Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Israel warns of Gaza 'holocaust'

There is a clear step-by-step process to walk through.

First, restore a semblance of normal life and prevent further killing on both sides.

Peoples cannot make just and wise descisions when under this amount of stress and in fear for their lives, whether Israeli or Palestinian.

I'd have to disagree.

First, remove outside political influence, the US from the state of Israel, and the Arab bloc from the Palestinian territories, this would assist in "restoring a semblance of normal life" far more thoroughly than anything else, IMHO.

some not all. I'm pretty sure that the ones i worked closely with would be bitterly upset if they thought that they were being lumped in with their more immoderate nationals.
Maybe. As a left wing Briton I have no problem accepting that a good portion of my material situation and opportunity is predicated on the wealth built up from slavery and empire.

I think we need to accept that, as with the populations of many nation-states, the population of Israel is, to some extent, politically inert, in that while they may express a preference in favour of left or right solutions, they tend to follow what the political elite decide, rather than pushing a separate agenda, and that this isn't down to complicity, but to complaisance.

To extend this further, it can be difficult to see the multiple social and ideological conflicts inside both Israeli and Palestinian societies that have arisen due to what is the longest running conflict in modern history. There is also a lack of distinction surrounding the conflict between the people and the political elite who are calling the shots, especially on the Israeli side, but also this is true for Palestinians.

I'd have to disagree.

First, remove outside political influence, the US from the state of Israel, and the Arab bloc from the Palestinian territories, this would assist in "restoring a semblance of normal life" far more thoroughly than anything else, IMHO.

To explain, I was focused only on attempting to remove the day-to-day fear that the other wants to kill you, which I know affects both Israeli and Palestinian people, and is exploited by media and political elite on both sides.

What you have suggested is defintely a step worth taking, but I feel that neither Palestinian nor Israeli citizens can wait for the elite to pull their fingers out of each others asses and with the majority on both sides asking for a ceasefire and negotiations, then they should have one.

Maybe. As a left wing Briton I have no problem accepting that a good portion of my material situation and opportunity is predicated on the wealth built up from slavery and empire.

Yeah, but your direct relationship to the actuality of the slavery and empire that enables your "situation and opportunity" is tenuous. The same is true of the vast mass of this world's working people.

"Most"? Please quantify, qualified majority, simple majority, what?

To save you time and effort you could, of course, admit that what you're airing is your perception rather than a factually accurate representation. :)
Yeah, of course it's a perception.

But, let's see - which Israelis benefit from the oppression of Palestinians?

* Any of them living in any part (the houses even) of Haifa, Tiberias, Acre, Jaffa, Jerusalem etc, formerly occupied by Arabs until driven out in 1948
* Any of them living on or from land formerly occupied by the 530-ish Palestinian villages ethnically cleansed in 1948 onwards
* Any of them who benefit from the $100m worth of bank revenues and businesses stolen from Palestinians in 1948 - indirectly that probably means anyone benefitting frm the protection of the Israeli state
* Any Israeli drinking water from the water table under the west bank, and arguably anyone taking it from what would have been the wells of the 520-plus villages
* Any Israeli that benefits from the suppression of economic activity, and therefore business rivalry of Palestinian businessmen
* Any Israeli who has benefitted from the Law of Return, which simultaneously bars Palestinians

Shall I go on? I think if you appreciate the benefits that have accrued to Israelis from their dispossession of the Palestinians it amounts to quite a lot to quite a lot of people

The majorities of both peoples are asking right now for a ceasefire on both sides. This is what both peoples want as an immediate action. The second action that both Palestinian leadership in the form of the Hamas, and the Israeli citizens in their majority (64%) are asking for is negotiations between the Hamas and the Israeli government.

Both these things are what the majorities of both peoples are asking for RIGHT NOW as a priority.

To extend this further, it can be difficult to see the multiple social and ideological conflicts inside both Israeli and Palestinian societies that have arisen due to what is the longest running conflict in modern history.
The nature of the conflict (low-intensity and asymmetric) doesn't help either.
I'd have to agree though, that the multiple and cross-fertilising ideological and social differences don't help, especially when actual communication between "sides" will always be exclusivist, and is anyway at a premium.
There is also a lack of distinction surrounding the conflict between the people and the political elite who are calling the shots, especially on the Israeli side, but also this is true for Palestinians.
And for the extra-territorial influencing agents behind both sides.

it doens't however equate that you are either supportive of or indeed endorse slavery merely bnecause oyu are in that sitaution.

Yeah, but your direct relationship to the actuality of the slavery and empire that enables your "situation and opportunity" is tenuous. The same is true of the vast mass of this world's working people.
I woulda thought the vast mass of the world's working people were victims of colonialism. And we still benefit from the leg up our primitive accumulation among the less fortunate of the world gave to the big UK businesses that still bring revenues back here from abroad

Yeah, of course it's a perception.

But, let's see - which Israelis benefit from the oppression of Palestinians?

* Any of them living in any part (the houses even) of Haifa, Tiberias, Acre, Jaffa, Jerusalem etc, formerly occupied by Arabs until driven out in 1948
* Any of them living on or from land formerly occupied by the 530-ish Palestinian villages ethnically cleansed in 1948 onwards
* Any of them who benefit from the $100m worth of bank revenues and businesses stolen from Palestinians in 1948 - indirectly that probably means anyone benefitting frm the protection of the Israeli state
* Any Israeli drinking water from the water table under the west bank, and arguably anyone taking it from what would have been the wells of the 520-plus villages
* Any Israeli that benefits from the suppression of economic activity, and therefore business rivalry of Palestinian businessmen
* Any Israeli who has benefitted from the Law of Return, which simultaneously bars Palestinians

Shall I go on? I think if you appreciate the benefits that have accrued to Israelis from their dispossession of the Palestinians it amounts to quite a lot to quite a lot of people

And that makes it valid to tar "most" Israelis with the same brush? The fact that members of a population have little choice or ability within the political and legal system to escape from participating in water theft, etc?

In fact, what percentage of the state of Israel's population live on stolen land, would you say?

To explain, I was focused only on attempting to remove the day-to-day fear that the other wants to kill you, which I know affects both Israeli and Palestinian people, and is exploited by media and political elite on both sides.

does that perception exist though. there is something which is there in the back of your mind when you are in tel aviv just as it is in london when you get on a tube or when you are in ulster istanbul the basque region etc it might happen but fear is too strong a word, acknowledge the dangers would be more true. That is from the Isreali perspective.

from the palestinian perspective however it's not a fear it's a reality and a daily sometime hourly one. both in Gaza and the West Bank... so again it's not a fear.

In fact, what percentage of the state of Israel's population live on stolen land, would you say?

erm techncially 100% :p if we take the nothion that as it was given away with out recourse or intent towards the localised population at the time or since. by thrid parties who had no right or legitmacy to do so in the first place. other than being an invading and occupying force at the time...

I woulda thought the vast mass of the world's working people were victims of colonialism.
That does tend to be a corollary of having a tenuous relationship to the apparatus and spoils of slavery and empire.
And we still benefit from the leg up our primitive accumulation among the less fortunate of the world gave to the big UK businesses that still bring revenues back here from abroad
Do we benefit directly, or are the benefits we derive, as I have claimed, tenuous?
For example, what percentage of the working population actually work for "big business"?

And that makes it valid to tar "most" Israelis with the same brush? The fact that members of a population have little choice or ability within the political and legal system to escape from participating in water theft, etc?
It's perfectly valid to set out the ways that most Israelis benefit from the oppresssion of the Palestinians.

It's not an abstract question is it? - the people who fire rockets at Israelis are the very people or their descendents who were pushed from their land and property (eg from Majdal/Ashkelon to Gaza in '48). If Israelis want peace they have to recognise that and say, 'Yes, we benefit from the terrible thing that was done to you but we realise we have to allow you to share in what was taken from you. Let's figure out a way of making a life together and make those who put us in this situation pay for what is necessary to do it.'

