Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kirstie Allsopp discussion

My first flat deposit was:

£2k from mum
£2k from absentee dad (guilted into it by mum)
£2k cashed in my life insurance policy
£2k from working a second job
£2k worth of Alliance and Leicester shares I got from them going public.

£10k deposit in total.
I recognise that I was very lucky.

I'll try and find an article I saw recently about how young people can buy a property without getting a hand from their parents. It was the usual about how much cheaper their mortgage was than their rent had been etc

Average deposit needed is £x, average income is £y and there was just one brief mention of the fact that their deposit was an inheritance from a grandparent.

So no handout from mum and dad required!

Reminder, the press is quite fond of saying Millennials and everyone assumes the under 25's but the definition of millennial is a birth date from 1981-1996. Millenials are starting to hit their 40's.

1644243357334.png

First (terrace) house I bought in the 70s as I recall cost £13,000.

Thatcher raised interest rates to around 17% at one point in the 80s mind.

Reminder, the press is quite fond of saying Millennials and everyone assumes the under 25's but the definition of millennial is a birth date from 1981-1996. Millenials are starting to hit their 40's.

View attachment 309124
As an older millennial ('84), I am all too aware of this and it is endlessly frustrating, beyond the usual "people ignorantly wanging on about something based on a fundamental misunderstanding of what they're talking about".

My wife and I were told we didn't earn enough for a mortgage, she's a teacher and I'm a librarian.
Don't feel too dispondent. It's reached the same level of stupidity with rent. I had to move a couple of years ago, found a place where I could afford the rent and the agency said I didn't earn enough to rent property from them.

As for allsop's bright idea of moving somewhere cheaper. I did that 12 years ago for cheaper rent. The snag is so did everyone else and now both rents and house prices are at the absurd end of ridiculously high in the place I moved to.

Basically, just compare when my parents bought the house I did most of my growing up in - a 4-bed detached with large garden in a London suburb. Three times my dad's salary - albeit quite a large salary for the time.

Husband and I were about 10 years older than my parents when we bought a 4-bed terrace with a tiny garden in a London suburb 34 years later. It was equivalent of x8 our joint income and only possible as we had two London properties to sell to form the deposit. And we're the lucky ones...

Don't feel too dispondent. It's reached the same level of stupidity with rent. I had to move a couple of years ago, found a place where I could afford the rent and the agency said I didn't earn enough to rent property from them.

As for allsop's bright idea of moving somewhere cheaper. I did that 12 years ago for cheaper rent. The snag is so did everyone else and now both rents and house prices are at the absurd end of ridiculously high in the place I moved to.
You have continually keep ahead of the curve by always moving to the cheapest area you can find.

Allsopp is an entitled shithead of course. But she has successfully built a 'brand' by appealing to commonly held attitudes and values.

Commonly but certainly not universally held, even among the home owning strata of society. This Sunday Times article is interesting in that regard. Here's a link to an archived version. The Times knew perfectly well her opinions would 'generate discussion' and they helped it along with the final two paragraphs they added which undercut her views.

L0riIum.png

Sure enough there is 'discussion' in the comments section. For example:

7yBWUJk.png

And when the article hit twitter shortly after publication even more 'discussion' was generated.

As one of the relatively lucky, albeit steadily diminishing, band of council tenants, I have to confess I find this particular example of the middle strata sneering at or being 'outraged' about one another, rather bleakly entertaining. I am, however, well aware that when they turn their attention back to the likes of me I'll be laughing on the other side of my face.

The "all young people need to do to buy a house is be careful with their money and get shitloads of money for a deposit from wealthy relatives" people might be even worse than the "I'm a financial genius with incredible foresight because I bought a house when houses cost £5 and I needed somewhere to live" people.

Yup. Sick of wanks like her & "Molly-Mae Hague" popping up and spouting ultra right wing bollox unchallenged.

And, if you dare challenge the shite that Molly-Mae came out with, you get accused of bullying. That's the card a few of my female FB friends have been playing. People too seduced by the money and glamour to see the problem.

A few years ago Kirstie Allsopp was saying on twitter how disgusted she was by people keeping washing machines in their kitchen. They apparently should be in the hall, bathroom or a cupboard instead (yeah, right, everybody has room for a washing machine in a cupboard). She said she'd been only joking, but it showed how out of touch she was, and her indifference to people on low incomes. She got a load of flak and left twitter, but came back.

She's been saying on twitter that this time it's journalists twisting her words. But she also says her dad had nothing to do with her career, which again shows how out of touch she is if she can't see that the privileges she's had since birth haven't impacted her education, work success etc, etc.

Despite my dislike of her, part of me thinks it must be pretty unpleasant for her to be getting the amount of piling-on that she has been, but then she could just stop commenting on what other people should do with their lives and how, because she really hasn't got a fucking clue, and because this bullshit really feeds into the nasty right-wing rhetoric of how you can get nice things if only you work harder and budget properly.

Basically, just compare when my parents bought the house I did most of my growing up in - a 4-bed detached with large garden in a London suburb. Three times my dad's salary - albeit quite a large salary for the time.

Husband and I were about 10 years older than my parents when we bought a 4-bed terrace with a tiny garden in a London suburb 34 years later. It was equivalent of x8 our joint income and only possible as we had two London properties to sell to form the deposit. And we're the lucky ones...
Actually, just realised this is wrong - the house my parents bought in 1981 was 1.5 times my dad's salary.

Despite my dislike of her, part of me thinks it must be pretty unpleasant for her to be getting the amount of piling-on that she has been, but then she could just stop commenting on what other people should do with their lives and how, because she really hasn't got a fucking clue, and because this bullshit really feeds into the nasty right-wing rhetoric of how you can get nice things if only you work harder and budget properly.

That's just part of being a public figure these days. Say stupid shit and there probably will be a push back.

I bought my first house when I was 23; all young people need to do now is what I did - sell the flat they and their siblings inherited from their relative and buy a house 21 years ago. Sorted.

This is all there is to it, yet kids today are too busy with TikTok to be bothered to save an inheritance to buy a house with :rolleyes:

I'm a millenial first time buyer, we're about to buy a very ordinary 3 bed semi that's 5.5x our (around average I think) joint income and can only do it by borrowing a huge amount from relatives :D
Haven't flown anywhere or been in a Starbucks for years and years.

Back
Top Bottom