Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Yeah I was wary of voting for them for this reason but there were plenty of pro trans statements in the manifesto and the local greens seem sound. However, I heard that last year several transphobes were expelled? Do you know more about this?
Not a great deal. I wasn't a member last year. I knew one of the transphobes, Shahrar Ali, who I met during a training session, and he was very supportive at the time. He wanted a selfie with me, then a couple of years later we met at Pride ad he again took a Selfie of us and Tweeted it. So he obviously got turned after that by gender criticals, and as he has blocked me on X now I don't know much more.

This gives background on the trans issue in the Greens E&W.

Yes Zoe Hatch was a councillor where I lived before.

Not a great deal. I wasn't a member last year. I knew one of the transphobes, Shahrar Ali, who I met during a training session, and he was very supportive at the time. He wanted a selfie wit me, ten a couple of years later we met at Pride ad he again took a Selfie of us an Tweeted it. So he obviously got turned after that by gender criticals, and as he has blocked me on X now I don't know much more.
Typical politician. :(

This gives background on the trans issue in the Greens E&W.

Oh er... well... My SDP acquaintance was running against a more well known transphobe then :facepalm: 1373 votes between the two of them.

What's extremely noticeable about this is that it's not trans people being extremely fucking weird, it's a load of very weird cis people who try and yell about trans people in a way which is horrendous and then scream about being oppressed when everyone else goes "uhh bit weird, I want nothing to do with you".

What's extremely noticeable about this is that it's not trans people being extremely fucking weird, it's a load of very weird cis people who try and yell about trans people in a way which is horrendous and then scream about being oppressed when everyone else goes "uhh bit weird, I want nothing to do with you".
Fuck around and find out. They aren't used to their opinion not being the prevailing one so have a tantrum about it.

Same thing in the US when people seem to get surprised saying stuff bit them in the ass and shout about freedom of speech. Which is misapplied anyway and then doesn't protect from the consequences of speech

Yeah, I transitioned 10 years ago and the last 4/5 I don't even really think about being trans. I just try to live my life. It's the constant weirdness from cis people that keeps me from just living a quiet life, and not having to shout about trans issues all the fukcing ime.

Yeah, I transitioned 10 years ago and the last 4/5 I don't even really think about being trans. I just try to live my life. It's the constant weirdness from cis people that keeps me from just living a quiet life, and not having to shout about trans issues all the fukcing ime.
Unfortunately there's always tossers like the eejit upthread. It's cowardly and adds zero to any conversation.

Cancelled the Rwanda nonsense so that's a start.
oh really? That great news. Low hanging fruit though. I heard one of the back room boys on radio four yesterday explaining how Blair's strategy was to announce early, easy wins to convince the voters that he meant business, because after that there would be a long period where it seemed that nothing was changing, or maybe even getting worse.

I wrote this to my MP:

Dear Anneliese,

I wanted to congratulate you for getting back in to Parliament. I am very happy to see the back of the Tory government. However, this time I could not vote for you due to being quite troubled by Starmer's rhetoric in recent weeks on LGBT issues.

His statement which appeared to suggest that trans women should not access women's spaces even with a GRC would be contradictory to the Equalities Act which Labour passed in 2010.

Some of my trans friends are alarmed by the prospect of anti trans policies comtinuing, and by the fact that Starmer has shown willingness to, for example, meet with JK Rowling who most recently endorsed a vote for Communist Party of Britain because it took an opposing stance on transgender issues. Rowling also has a close friendship with Baroness Emma Nicholson who campaigned against same sex marriage. Furthermore, Rosie Duffield remains in the party despite a track record of transphobic comments and criticism of Starmer himself. As a lesbian myself this lack of willingness to confront prejudice against the LGBT community concerns me deeply.

Next time I would love to vote for you but did not feel able to on this occasion. Please let me know what Labour will do for the LGBT community as a positive step so that I can feel confident in voting Labour next time.

Kind regards,

Yeah I was wary of voting for them for this reason but there were plenty of pro trans statements in the manifesto and the local greens seem sound. However, I heard that last year several transphobes were expelled? Do you know more about this?
Oh, and my approach now is to vote Green as long as the candidate appears not to be a transphobe. If they make anti trans statements then I'll be approaching the local party about getting them deselected.

Couple of the local Greens I started following on Twitter in 15-16 seem to have become transphobics but they also seem to have stopped being members, possibly because of that.

Couple of the local Greens I started following on Twitter in 15-16 seem to have become transphobics but they also seem to have stopped being members, possibly because of that.
I don't follow it that closely any more, for mental health reasons, but it does feel like the GPEW have turned a corner on this now. I don't even care is someone is a transphobe tbh, its when they are campaigning publicly against trans people in defiance of the GPEW's official policy, or actively seeking to make trans people in the party feel unsafe (which is why i left a few years ago).

Rwanda per se, but not the offshoring principle.

View attachment 432213
We'll be like the Tories, just better at it.

That's their whole message.

In the news today, their first priority on taking office is 'tackling illegal immigration'. :(

AND they are such cowards. They drop their fuckin bomb and leg it. None of them stick around to argue their case. Mainly because its inarguable but also, because they are such cowards.
Clearly, it was a drunken rage post or they did it for the lols because there's no way they can ever justify or explain their phobic nonsense.

Obviously, though , the thread doesn't need that kind of bile.

Back
Top Bottom