That does tend to be a corollary of having a tenuous relationship to the apparatus and spoils of slavery and empire.

Do we benefit directly, or are the benefits we derive, as I have claimed, tenuous?
For example, what percentage of the working population actually work for "big business"?
An interesting question. I'll think about it. It's getting off topic rather and I'm too busy to pursue this one and the issue at hand right now :)

does that perception exist though. there is something which is there in the back of your mind when you are in tel aviv just as it is in london when you get on a tube or when you are in ulster istanbul the basque region etc it might happen but fear is too strong a word, acknowledge the dangers would be more true. That is from the Isreali perspective.

from the palestinian perspective however it's not a fear it's a reality and a daily sometime hourly one. both in Gaza and the West Bank... so again it's not a fear.

As I said earlier, the threat and the force that can be brought to bear are asymmetric, The Palestinians are mostly tied up in their Bantustans with very poor logistics for the general population, and an ability to militarily resist the IDF that is close to non-existent, pretty much concomitant to the size of threat posed to the state of Israel in terms of the possibility for warfare.
The state of Israel, conversely, has the power, the logistics, the weaponry and the personnel to order pretty much what they like to be dome to the Palestinians. It actually benefits the state of Israel to exaggerate the threat to it's citizenry, as it benefits any govt that seeks to repress to exaggerate.

As I said earlier, the threat and the force that can be brought to bear are asymmetric, The Palestinians are mostly tied up in their Bantustans with very poor logistics for the general population, and an ability to militarily resist the IDF that is close to non-existent, pretty much concomitant to the size of threat posed to the state of Israel in terms of the possibility for warfare.
The state of Israel, conversely, has the power, the logistics, the weaponry and the personnel to order pretty much what they like to be dome to the Palestinians. It actually benefits the state of Israel to exaggerate the threat to it's citizenry, as it benefits any govt that seeks to repress to exaggerate.
i don't thinkt hat day to day though those threats to it's secruity are taken any more seriously than the weekly ones we get in the UK. Lie to your population and until an attack hits home then people become blaise about it....

In order to show true solidarity, you have to also extend your support to oppressed Israelis
Well, you're making rather a sweeping assumption if you think I don't. For the avoidance of doubt, I don't support the bombing of any civilians by anybody.

My point was about historical amnesia, not about blaming the Israeli working class for the actions of the Israeli state.

erm techncially 100% :p if we take the nothion that as it was given away with out recourse or intent towards the localised population at the time or since. by thrid parties who had no right or legitmacy to do so in the first place. other than being an invading and occupying force at the time...

I was proceeding from the basis of the original mandated territorial assignments, but I take your point (even though some small percentage of Palestine was actually Jewish-owned. :p). :)

It's perfectly valid to set out the ways that most Israelis benefit from the oppresssion of the Palestinians.
I haven't said that it isn't valid, I've questioned the limits of it's applicability.
It's not an abstract question is it? - the people who fire rockets at Israelis are the very people or their descendents who were pushed from their land and property (eg from Majdal/Ashkelon to Gaza in '48). If Israelis want peace they have to recognise that and say, 'Yes, we benefit from the terrible thing that was done to you but we realise we have to allow you to share in what was taken from you. Let's figure out a way of making a life together and make those who put us in this situation pay for what is necessary to do it.'
You're assuming that people see past indoctrination and the other methods used by the state to obscure and/or render invalid the realities of history. Our own experience of racism in the UK shows us that many people don't see past the smokescreen.
You see, we can talk about "Israelis" until the cows come home, but until the state mechanisms that militate against a clear view of the issues are removed, then we need to also be looking at tackling and rebutting the propaganda promulgated by the state of Israel and it's supporters. We need to acknowledge also that behind nationalist-Zionism stands a US-centric realpolitik that needs the state of Israel to remain as it is.

i don't thinkt hat day to day though those threats to it's secruity are taken any more seriously than the weekly ones we get in the UK. Lie to your population and until an attack hits home then people become blaise about it....

