.

Of those surveyed by More In Common, 3.2% said they were turned away at least once last Thursday, which if reflected across the UK would equate to more than 850,000 people. Of these, more than half said they either did not return or came back and were still unable to vote.

Among people turned away at least once, about a third had ID that was not on the relatively narrow list of permitted documents; about a quarter said the name on their ID was different to that on the electoral register; and 12% said they were told the picture on the ID did not match their appearance.

They barely glanced at my brand spanking new bus pass.

Hardly news as the chamber has always been that size and there are fewer MPs than in the last parliament.

According to google it's still 650 MPs, same as last time, SF doesn't take their seats, but they got 7 in both elections, so that doesn't change the numbers.

Reactions: tim
Foreign Secretary I presume since he is in the HoL he didn't stand for re-election. I suspect it's just a formality so Starmer can appoint his own choice

Why are they having a levelling up sec? Don't they have the imagination to make up their own stupid departments for the achievement of fuck all.
And it’s gone.

Jim McMahon says:
No, it was firmly tippexed out of the department yesterday, so we are now the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.

Why that is important for me is levelling up was only ever a slogan, it wasn’t a thing that people felt in their communities.

RIP levelling up. You’ll not be missed.

<election map>
I hadn't paid much attention to where the fash vote was - all down-market coastal towns (edit apart from 30p Lee)- though if I was intending to be a pretend MP, I would have hoped for somewhere more salubrious - but at least the expenses for a constituency office / pied-a-terre shouldn't be too high...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom