Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

They've already started ... a cabinet that is made up of 90 per cent state educated rather than 90 per cent private school
While that's obviously preferable, I think we can all attest to the fact that state schools can also produce self-interested arseholes as well.

Simply having gone to a state school doesn't mean you're not going to dick over the public once you get into office.

"A price worth paying"

Said wee Ed Balls in respect of Starmer's factionalism keeping IDS in power. Not just any old Tory; the arch demon that savaged the welfare system.
Did he say for what it was a price worth paying? Simply keeping Shaheen off the Labour benches, or was there any more to it than that?

Did he say for what it was a price worth paying? Simply keeping Shaheen off the Labour benches, or was there any more to it than that?
I think he's referring to keeping the left out, Shaheen being the example here. AFAIK they haven't actually explained what their issue with her is, though we can speculate ofc.

Starmer's control freakery. Keep the left out even if that means keeping IDS in.

Their vote share in Brighton Kepmton went down as well, after booting out the leftie there too.

I voted Green in the end. I wrote a letter to my Labour MP explaining I could not vote for her due to recent seemingly transphobic statements by Starmer etc. I'm also not too clear on where Labour stand on some environmental issues tbh which seemed quite absent during the election.

I hope she replies. I sent her an email about Gaza back in February and her reply was in April, she said she couldn't reply as parliament was dissolved!

Wes Streeting having a 500ish majority is weirdly a return to his usual performance. When he took the seat from the Tories in 2015 he had a 589 majority,

Under Corbyn than blew out to 9k and 5k in 2017 and 2019, convincing Wes that it was because he was a Special Big Boy.

Now he's got his Special Big Boy Job but his majority is just 528. So he's done worse than ever.

Very possible that Health Secretary Wes Streeting is a 2029 election Portillo.
Or they'll just swap him to an easier seat for next time (not coventry please 🤞 )

Only one of the 92 English league clubs are now in a Tory constituency

Well, having read that article, I can add "what links Arsenal, Aston Villa, Leicester City and Blackburn Rovers?" to my list of questions for an imaginary pub quiz.

Only one of the 92 English league clubs are now in a Tory constituency

Nottingham Forest play in Rushcliffe, Ken Clarke's old seat. Guess the tories must've lost that too.

Fun fact: Nottingham Forest and Notts County are the two closest clubs in the football league. Only Notts County is actually in the city of Nottingham though.

Back
Top Bottom