That seems (taking Ulster and 1950s Kenya as examples) to depend on how thoroughly you can inculcate a sense of threat in the base population (in Kenya the white settlers, in Ulster the Protestant Unionists, in the state of Israel it's citizens). Once you've done that, any threat, as long as it's interspersed occasionally with an actual "event", will work to ratchet up the tension, stopping people becoming blasé.

Is there no-one here who can talk some sense?

So, who, I wonder, will be the first to say 'not you.'

There are a few idiots who come to mind.

Over 112 Palestinians Killed in Five-Day Israeli Attack, Mohammed Omer Reports from Gaza
As Israel pulls ground troops from Gaza, Israeli aircraft continues to carry out bombing raids. On Sunday, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas formally suspended contacts with Israel to protest what he called a criminal war on the Palestinian people. We speak with Palestinian journalist Mohammed Omer and Israeli journalist Amira Hass.
http://www.democracynow.org/2008/3/3/report_from_gaza
real video stream

[...]any threat, as long as it's interspersed occasionally with an actual "event", will work to ratchet up the tension, stopping people becoming blasé.

I haven't said that it isn't valid, I've questioned the limits of it's applicability.

You're assuming that people see past indoctrination and the other methods used by the state to obscure and/or render invalid the realities of history. Our own experience of racism in the UK shows us that many people don't see past the smokescreen.

You see, we can talk about "Israelis" until the cows come home, but until the state mechanisms that militate against a clear view of the issues are removed, then we need to also be looking at tackling and rebutting the propaganda promulgated by the state of Israel and it's supporters.
In Israel, people are just not getting the full news about Gaza. This has long been the case - the last thing the Israeli government want are reports of the full extent of what is happening shown on mainstream news channels.
AMY GOODMAN: Amira, do you hear reports like this in Israel on Israel television or radio?

AMIRA HASS: This is exactly what I thought when I listened to Mohammed Omer, that this kind of news is completely absent from the news diet, the journalistic diet of Israelis [inaudible] Israeli. I, for personal reasons, am today in Tel Aviv and not in Ramallah, so I have not been listening to Palestinian or Arab radio and did not watch Arab TV, so I’m also—you know, I was stunned by hearing Mohammed Omer, even though I talk all the time with my friends in Gaza. And this is indeed life here—actually, I can report about how life sixty kilometers north to Gaza, how life is normal, how everybody—except for one demonstration yesterday, that the group of leftwing Israelis held in front of the Ministry of Security, Israeli Ministry of Security, there is nothing.

AMY GOODMAN: Yes, we can hear you fine.

AMIRA HASS: Yeah. You hear me, yeah. So there was one demonstration, and that’s it, and people live their life.

AMY GOODMAN: And the perception of what is happening now in Gaza, the comment of the Deputy Defense Minister saying that they will launch a “holocaust,” trying to get to be very careful. He’ll bring—he said, “The more Qassam [rocket] fire intensifies and the rockets reach a longer range, [the Palestinians] will bring upon themselves a bigger shoah [holocaust] because we will use all our might to defend ourselves.”

AMIRA HASS: OK. I must say that there is some misunderstanding here. Matan Vilnai was very, very insensitive to use the word—a word which can—which is, of course—it is shoah, what we all know is “holocaust.” But in Hebrew, it also means “disaster.” And here, I tend to believe that he didn’t mean to say that there will be a holocaust. He meant that the Palestinians will inflict upon themselves—and that’s what he said—the Palestinians will inflict upon themselves a worse disaster if they continue. This is the correct translation. Unfortunately—of course, he had to think about the words he was using, of course, because you say “shoah,” it’s not a neutral term anymore. But he didn’t mean “holocaust,” that’s for sure. So let’s—I think that here we should be accurate. Then Arab and Palestinian media picked up on it and made all kind of other, you know, media—

AMY GOODMAN: So, Amira Hass, what do you see then happening now? Tomorrow, Condoleezza Rice is expected to arrive, the US Secretary of State.

