Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Hendon is a weird one. It was Labour in 1997, and it was a tight marginal most of this century, including the Corbyn era in an area with a strong Jewish vote. On paper, you’d have expected a secure Labour win this time round.

Barnet Conservatives were hitting the Khan/ULEZ stuff for all it was worth, maybe that just plays well in Hendon for some reason.

Labour also have a lower share of the vote there than 2019 (-2.5%). Could it in fact be that they were not so much efficient as lucky?

Very welcome news.

I don't have a GRC. You can't get a GRC at least for 2 years and some of us never manage to get one because of the over stringent rules about what evidence you need to provide. In order to get a GRC you need to live as your "acquired" gender for two years, which includes using the correct toilets for your "acquired" gender without a GRC. These are rules handed to us from the government and so if the government now tell us we aren't allowed to do the thing that they have been telling us we have to do then fuck the bastards, it'll be a continuation of the shit that's been going on for the last 10 years. It's hardly good news - its pulling up the draw bridge - saying, if you have a GRC, fine, but with discontinuation of treatment for young people, and effectively preventing new people from getting GRC's we're closing the door on trans people being able to legally exist.

Also telling trans women they need a GRC is effectively giving the go ahead for nasty fuckers to demand that we provide our GRCs when we use a toilet, which is illegal.

I feel like "misogynist cunt" is in the same vein as calling someone an ageist boomer. Like you're trying to use an accusation of misogyny to justify one bigotry, but can't quite stop yourself from showing the other one as well.

(I know cunt is used more broadly too especially in Scotland/Oz, but just an impression I'm getting here).

Right, yes. So, would rather have IDS as an MP rather than another left-wing MP.

They're not even hiding it, and yet still people will claim they're centre-left.
And now, without the 'cover' of a government everyone can agree is shite, their factional spite can be exposed for the counter productive element it clearly is.

Gotta say I'm finding some of the yimbyist proposals from Labour a bit hard to swallow lol. Planning reform is clearly needed and I defo think the ban on on shore wind farms etc needs to be reversed but I'm not convinced about blanket tearing up planning regulations lol. In my old seat, which is solidly Tory, roads were constantly gridlocked and developers were rumoured to be bribing people on the council to buy up land and get planning permission, where they would build developments that were totally unaffordable for local people anyway. Or buy up places, dig up fields etc and do nothing with it for years. Clearly more housing needs to be built but there's also plenty of empty homes sitting around not to mention second homes tbh. Having easy access to the countryside and green spaces is one of the best things about living in much of the UK tbh and I'm concerned some of this will just make it easier for developers to do what they want with little or no benefit for local people anyway.

I'm willing to be convinced though :D

Last edited:
Gotta say I'm finding some of the yimbyist proposals from Labour a bit hard to swallow lol. Planning reform is clearly needed and I defo think the ban on on shore wind farms etc needs to be reversed but I'm not convinced about blanket tearing up planning regulations lol. In my old seat, which is solidly Tory, roads were constantly gridlocked and developers were rumoured to be bribing people on the council to buy up land where they would build developments that were totally unaffordable for local people anyway. Or buy up places, dig up fields etc and do nothing with it for years. Clearly more housing needs to be built but there's also plenty of empty homes sitting around not to mention second homes tbh.

I'm willing to be convinced though :D

It's all there is left to sell.

Gotta say I'm finding some of the yimbyist proposals from Labour a bit hard to swallow lol. Planning reform is clearly needed and I defo think the ban on on shore wind farms etc needs to be reversed but I'm not convinced about blanket tearing up planning regulations lol. In my old seat roads were constantly gridlocked and developers were rumoured to be bribing people on the council to buy up land where they would build developments that were totally unaffordable for local people anyway. Or buy up places, dig up fields etc and do nothing with it for years. Clearly more housing needs to be built but there's also plenty of empty homes sitting around not to mention second homes tbh.
Thi is where i think the Greens have exactly the right policies for housing - bring back empty properties into use, allow councils to purchase properties for letting, regulate the renting sector, etc. Not read them in a while but they seemed eminently sensible unlike anything I've seen from a major party.

