Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Yeah, not convinced that a party that gets 70%+ of the seats on 39%of the vote is going to that hard on PR - the Tories might become converts, but I don't see much sympathy for them in the body politic.

Big thing is that quite simply, the quasi-Fascists are going to get 0.5-1% of the seats on 15+% of the vote. There's going to be a very large slice of that body politic who think that any unfairness to the LD's or Greens is a reasonable price to pay for not having 90+ Faragist MP's in the commons.
Yeah, fwiw, as far as I'm bothered either way, I suppose I'm vaguely in favour of PR because it's a more democratic system, if 15% or 30% or whatever proportion of people are supporting the far-right then that's a problem that you can't just magic away by not giving them enough seats, I don't think you can say that democracy's bad because people might make the wrong choice... but also, fundamentally, PR would destroy the Labour and Conservative parties in their current incarnations, and so I'm not going to hold my breath for a Labour, or indeed Tory, leader to go "alright everyone, I'm going to introduce a reform that will immediately cause our party to split and never be able to rule again except as part of a coalition."

Are you effing serious?
I like that he didn't question adoption of tory austerity policies, abandoning environmental commitments, support for genocide, weaponizing antisemitism accusations while taking no action against party employees who actually caused the problem, expelling thousands of labour members for no good reason including Black and Jewish ones ...

Back
Top Bottom