AMIRA HASS: I couldn’t understand.

AMY GOODMAN: What do you expect to see happening now? Tomorrow, the US Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, is arriving.

AMIRA HASS: Yeah, I—look, this has been—what is true is that Israel is opting all the time for an escalation. And I agree with Mohammed Omer that it only strengthens Hamas, even though Israelis say, claim that what they want to do is to topple Hamas, actually, by the attacks. And what happens is the opposite. So I tend to believe that maybe they only want to strengthen Hamas, and not only Hamas, but to strengthen those wings of Hamas or those currents in Hamas which oppose any, any sort of—how would I say—ceasefire with Israel and only opt for more struggle against Israel.

Look, as long as—Gaza is not separated from the West Bank. We see, even though the Israelis have succeeded, and unfortunately with the help of Abu Mazen and Hamas, have succeeded to disconnect Gaza from the West Bank. But the people feel it’s the same people. And we see, whenever Gaza is so atrociously attacked, people in the West Bank come out and protest. As long as Israel continues its policies of colonization and [inaudible]—and at the same time negotiations with never come to an end, I think that we can only wait for more escalation, more—maybe some weeks or days of tranquility, and then another outburst, another explosion. It seems like a perpetuum mobile of fightings and escalations.
I disagree with Hass. When the word 'Shoah' is used, most tend to think of HaShoah and this word has come to be used specifically for THE Holocaust.
VP said:
We need to acknowledge also that behind nationalist-Zionism stands a US-centric realpolitik that needs the state of Israel to remain as it is.
Sure. We all have to organise against the US and Israeli and EU "rejectionists" - Chomsky posits that the groundwork for this has not been laid, and I would agree with this view regardless of who expressed it.
http://www.democracynow.org/2007/11/27/not_through_annapolis_noam_chomsky_says

Agreed. We all face the problems of reality being obscured by the political and socio-economic systems.

You see, we can talk about "Israelis" until the cows come home, but until the state mechanisms that militate against a clear view of the issues are removed, then we need to also be looking at tackling and rebutting the propaganda promulgated by the state of Israel and it's supporters. We need to acknowledge also that behind nationalist-Zionism stands a US-centric realpolitik that needs the state of Israel to remain as it is.
Well, I agree with that too and I don't think I've said anything at variance with it. The truth about the continuing injustice rooted in the Nakba and of the geo-political forces that hold its effects in place need to be expounded, especially in Israel, and moves toward justice need to be made. Personally I think that can only happen when ordinary Israelis make common cause with their Palestinian brothers and sisters needs - and in the first instance that will be by refusing to turn their guns on them and refusing to deliver supplies to settlement building etc

We need to acknowledge also that behind nationalist-Zionism stands a US-centric realpolitik that needs the state of Israel to remain as it is.

i think it would be fairer to say needs the middle east in the state it is, after all it's not just Palestine.

It needs Palestine as the Catylist sure it's the foot hold with Israel being a thorn in Arab sides, but it needs the disharmony of Palestine because this ripples out to all the other states and forces the populations inside of the remaining states to squabble about their own responsiblites and therefore allows the US to maintain their stangle hold on the oil markets whilst at the same time pushing prices up due to 'instablity' which allows them to keep China in check...

careful china if you bugger about too much the oil might run out if the middle east kicks off...

the only possible manner in which i could see this being resolved is if chian went into both Israel and Palestine and said here stop fighting and guarentee our access to other states surronding you for oil with out US interference and the whole thing would be resolved over night...

In fact this is what i genuinely beleive is the intend of the constant visits by Condi to Israel to try and prevent this situation from happening...

Is there no-one here who can talk some sense?

So, who, I wonder, will be the first to say 'not you.'

There are a few idiots who come to mind.

what's your take on the socio-poltical matter then?

anything to say about the subject or is this yet again another Lumpy interjection to personally attack posters, without making single comment on the topic of discussion?

Back
Top Bottom