Thi is where i think the Greens have exactly the right policies for housing - bring back empty properties into use, allow councils to purchase properties for letting, regulate the renting sector, etc. Not read them in a while but they seemed eminently sensible unlike anything I've seen from a major party.
Where do greens stand on transphobia these days? I tried researching it but couldn't find any clear info. I know the candidate in my old seat last election was 'gender critical' but could not find any info on whether she was kicked out or not.

Has no-one photoshopped a Cos lettuce over her face yet?
U75 photoshoppers, you disappoint me :D
within minutes after being up all night after a half crate of 6% bishops finger before I finally went to bed .......iceburg though and it landed on her head :thumbs:

Her spaced out facial expression after being AWOL or lost then possibly going towards the sound of the slow hand claps to finally finding her way to the rest of the candidates / media waiting for her and result was worth keeping, she was clearly shell shocked or out of it in the interview in the hall immediately after too blaming it on lack of sleep before wandering off alone 🤣

Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 10-44-30 (1) The 2024 UK General Election - news speculation and upda...png

Last edited:
Where do greens stand on transphobia these days? I tried researching it but couldn't find any clear info. I know the candidate in my old seat last election was 'gender critical' but could not find any info on whether she was kicked out or not.
They have a very good policy , basically its the shopping list of what TERFs call "extreme trans activism". Not sure how to put my hands on it right now. They did expel one or two anti trans members a while back so its looking a bit better now. Though every conference the TERFs launch an attack on the pro trans polices, I don't think they'll ever win.

Last edited:

There wasn't anything stopping councils buying up properties, Worthing Borough Council, ironically when run by the Tories, purchased various former commercial properties, including pubs and care homes, and converted them into flats for the homeless, and those on the housing waiting list.

We need more councils doing that.

I don’t know about the Greens in England and Wales, but as an example Robin Harper, former Scottish Green leader, left the Greens to join Labour over his “gender critical” views.

New Labour tried to privatise what is now TfL and it failed spectacularly, so they might have a go at that again.

Yeah, and I'm sure they'll disembowel as much of the NHS as they can without causing a stink... But I was thinking about housing yesterday; there is just so much money in the sector, potential for sweet sweet growth etc. And if you're borrowing averse and need to make even the meagre changes labour intends, that money has to come from somewhere. Unfortunately on those terms doesn't really make sense to make it affordable. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

Yeah, and I'm sure they'll disembowel as much of the NHS as they can without causing a stink... But I was thinking about housing yesterday; there is just so much money in the sector, potential for sweet sweet growth etc. And if you're borrowing averse and need to make even the meagre changes labour intends, that money has to come from somewhere. Unfortunately on those terms doesn't really make sense to make it affordable. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.
Yeah there are plenty of new developments around here but it's difficult to access them without a car and they do not seem to be near many local amenities. And frankly 'affordable' being '80% of market rent' is a joke. what are labour gonna do to restore public transport routes in those areas?

I don’t know about the Greens in England and Wales, but as an example Robin Harper, former Scottish Green leader, left the Greens to join Labour over his “gender critical” views.
The Scottish Greens cut formal ties with the GPEW in 2022 because of transphobia so I know there are still grave problems. I rejoined recently and am still extremely wary of getting involved for that reason.

The Scottish Greens cut formal ties with the GPEW in 2022 because of transphobia so I know there are still grave problems. I rejoined recently and am still extremely wary of getting involved for that reason.
Yeah I was wary of voting for them for this reason but there were plenty of pro trans statements in the manifesto and the local greens seem sound. However, I heard that last year several transphobes were expelled? Do you know more about this?

This gives background on the trans issue in the Greens E&W.

The Green Party has cut official ties with one of its largest members' groups amid a dispute over the party's stance on sex and gender.

Senior members of Green Party Women (GPW) claim the group was "disaffiliated" because of their promotion of "gender-critical views".

A Green Party spokesperson said it suspended GPW for procedural reasons.

There are divisions within the Green Party about its approach to trans rights.

Eight members of the Green Party, including one former councillor, claim to have been expelled from the party for expressing gender critical views.
This week, eight members received a letter notifying them of their expulsion from the party. The letter claimed they had broken a clause of the party constitution which prohibits members from campaigning for someone who is standing against a Green Party candidate.

Seven of the eight members expelled had supported the campaign of Alison Teal, who was suspended from the Green Party in 2022 for arguing that sex is a biological characteristic which cannot change over time. She is now running as an Independent in Sheffield Central at the General Election.

Back
Top Bottom