Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Will the greens be able to continue have co-leaders of their parliamentary group?
Why wouldn't they? Is there something either in parliamentary or the party's laws that wouldn't allow it?

<edit: oh, wait, presumably in the Commons, at least, a party can only have one official 'leader', for... reasons?>

Men are rapists! Men commit 98% of sexual offences. TWs are men. Keeping men out of women's spaces (regardless of their self-proclaimed identity) is sensible risk reduction. (funny, I got a warning for using the word cunt but I bet you don't for doing the same). Left-wing misogynist men are the same as right-wing misogynist men. Both misogynists. Neither give a shit about women's safety.
You're banned from this thread for obsessive disruption.

Reform are bellyaching about FPTP & saying they are going after the Labour vote in 2029. 4m is a healthy chunk of votes tbf , pretty similar to the number UKIP got in 2015 , and maybe what the Brexit Party would have got in 2019 if Farage hadn't bottled it and withdrew 300 candidates. So their bedrock support is around 4m, which has been replenished following death (they have a high average age) . So I can't see how they are going to get more.
I mean, hate to say it but they're not wrong.

if they achieve power under fptp though will they change anything? Or, maybe the bellyaching is just part of the general cashing in on unrest with Labour and Tories strategy and they don't actually give a crap.
Sure and they could easily be the beneficiaries of this shitshow at some point especially if the Tories implode. They're coming second and third in many places already.

As we've seen in the US and in the Tory party itself First Past The Post isn't that great at keeping out the extremes any more especially if one party gets captured by far right activists.

I don't see how a 30 point discrepancy between seats and votes can't be seen as a travesty tbh.
Well it can join the list of other things that make a mockery of the system and lofty ideas about 'democracy'.

The main caveat thats used, if we imagine a fairer system and what impact that would have on future elections, is the idea that plenty of people vote tactically with the current system in mind. So if we held an election with a different system, that would have some impact on voting that is hard to predict, hard to use figures from this weeks election to make claims about.

Likewise, if we were facing an election where there was the prospect of reform gaining significant real power, we dont know what that would do to the potential votes by all the people that could not stand the idea of them gaining power. A factor which could be highly relevant given the big chunk of people that have not voted at all in recent general elections.

They indirectly have quite a lot of power already though as shown by the Tories' adoption of a hard right agenda.

They indirectly have quite a lot of power already though as shown by the Tories' adoption of a hard right agenda.
From that angle they just lost a load of power then, because the tories arent in power any more.

And I dont know as Id attribute that hard right agenda to Reform, as opposed to it being out there more generally and them just taking advantage of it and organising around it, and the even broader phenomenon of people wanting an obvious home for their protest vote. It has an impact on rhetoric and certain government priorities, but beyond brexit I dont know what actual policies it will end up enabling really. Its hard to predict during this wobbly time globally where the failures of neoliberalism over a very long period of time have come home to roost. Especially as sometimes the far-right populist bogeyman fears are actually used by the neoliberal 'centre' as being one of the few reasons left they can come up with as to why people should still vote for the 'centre' and more neoliberalism. I dont know if this stuff will just go round in circles for decades to come or whether it will explode at some point, or what that will look like.

I'm inclined to attribute Labours shifting stance in those areas to the right wing of the Labour party, but I'd certainly agree that what the herd managers can get away with promoting as being the acceptable bounds of 'legitimate debate' are influenced by the rise of right wing populism, in stark contrast to what happened with the left-leaning opposite.

It's been bizarre seeing so many people making the argument that Starmer has played a blinder by going for a wide voter spread, rather than "wasting time and energy on votes that don't matter"*, with seemingly no thought to what the concept of "votes that don't matter" means for the fundamental state of our democracy.

*in response to the point that Labour received more votes and vote share in 2017 and 2019.

No it hasn’t. Count is still ongoing.

The count may be still going on, but the the SNP have already conceded defeat, about 10 hours ago. so it's a LD win.

The constituency is expected to go to the Liberal Democrats - although the result will not be officially confirmed until the third count is completed. It started at 10:30 on Saturday.

SNP candidate Drew Hendry has already conceded defeat.

It's been bizarre seeing so many people making the argument that Starmer has played a blinder by going for a wide voter spread, rather than "wasting time and energy on votes that don't matter"*,
I mean, been thinkin about this, and I don't see how Labour could have had any control over the spread of the Labour vote, short of asking people to move house, which they clearly didn't do. Its just blind luck isn't it?

Why is it taken so long?
“Returning officer Derek Brown said the delay was due to a discrepancy between the verified votes total and the provisional number of counted votes.” BBC

Conservative candidate Ruraidh Stewart’s election agent Donald Mackenzie said: “The issue is that we do not know what the difference between the actual votes and those that they had is – if it was seven then it is fine, just a rounding error, I am not interested. If it was 700, then I am interested.” Inverness Courier.

Labour has stated in its manifesto that it will scrap anti TU laws. Am I imagining things or didn't Tony Blair say he would do this in 1997? I remember the SP making a big deal of this when I was a member.

Back
Top Bottom