Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kirstie Allsopp discussion

We're renovating an old gaff because its all we can afford setting out in our 50's. I'm quite lucky though because I grew up with a dad in the building trade and he taught me to do so much of what I'm not having to pay someone to do now. It's going to take me a long time to get there but the relative cost means both me and the wife will have a gaff to retire in.

Every time the Mrs comes up with an idea that's completely impractical and beyond my means I call her Kirsty Allsop but then she does call me Tommy Walsh occasionally. I feel a bit guilty about it now though since I've read what an utter privileged cock Allsop sounds in that article.

Sorry Julie. x

As an older millennial ('84), I am all too aware of this and it is endlessly frustrating, beyond the usual "people ignorantly wanging on about something based on a fundamental misunderstanding of what they're talking about".

You're what they call a "geriatric millennial" 😁

A mere 25 years ago I was working alongside someone aged around 20 who’d just bought there first place while still on a seven grand a year YTS style training scheme. Totally possible then if you could put up with being in a rough area. In the north you could own your own home as long as you had the most basic of jobs. Most of my generation living up there bought houses, little sense in renting. Now you get couples both on decent ‘graduate’ wages who are nowhere near, rare to hear of anyone buying a place unless they get a big fat bung from their parents. Landlords fucked it all up buying absolutely everything.

I thought her argument today that no woman should ever criticise another woman in public was an interesting new development.

So I may have missed some nuance - it's no woman with a public profile should ever criticise another woman with a public profile. Unclear why exactly.

She seems to be insinuating there that the Times misquoted her.
Indeed. And to be fair, that’s not hard to believe.

I was misquoted by the Scotsman once. They defended it by saying it was what the reporter felt was the gist of what I’d said. I didn’t agree that it was, but apparently I didn’t need to in order for it to go in quote marks.

We bought our first house in 1997 as the repayments were cheaper than renting. House was £30k my salary was about £12k (very modest wage for average office admin job), saved up £1200 and borrowed £300 from my Ma for 5% deposit. Interest rates hovered around 8-9% at that time. It was sadly the end of a era for house prices reflecting average wages. £30k was the among upper end of prices for a 2 bed back-to-back in a half decent area of Leeds. Similar houses in less desirable areas could be had for just under £20k and, if you were fine with living in somewhere resembling shitsville, about £10k. Seems like a completely different planet today. Alsopp hasn’t got a fucking clue.

A few years ago Kirstie Allsopp was saying on twitter how disgusted she was by people keeping washing machines in their kitchen. They apparently should be in the hall, bathroom or a cupboard instead (yeah, right, everybody has room for a washing machine in a cupboard). She said she'd been only joking, but it showed how out of touch she was, and her indifference to people on low incomes. She got a load of flak and left twitter, but came back.

I remember that. I commanded my cleaner to move the washing machine to one of the bathrooms. It turned out that there wasn't quite enough room for it. Nightmare! And she did her back in getting it back down the stairs. Lesson learned. Make sure prospective help is rigorously tested for a weeks before offering the position. My latest filipina is promising but we'll see.

Our downstairs neighbours moved their washing machine into their hallway , which has managed to fuck off our next door neighbour who can now hear the vibrations against her wall . I can't hear it tbf .

If I wanted to move my washing machine out of the kitchen to the hall cupboard, it would require getting the built in cupboards ripped out the cupboard and the floorboards lifted to reroute the water pipes. It wouldn't even fit in the bathroom which is long but narrow, and again, some rerouting of pipes would be needed. And it's a tiled floor so that would have to come up and then be relaid.

Ridiculous amount of additional expense. What's wrong with having the washing machine in the kitchen anyway? We can't all have laundry rooms.

The toilet at the Star & Garter in Bristol was upstairs in a large family sized bathroom, with a washing machine in it.

Actually, thinking about it I guess it is possible I just inadvertently wandered into the publican's living quarters (every single time) 😱🤦🤷

The toilet at the Star & Garter in Bristol was upstairs in a large family sized bathroom, with a washing machine in it.

Actually, thinking about it I guess it is possible I just inadvertently wandered into the publican's living quarters (every single time) 😱🤦🤷
There used to be a pub near Kings Cross (its name escapes me) that had a tumble dryer and exercise bike at the entrance to the ladies. 🤷‍♀️

Sue - the pub near King's Cross is The Boot on Cromer St. I think the exercise bike is still there!

Reactions: Sue
Sue - the pub near King's Cross is The Boot on Cromer St. I think the exercise bike is still there!
That's it! Haven't been there in years, but glad to hear the exercise bike is still there! Has it gone all gentrified or is it still a bit down at heel?

Back
Top Bottom